What's new

India's War Budget World's 3rd Biggest Despite High Poverty

True, because you cannot discount the buying power of currencies, the strength of the dollar is a pillar of America's economic power. That's why nominal GDP matters more.

Maybe on the day when you can buy 1 USD for 1 Rupee that might change. Interesting fact, the original conversion rate was actually 1:1 when the Rupee was created.

Maybe that is why India is still using 32 rupee per day as the poverty line.

Myth of #India as an Upcoming Asian #Economic Powerhouse. Rising #Poverty and Social Inequality. #Modi https://shar.es/18TzGH via @grtvnews

India is no doubt one of the biggest democracy in the world; because it has the highest population, Simple! (China highly populist, and officially “communist”). India is the second biggest nation in the world in terms of population and seventh largest in terms of area. According to the IMF as of 2015, the Indian economically nominally worth US$ 2.182 trillion, it, it’s the eleventh largest economy in terms of market exchange rates at US$ 8.027 trillion, third largest by PPP, with an annual GDP growth of last decade’s 5.8%.[1]

These numbers in retrospect are nonsense which feed the illusion to the general public so they can keep on living like they are in a hope that their life will get better.

These numbers do not represent the true picture of the country, not only India`s but any country. Like GDP can be a good indicator, but the real measure is GDP per capita. Which measures how a single person achieves the share of income among its citizens. When it comes to India the GDP is $2.182 trillion, but per capita income is only $1581 which is not much higher than Bangladesh`s $1086 and Pakistan’s $1316 per capita, but less among many African countries, like Nigeria $3203, South Africa $6,482, Zambia $1721, Sudan $1875, Namibia $5408, Ghana $1441, Djibouti $1813, Botswana $7123 and many more to mention here.[2] In fact, India is like “ticking time bomb” by 2026 the world population will be 1.5 billion largest in the world and the economy is not growing enough to meet the demands to create 20 million jobs per year.[3]

Yes, I know India is part of BRICS and they have announced in creating their own kind of bank but then what? India still owes money to the IMF; their public debt to GDP is nearly 70%,[4] Likewise, India is worst in terms of BRIC countries when it comes to GDP per capita, human development, education, poverty and so forth. India is lagging behind in BRIC countries. And Yes, then there is IT, the huge investments in India by the foreign companies just because those corporation can have cheap labor rather than paying their people in home countries with high wages. The beauty of globalization which no body mentions and no one talks all they care to show people the random numbers and apathy of people to consent without barely eliciting a yawn.

One of the main hurdles in the progress of India is poverty, poverty which should have been brought under control, but in India it is more or less same ratios of poverty post-independence.

[5]

The figure shows the total population every decade with poverty in percentage and how much the poverty has declined in India, the percentage may have decreased, but the total number of people living under the poverty line has been more or less same.

To combat poverty the country introduced anti-poverty policies, to help people living under the poverty line but according to World Bank report in some states more than 50% were misclassified as poor in other words they were not poor but reaped full benefits from these polices, but still by no means can these policies achieve their true objective, even without corruption free. How anti-poverty policy can and will work which make the poor`s dependents on government`s mercy rather than concentrating on human development by educating poor people, training and developing them so they can take care of themselves, the government chose spoon feeding. Human development is not alien Jerry Sternin owner of an NGO based in the United States helped Vietnam reduce malnourishment in 1990s without bringing a single dollar in the country, his work was finished in 6 months or so. Seeing good things in anti-poverty policy is like a finding a needle in a needle box with a needle.

The figure shows two very important things how India fare among BRIC countries and Second the working poor in India out of Total Employed working in India. Many poor people are not those who don’t have job, in fact some poor are with jobs but their wages are low compared to International standards and it becomes difficult for them to increase their living standards.

