What's new

India story is about manufacturing

New Manufacturing Policy to Create 100 Million Jobs in India

An equally big question, just like your font size is..what happened to the supposedly "incredible & indigenous" economic planners singing the mantra of service sector based economy?? There is no escape from real hard production..i am telling ya!

Handset manufacturer Nokia has also bet big on India. As was pointed out by this paper recently, it's Sriperumbudur manufacturing facility in Tamil Nadu is its largest in the world. And over time, it has started sourcing a variety of components, ranging from numeric pads to chargers, locally as well, leading to a corresponding expansion in scale for these vendors as well. Or take metal castings. US castings imports are moving out of China — but not back to the US. Increasingly, Indian die casting manufacturers are acquiring work away from China – for products which are ultimately destined for US markets. In iron castings, US imports from China in 2010 rose 2.6 per cent ($5.5 million). But similar imports from India rose by a whopping 30 per cent ($19.8 million).

Oh god..i dont know about casting products but spare me from indian manufacturered nokia..honestly..it is a piece of SH_T and total waste of money...a fake china mobile last longer than that instead of dying a mysterious death! And never mind the shoddy plastic feel!

Many indians dont realize that as China is making strides to next generation of Industrial growth, many companies are finding it expensive to manufacture in China as it is no more a country of poor people with their bare hands, hence it is natrual to see lot of low-tech manufacturing to shift from China to India, but the Indians are getting all happy over getting "the china's share" while China pioneered the manufacturing economy 40 years ago while many indians today are still singing the service sector song..

^^^^^ No escape from a ignorant and ill informed post

1. We have and we will have a economy based on domestic consumption in which service sector will have a big role but we are also building manufacturing sector and raising its share in the manufacturing.

Do you know that recently India have moved into the 9th position in the world's top ten manufacturers??

2. What you have said about china is not completely true, its obvious that if at first place you do things with bare hands on second stage you move up with machines but no one is shifting high tech to china.

Go and get some info about service sector's share in the US economy.

An equally big question, just like your font size is..what happened to the supposedly "incredible & indigenous" economic planners singing the mantra of service sector based economy?? There is no escape from real hard production..i am telling ya!

Oh god..i dont know about casting products but spare me from indian manufacturered nokia..honestly..it is a piece of SH_T and total waste of money...a fake china mobile last longer than that instead of dying a mysterious death! And never mind the shoddy plastic feel!
Many indians dont realize that as China is making strides to next generation of Industrial growth, many companies are finding it expensive to manufacture in China as it is no more a country of poor people with their bare hands, hence it is natrual to see lot of low-tech manufacturing to shift from China to India, but the Indians are getting all happy over getting "the china's share" while China pioneered the manufacturing economy 40 years ago while many indians today are still singing the service sector song..

When people can't find any objective, informed sources to support their prejudices, they come up with personal anecdotes like this. "Oh my cell phone died, and it is all India's fault, blah blah". If you can find any informed analyses in reputed magazines that India's manufacturing is of low quality, do that. In particular for this claim of Nokia products manufactured in India. Your personal anecdotes carry no weight, especially since we all know that you are trying to assert something that would make you feel good, not something that is actually true. Earlier in the thread you said an economy based on IT outsourcing is not sustainable. I gave you the hard facts that less than 0.1 percent of our people are employed in that sector. Now, running out of any credible sources to paint a bad picture of the Indian manufacturing sector, you have started manufacturing your own facts and anecdotes.

Any fool can dish out personal stories of tragedy like this. "Oh my pants tore yesterday, therefore Chinese silk is all crap". (Don't ask me why I was was wearing silk pants in the first place.) "Oh I got dysentry yesterday from eating onions from pak, therefore all farmers in pak are..." Get the point?

And to any potential idiot who won't understand it, that last para was tongue in cheek sarcasm.

few weeks ago when i made fun about an economy dependent on IT outsourcing as non-sustainable..everyone jumped with a spear..not Indian journalists are writing the same thing!

Hows the Indian economy dependent on IT ? Do you even know how much of the GDP IT makes up ? Please do some research before you comment on such issues.

see post number 12

^^ the thread says that current crisis is golden opportunity

hope you get it now

Nissan is 100% controlled by French Renault. To assign some Japanese global hedging strategy to it is ridiculous. Watch the Top Gear review of the Indian Nissan. It is on iTunes.

India has no hope in manufacturing. It will be crushed by Malaysia at the low end and China on the high end. No hope but domestic consumption for which it needs to financed from abroad.

Do you know that recently India have moved into the 9th position in the world's top ten manufacturers??

give link my dear member

give link my dear member

In 2010, India was 10th in manufacturing when we consider nominal amount.

But, for PPP India was 5th (only slightly below Japan and Brazil, which given their growth rates will be overtaken in 2-3 years, I believe).

You have to consider that India is the second largest manufacturer of cement, fourth largest manufacturer of steel, second largest fertilizers ...... all that is nothing but manufacturing.

Nominal ranking is lower because - e.g. fertilizers are counted at the prices sold to farmer (i.e. the value of fertilizers production will be reduced by the amount of govt subsidies).

PPP is more realistic because 1 ton of urea produced in India and USA would be valued equally (under PPP counting) .... while for nominal value 1 ton of urea produced would be considered move valuable in USA than in India.

Here's the link:

List of countries by GDP sector composition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The number is denominated as USD, which is based on strength of rupee, also your industrial output is actually shrinking.

The number is denominated as USD, which is based on strength of rupee, also your industrial output is actually shrinking.

Nominal output (measured in USD) : (i) decreases if USDINR goes up, and (ii) increases due to inflation.

Inflation and USDINR cancel out after fluctuations settle down .... what matter is only the real growth. And then, to take one quarter's provisional number as a long term trend doesn't make sense.

PPP number only counts real growth - no effect of USDINR or inflation .... hence is always smooth and realistic.

So, in real terms India is the 5th largest manufacturing country, and will be 3rd in 2-3 years.

So.. yes ... a large part of the economy is manufacturing ... and it will continue to play a significant role in the economy.

A depreciating currency is horrendous for manufacturing.

Labor costs are miniscule in the overall cost of most products. China's big exports like steel, cement, chemicals and polymer materials are process goods that can only be made by machine, and not any amount of labor.

A depreciating currency means increasing raw material costs and increasing transportation fees.

Germany had a strong mark for all of history and also had a strong manufacturing sector.

A depreciating currency is horrendous for manufacturing.

Labor costs are miniscule in the overall cost of most products. China's big exports like steel, cement, chemicals and polymer materials are process goods that can only be made by machine, and not any amount of labor.

A depreciating currency means increasing raw material costs and increasing transportation fees.

Germany had a strong mark for all of history and also had a strong manufacturing sector.

What are you talking about? The deutsche mark underwent one of the worst hyperinflations known to history, between the world wars. There is an iconic picture of a german woman burning currency notes to keep herself warm because it was cheaper than anything (including wood) that the notes could buy:

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/Inflation1923.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_in_the_Weimar_Republic

Back
Top Bottom