What's new

India can be $8 trillion economy in less than 15 yrs: Panagariya

Compound Interest Calculator   The Calculator Site.png

Attachments

• Compound-Interest-Calculator-The-Calculator-Site.png
    Compound-Interest-Calculator-The-Calculator-Site.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 38
This is wrong. If inflation is included than 8$ trillion is met much quicker. India has 5.4% interest rate? Put 13.4% into that calculator and see what happens. Please post the image too for us.

this is just a generic table gives us the likely scenario.

I didn't consider those factor while calculating these figures. I just take 2300 billion $ economy base and calculated the compound figure of 15 years.

If China can become 10 trillion dollar economy in less than a decade. Why do you find that India cannot become a 8 trillion dollar economy in 15 years?

Becos India is a democracy which is a hindering block for a high growth economy. :D

Becos India is a democracy which is a hindering block for a high growth economy. :D

India's economic growth potential higher than 7-7.5 percent - finance minister
NEW YORK | By Daniel Bases

Finance Minister Arun Jaitley speaks at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, June 18, 2015.
Reuters/Lucas Jackson
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said on Thursday that economic reforms in the legislative pipeline can push India's growth rate above the 7 to 7.5 percent range.

India's economy, Asia's third largest, is expected to grow 7.5 percent this year, according to the latest World Bank forecast, which would make it the world's fastest growing economy. The government forecasts growth of 8.1-8.5 percent while the central bank has a 7.6 percent gross domestic product growth target.

"Neither the government, nor the people, nor the industry whose representatives, some of whom are here, nobody is very excited about a 7-7.5 percent growth rate in India," Jaitley said during a discussion with Timothy Geithner, president of investment firm Warburg Pincus and a former U.S. Treasury Secretary.

"Because a series of reform fixes which are in the pipeline and are to be implemented, we have now identified all the problem areas, and I think one by one as we go resolving most of them, hopefully we should reach what our destination targets are," he said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, one year in power, has sparked optimism that he can implement economic reforms and alleviate bureaucratic overload in India that is seen as a hindrance to attracting foreign investment and ultimately stronger economic growth.

Jaitley took questions about the ability of India's government to push through and more importantly implement economic reforms to speed up infrastructure spending and streamline tax policies. He acknowledged the bottlenecks in both areas but said the government was making progress.

Modi has pledged to overhaul the nation's tax regime. However the pro-business government was caught flat-footed in a row with foreign portfolio investors over demands they pay the minimum alternate tax, for which they had not previously been liable.

Jaitley has said previously he hoped that the upper house of parliament would "soon" pass an enabling amendment that would make it possible to implement on time a new goods and services tax (GST) that would unify India into a common market.

The bill on the GST has been referred to a committee for discussion and Jaitley said there is a current majority among the committee in favour of the legislation.

Jaitley said he was focussed on implementing the tax measure by April 1, 2016, the start of the new fiscal year.

"This reference to the committee has actually shortened the window of time available to me. I now have to run faster to in order to catch up. If nothing unusual happens, hopefully I make it. So I am conscious of the time constraint," he said.

(Reporting By Daniel Bases; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli)

India's economic growth potential higher than 7-7.5 percent - finance minister| Reuters

So, improve your investment climate to increase the probability of reaching the said target !

the main reason why this project didn't materialise yet is due to the agitation of local tribal people who were brainwashed in to believing that this project would destroy the ecology and forests surrounding it.. this brainwashing was done by NGO's like greenpeace, which are funded by western countries..

POSCO- destroying communities and environment one step at a time! | Greenpeace Extra

curtailing these NGO's and improving our infrastructure along with reforming our laws and taxes are key to attract investments in to India.. we are done with NGO's, GST and reform laws are in the pipeline..

coming to posco exiting India, this is what the official statement from the company.