The mistake which people generally make is when they start comparing India with Pakistan or Bangladesh, this is incorrect for many reasons, India is an enormous big country, its market share, volume is big, its population is big it should be compared more with China. China went in more difficult level in combating poverty than India, but being a communist, it has reduced poverty effectively. It’s also true that in China the gap between Rich and Poor is widening but better to have that gap rather than letting your people live in poverty.

Since 1980 China has significantly brought people out of poverty where India has failed to achieve substantial reduction

In retrospect, not in even the next two decades, India can reduce poverty, for many reasons; first, the policies they have introduced which I have discussed earlier are still in practice. Second, the focus of these policies as I have mentioned earlier is not sincere and not focused on human development; the nuisance still and will continue. Third, even they all of a sudden change the policy, let’s say tomorrow and bring fair policy with no corruption; even then it will take decades to achieve and reduce levels of impoverishment. This melancholy reality gives the notion of hubris and musing thinking that prevails in the country which is heedless in their direction unfortunately.

Well. To be honest, I don't think having such high poverty rate means. Country should not spend on its deence needs, especially when they face threats and still have disputed borders with others(Pakistan and China).
In fact even in the article the OP posted, we can see China has the world's 2nd largest number of extreme poor people after India. Does that means the Chinese spending over $200bilion in defence is wrong despite many Chinese living in poverty?
Of course not, They need it since they also need to face threats in their neighbourhood and defend their interests in the region. SO WE SHOULD learn to put things into perspective. This topic is outright wrong IMO
Stop yr BS mike. China has a 12 trillion economy. We are in fact under spending. India economy despite bragging as 3rd largest economy in Asia projected to spend more than Japan which has a far bigger economy and lesser population.

Which is why it lags to what the military and hardliners want. It will increase eventually as the extremism within the government and people increases.
@Oscar
Oh,so it is extremism that drives military budget ,I mean I never knew that? Anyways,I would refrain from touching upon subjects I do not have command over. As for the budget though,In spite of what I personally wish,will only increase if and only if approved by the finance ministry. Kindly bear it in mind that over this side of the border,it is not the military chief who runs the show and produces the bills at the end. Over here finance minister decides what to allocate and how much to allocate. In fact in one of the meetings,they(defence minister) clearly asked for a 3% share but was given only 1.9%!
My point is,regardless of what you or what I wish or think,the budget increases only if the "economy" allows it do so. And thankfully economy has been kind to us,and that is the reason one can see decent amount of funds being allocated for research--kindly google COPT and NCCRD at IIT Madras and their research footprint!
Thanks in advance!

@Oscar
Oh,so it is extremism that drives military budget ,I mean I never knew that? Anyways,I would refrain to touch upon subjects I do not have command over. As for the budget though,In spite of what I personally wish,will only increase if and only if approved by the finance ministry. Kindly bear it in mind that over this side of the border,it is not the military chief who runs the show and produces the bills at the end. Over here finance minister decides what to allocate and how much to allocate. In fact in one of the meetings,they(defence minister) clearly asked for a 3% share but was given only 1.9%!
My point is,regardless of what you or what I wish or think,the budget increases only if the "economy" allows it do so. And thankfully economy has been kind to us,and that is the reason one can see decent amount of funds being allocated for research--kindly google COPT and NCCRD at IIT Madras and their research footprint!
Thanks in advance!

According to Pakistanis, only in India extremism drives military budgets, or as their PM said all those attacks on our camps in kashmir, jammu and punjab were carried out by indian extremists. When china takes over islands by force, draws arbitrary lines in water ( when india accepts water decisions favorable to bangladesh), builds artificial islands in disputed waters (disputed because of that line btw) then china is only acting according to their genuine security needs.

RIP logic, long live sycophancy!

According to Pakistanis, only in India extremism drives military budgets, or as their PM said all those attacks on our camps in kashmir, jammu and punjab were carried out by indian extremists. When china takes over islands by force, draws arbitrary lines in water ( when india accepts water decisions favorable to bangladesh), builds artificial islands in disputed waters (disputed because of that line btw) then china is only acting according to their genuine security needs.

