What's new

Indian clerics issue fatwa against makers of Muhammad: The Messenger of God

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Mumbai-based Raza Academy has called for Muslims to reject Majid Majidi’s $35m Iranian epic, which it claims is sacrilegious and makes a mockery of Islam

f18be0a8-88d8-44d0-8920-2c80554ea75e-2060x1236.jpeg

Majid Majidi, centre, during the filming of Muhammad: the Messenger of God. Photograph: Mohammad Foghani/AP

An Indian Islamic group has issued a fatwa against Iranian film-maker Majid Majidi and the Oscar-winning Indian composer AR Rahman over the depiction of the prophet Muhammad in a new film, reports the Indian Express.

The Mumbai-based Raza Academy called for Muslims to reject Muhammad: The Messenger of God, a big budget Iranian film which has courted controversy by including shots of the prophet’s back, via a low-angle shot of a teenage Muhammad against the sky, and his hands and legs as a baby. Many Muslims, in particular those from the dominant Sunni tradition, see physical depictions of Muhammad as taboo, and the academy said the new film made a mockery of the religion.

Clerics also remarked that the $35m (£22.7m) film featured professional actors, including some non-Muslims, in key roles. The fatwa accuses Majidi and Rahman of sacrilege and calls for them to re-solemnise their marriages and re-read the kalima, an essential tenet of Islam. The academy had previously written to Indian government and Maharashtra state ministers calling for them to ban Majidi’s film, which is expected to be the first of a trilogy.

Muhammad: The Messenger of God shows the prophet’s life from birth to the age of 13, largely in flashback. The film has also been denounced by Egypt’s al-Azhar university, which called into question whether the actor playing the prophet might later portray a criminal, leading viewers to associate Islam with crime.

Majidi’s film is the first on the subject since Moustapha Akkad’s 1977 film The Message, and the first to visually depict the prophet, though a rival Qatari team is currently said to be developing its own Muhammad franchise. The epic screened at the Montreal film festival last month to positive reviews, with the Guardian’s Phil Hoad praising “an evocative and engrossing account of Islam’s gestation”. Sequels are expected to cover the prophet’s life from age 13 to his 40s, and finally the period from middle age to his death in which Mohammad became the prophet of Islam.

The Messenger of God was shown to select Iranian film-makers, critics and tastemakers in February and reportedly made $60,000 on its 27 August debut at 143 cinemas in Iran.

Indian clerics issue fatwa against makers of Muhammad: The Messenger of God | Film | The Guardian

lolz no idea what their problem is! The bit in blue is author's spicy versions of things. The one in red shows loony behaviour

Well if you wanna know something about Islam its seems it can be a good movie especially for Hindus in India. But we can't do anything about it if muslims themselves are trying to oppose this. .
Movie released in Iran with mildly mixed reactions .

A lot of films that criticise Hindusim have been released in here .And alots of Chrisitanity oriented film like Da Vinci Code also released .So they cant oppose these film .This is against the freedom of expression.

:D: What about giving fatwa to this messenger of god movie

P.S.- If you die by watching the trailer, please be the messenger give my best wishes to god :p:

IN07_RAHMAN_523470_2547533f.jpg

Music director A.R. Rahman writes back after fatwa - The Hindu

"We are indeed fortunate and blessed to live in a country like India where religious freedom is practiced."
In a message that went up first on his Facebook page Monday evening, A.R. Rahman reacted to the fatwa issued against him by a Mumbai-based group for scoring the music for the Iranian Muhammad: Messenger of God. “My decision to compose the music for this film was made in good faith and with no intention of causing offence.”

In a one-page statement that generously quotes from the Quran, Rahman says, “I didn’t direct or produce the movie “Muhammad: Messenger of God”. I just did the music. My spiritual experiences of working on the film are very personal and I would prefer not to share these.”

Raza Academy, on Friday last week, initiated the fatwa that was issued by Muhammad Akhtar, the Chief Mufti of Mumbai, against the Iranian director of the film, Majid Majidi, Rahman and other co-workers of the film. Saeed Noorie, chief of Raza Academy, said, “They have erred and they must apologise.”