However, the company denied that it was exiting India. "That is not the fact. Due to no progress in the project area, much of office space was lying vacant in Odisha. It was decided to renovate the office space to a smaller area," a Posco spokesperson told PTI on being asked whether there are plans to exit 12 million tonne (MT) Odisha project. The company is reducing its unused office space and other expenditure as part of massive global cost restructuring programme, said a person in the know of developments. Posco has announced the restructuring programme, which involves reducing "30 percent of the overseas business within the Group". This will involve "early turnaround of newly run overseas business" as well as "dispose/liquidate/merger non core business within the group". In March as well, the company had said that it is not pulling out from the multi-billion project in the state.

Read more at: Posco vacates Odisha office; co denies exiting India - Moneycontrol.com

India's economic growth potential higher than 7-7.5 percent - finance minister
NEW YORK | By Daniel Bases

Finance Minister Arun Jaitley speaks at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, June 18, 2015.
Reuters/Lucas Jackson
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said on Thursday that economic reforms in the legislative pipeline can push India's growth rate above the 7 to 7.5 percent range.

India's economy, Asia's third largest, is expected to grow 7.5 percent this year, according to the latest World Bank forecast, which would make it the world's fastest growing economy. The government forecasts growth of 8.1-8.5 percent while the central bank has a 7.6 percent gross domestic product growth target.

"Neither the government, nor the people, nor the industry whose representatives, some of whom are here, nobody is very excited about a 7-7.5 percent growth rate in India," Jaitley said during a discussion with Timothy Geithner, president of investment firm Warburg Pincus and a former U.S. Treasury Secretary.

"Because a series of reform fixes which are in the pipeline and are to be implemented, we have now identified all the problem areas, and I think one by one as we go resolving most of them, hopefully we should reach what our destination targets are," he said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, one year in power, has sparked optimism that he can implement economic reforms and alleviate bureaucratic overload in India that is seen as a hindrance to attracting foreign investment and ultimately stronger economic growth.

Jaitley took questions about the ability of India's government to push through and more importantly implement economic reforms to speed up infrastructure spending and streamline tax policies. He acknowledged the bottlenecks in both areas but said the government was making progress.

Modi has pledged to overhaul the nation's tax regime. However the pro-business government was caught flat-footed in a row with foreign portfolio investors over demands they pay the minimum alternate tax, for which they had not previously been liable.

Jaitley has said previously he hoped that the upper house of parliament would "soon" pass an enabling amendment that would make it possible to implement on time a new goods and services tax (GST) that would unify India into a common market.

The bill on the GST has been referred to a committee for discussion and Jaitley said there is a current majority among the committee in favour of the legislation.

Jaitley said he was focussed on implementing the tax measure by April 1, 2016, the start of the new fiscal year.

"This reference to the committee has actually shortened the window of time available to me. I now have to run faster to in order to catch up. If nothing unusual happens, hopefully I make it. So I am conscious of the time constraint," he said.

(Reporting By Daniel Bases; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli)

India's economic growth potential higher than 7-7.5 percent - finance minister| Reuters

Has India in last 20 years ever hit 14% growth in a single year? :D Single digit is consider a low growth figure.

No no, India will soon become super powaaa. With its vedic technology it will reach sun, moon, mars, venus, everywhere!:woot::omghaha:

We have already reached moon & mars...Even with all its 'mullah' technology,Pakistan is yet to reach low earth orbit..lmao..:omghaha: :omghaha: :omghaha:

no matter how much you whine we will never succumb to the pressures of intl pharma countries.. call us cheats still doesn't matter... unlike your all weather friend we are not copy pasting western techs but rather producing generic drugs that is saving millions of lives all across the globe..

\ roohani taqat, and Saaaeencedaans

whats that ?? I thought pak was only an atomic kuwat...:(

India has a very bright future and will keep growing very fast. Perhaps not as fast as China did, but it's more organic and less driven by large government investments (which aren't bad, look at China's infrastructure). Let's hope many other countries can benefit from India's rise, just like many did from China's rise.

Back
Top Bottom