RIP logic, long live sycophancy!
Again,since politics is not my subject,wont touch it. As for what Pakistanis think, it's something one has no control over. Lately I've reduced the frequency of comments because I came to realize that a lot of members not only buy fanboy/conspiracy theories but also believe in them. And I'm not talking about some random joe but senior members.however They'd falter at the very prospect of backing their claim with concrete evidence -one that is in conformity with industrial maturity of their country and eventually resort to age old cliche "oh it's very secretive we don't publish " etc.
So my suggestion to you would be to avoid wasting time and instead focus on something productive like reading research papers,hobby electronics to name a few.

Indian nationalists are the most frustrating beings on earth I swear.
No-ones comparing with Pakistan but you have to involve it somehow.
Ask to OP who does this day & night.
The fact that more Indians live in extreme poverty than Pakistanis as a percentage is not new or astounding so calm down. India is the second most unequal country in wealth distribution so it has more extreme poverty (less than 1.5$ a day).
Hiding your poverty is more shameful than admitting it and actually trying to fix it.
The fact that lesser percentage of Indians live in slums, lesser percentage is hungry and lesser percentage is illiterate isn't new either (before 90s when India overtook).

Fact is that Pakistan has higher hungry population, unable to document it's population properly, leave alone obtaining correct statistics of poverty. Pakistanis calling India poor means Coal (and not pot) is calling kettle black.

Well my friend, I was talking about Living Standards not economic power. I know that nominal GDP is the representator of economic power.

If it's about standard of living, than PPP per capita can show the standard of living. PPP itself does not show the standard of living.

World Bank poverty data

Below $1.90 PPP: Pakistan 7.9% India 21.2%

Below $3.10 PPP: Pakistan 43.6% India 58%

http://povertydata.worldbank.org/poverty/region/SAS

But what he is saying is that India's overall PPP is higher, it has higher standard of living. PPP itself should be replaced with PPP per capital as aggregate PPP of a country is a misleading figure that do not show the standard of living. It's PPP per capital that has meaning.

Indians and Pakistanis who has less poverrty and how they should spend the money on weapons.

Living in England I find this hillarious

Pathetic the world sees now difference between the two other than India is a biggar nation in almost every aspect and less controlled by military generals

If it's about standard of living, than PPP per capita can show the standard of living. PPP itself does not show the standard of living.

But what he is saying is that India's overall PPP is higher, it has higher standard of living. PPP itself should be replaced with PPP per capital as aggregate PPP of a country is a misleading figure that do not show the standard of living. It's PPP per capital that has meaning.

Average Pakistani adult is 20% richer than an average Indian adult, according to Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2016.

Median wealth per adult in Pakistan is 120% more than that of an Indian adult

Pakistan has lower levels of inequality than India. Average Pakistani enjoys a higher living standard than an average Indian.

http://www.riazhaq.com/2016/11/cs-wealth-report-2016-average-pakistani.html

3% poverty in Pakistan vs 33% poverty in India.
8 Billions vs 58 Billions of defense budget.

Who's denying its countrymen more?

India ranks better from HDI to literacy, quality of life index, education index, average years of schooling, internet penetration, Hunger Index etc. which says everything.

Dress the figures up any way you want the simple fact is India is a major world economy, Pakistan is not
India has 390 billion in forex Pakistan has 20 billion, India GDP is eight times the size of Pakistan, Indian per capital income is now larger than pakistans

Dude Mumbai Alone has bigger GDP than Pakistan, As of October 2015, Mumbai's GDP is $278 billion ..... Pakistan don't have a city like Mumbai... Even Islamabad or Karachi or Lahore can't compete with just Mumbai.....

You can't win when you are a fraction of Indian might.......