In his message, Rahman seeks to quote Mr. Noorie from an interview to a journal on why he believes it was important to voice a complaint, to his own ends. Mr. Noorie, as Rahman quotes him, makes the argument that as Muslims it was imperative for them to do something about it as it was against their religion, so that later when they face Allah, he does not chide them for doing nothing to stop this from happening.

Rahman explains: “In fact the decision [to compose music for the film] was based on a similar point of view as expressed by Mr. Noorie. What, and if, I had the good fortune of facing Allah, and He were to ask me on Judgement Day: ‘I gave you faith, talent, money, fame and health… why did you not do music for my beloved Muhammad film? A film whose intention is to unite humanity, clear misconceptions and spread my message that life is kindness, about uplifting the poor, and living in the service of humanity and not mercilessly killing innocents in my name.”

He goes on to comment on recent attacks on the Prophet, and offers a path of peace: “Today there is a blur between the real world and the virtual world and I have been taken aback to see that, for some years now, unethical, unacceptable and unkind remarks are made online concerning the Holy Prophet. These abhorrent comments are no doubt due to a lack of understanding. I have always felt that we must counter this reaction with love and kindness, and through the audio-visual media reach out to people who wish to broaden their understanding.”

Rahman bats for religious freedom in India, “We are indeed fortunate and blessed to live in a country like India where religious freedom is practiced and where the aim of all communities is to life in peace and harmony sans confusion and violence.”

While beginning his note with a straight-forward declaration, “I am not a scholar of Islam. I follow the middle path and am part traditional and part rationalist. I live in the Western and Eastern worlds and try to love all people for what they are, without judging them,” Rahman goes on to end on a similar tone, though with an appeal. “Let us set a precedent in clearing conflict with grace and dignity and not trigger violence in words or actions. Let us pray for forgiveness, and from our hearts bless those who suffer in the world and bless the country that we live in. To so pray is to reflect the noble and enlightened nature of our beloved Muhammad.” And he signs off with an Aameen.

These clerics can issue whatever fatwa they want, it won't stop people from seeing the movie.

Only fair that Indians issue a fatwa against an Irani. Iran issued a fatwa 30+ years ago against Salman Rushdie.

VHP appeals to A.R. Rahman to return to Hinduism - The Hindu

Updated: September 16, 2015 17:39 IST
Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Wednesday asked noted music director A.R. Rahman, whose composition for a film on Prophet Muhammad has invited a fatwa against him, to re-convert to Hinduism, saying it was time for his “ghar-wapsi.”

VHP joint general secretary Surendra Jain said Hindus will “welcome” the noted composer with open arms.

“The fatwa against Rahman is very unfortunate and what is more unfortunate is the language of revenge in it... He composed music for a film not on the basis of any religion.

“I will appeal to Rahman... he should return, he should do ghar-wapsi. The Hindu society is waiting for its son. We will not only welcome him with open arms but also ensure that no harm is done to him irrespective of how many fatwas are issued,” Mr. Jain told reporters.

‘Ghar-wapsi’ has been a controversial programme run by certain Hindu groups aimed at ‘re-converting’ Muslims and Christians back to Hinduism.

Mumbai-based Raza Academy had objected to the film Muhammad: Messenger of God — directed by Iranian director Majid Majidi and music composed by Rahman — and issued a fatwa against both, calling the movie against Islam.

Rahman has said he composed the music “in good faith and with no intention to cause offence.”

Just another of chutiya fatwas.

Fatwas are non binding and those who have issued the fatwa has already got answer from A R Rahman.

“We are indeed fortunate and blessed to live in a country like India where religious freedom is practiced and where the aim of all communities is to life in peace and harmony sans confusion and violence.”

What, and if, I had the good fortune of facing Allah, and He were to ask me on Judgement Day: ‘I gave you faith, talent, money, fame and health… why did you not do music for my beloved Muhammad film? A film whose intention is to unite humanity, clear misconceptions and spread my message that life is kindness, about uplifting the poor, and living in the service of humanity and not mercilessly killing innocents in my name.”

played with a straight bat !

Back
Top Bottom