#Pakistan conducts successful test of 700 kilometer range Babur cruise #missile to hit targets on land and sea

http://www.dawn.com/news/1302318/pakistan-conducts-successful-test-of-babur-cruise-missile

Pakistan on Wednesday conducted a successful test of an enhanced version of the indigenously developed Babur cruise missile., said a statement released from the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).

The cruise missile incorporates advanced aerodynamics and avionics and can strike targets on both land and sea at a range of 700 kilometres, added the ISPR statement.

“It is a low flying, terrain hugging missile, which carries certain stealth features and is capable of carrying various types of warheads,” the military’s media wing said.

The Babur cruise missile is equipped with state of the art navigational technologies of Terrain Contour Matching (TERCOM) and Digital Scene Matching and Area Co-relation (DSMAC), which enables it to hit targets with pinpoint accuracy even in the absence of GPS navigation.

“Babur Weapon System is an important force multiplier for Pakistan’s strategic defence.”

The launch was witnessed by Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Zubair Mahmood Hayat, senior officers from the Strategic Plans Division, Strategic Forces, scientists and engineers of strategic organisations.

“This test further strengthens Pakistan’s deterrence capability,” said General Hayat.

Earlier this year, Pakistan conducted a successful flight test of the indigenously developed Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM) Ra’ad.

Why is India's Hindu leadership so paranoid about Pakistan and Pakistanis? asks Stephen Cohen of Brookings: “One of the most important puzzles of India-Pakistan relations is not why the smaller Pakistan feels encircled and threatened, but why the larger India does. It would seem that India, seven times more populous than Pakistan and five times its size, and which defeated Pakistan in 1971, would feel more secure. This has not been the case and Pakistan remains deeply embedded in Indian thinking. There are historical, strategic, ideological, and domestic reasons why Pakistan remains the central obsession of much of the Indian strategic community, just as India remains Pakistan’s.”

http://www.riazhaq.com/2016/08/indias-pakistan-phobia.html

Not sure how the below topic is related to the on going discussion ...anyways congrats on conducting the test successfully .

#Pakistan conducts successful test of 700 kilometer range Babur cruise #missile to hit targets on land and sea

http://www.dawn.com/news/1302318/pakistan-conducts-successful-test-of-babur-cruise-missile

Pakistan on Wednesday conducted a successful test of an enhanced version of the indigenously developed Babur cruise missile., said a statement released from the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).

The cruise missile incorporates advanced aerodynamics and avionics and can strike targets on both land and sea at a range of 700 kilometres, added the ISPR statement.

“It is a low flying, terrain hugging missile, which carries certain stealth features and is capable of carrying various types of warheads,” the military’s media wing said.

The Babur cruise missile is equipped with state of the art navigational technologies of Terrain Contour Matching (TERCOM) and Digital Scene Matching and Area Co-relation (DSMAC), which enables it to hit targets with pinpoint accuracy even in the absence of GPS navigation.

“Babur Weapon System is an important force multiplier for Pakistan’s strategic defence.”

The launch was witnessed by Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Zubair Mahmood Hayat, senior officers from the Strategic Plans Division, Strategic Forces, scientists and engineers of strategic organisations.

“This test further strengthens Pakistan’s deterrence capability,” said General Hayat.

Earlier this year, Pakistan conducted a successful flight test of the indigenously developed Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM) Ra’ad.

Why is India's Hindu leadership so paranoid about Pakistan and Pakistanis? asks Stephen Cohen of Brookings: “One of the most important puzzles of India-Pakistan relations is not why the smaller Pakistan feels encircled and threatened, but why the larger India does. It would seem that India, seven times more populous than Pakistan and five times its size, and which defeated Pakistan in 1971, would feel more secure. This has not been the case and Pakistan remains deeply embedded in Indian thinking. There are historical, strategic, ideological, and domestic reasons why Pakistan remains the central obsession of much of the Indian strategic community, just as India remains Pakistan’s.”

http://www.riazhaq.com/2016/08/indias-pakistan-phobia.html

Back
Top Bottom