What's new

ISRO contemplating mission to Venus

You are right in what you say but then one should remember the sole reason for ISRO's existence is not human spaceflight. They are working on many different missions at any one time.
other way we can answer the detractors is by asking a simple question ...what has Mars mission done to Indian space science ?

has it cause damage to Indian space science or benefited it ?

why it has to be Zero sum game always ?

what is the proof that Mission to venus is going to eat up into budget of GSLV MK III and CE 25 ...

they are underway anyway ....

Some people like @he-man are hell bent to oppose for sake of opposing .

I understand but but for all these we need a vehicle with bigger payload capacity.ISRO launches the 1-4k serial bus config satellites weighing >4000 kg via ariane rockets.

So in a way we are not even self sufficient in satellites and thinking on venus??
Bad choice especially when budget is that low.
I don't think budget is the issue here, no matter how much money you pump in, there are usually progression steps and ISRO is doing just fine. Just look at HAL and DRDO even after more than ample funding they are suffering, and main reason is lack of guidance and trying to rush each and every project and failing miserably. ISRO so far had shown a clear and logical steps in their development program and they should stick to it rather than changing and ridding to other objectives.

another question we can ask ...what has Mars mission done to Indian space science ?

Well I think that mission can be filed as more of India showing casing its capacities to the world. The satellite itself will only add modestly to what has already been done. BUT this mission- the first and only nation able to reach Mars on its first attempt- has truly made the world think differently about ISRO and India's potential.

I don't think budget is the issue here, no matter how much money you pump in, there are usually progression steps and ISRO is doing just fine. Just look at HAL and DRDO even after more than ample funding they are suffering, and main reason is lack of guidance and trying to rush each and every project and failing miserably. ISRO so far had shown a clear and logical steps in their development program and they should stick to it rather than changing and riding to other objectives.

I don't think budget is the issue here, no matter how much money you pump in, there are usually progression steps and ISRO is doing just fine. Just look at HAL and DRDO even after more than ample funding they are suffering, and main reason is lack of guidance and trying to rush each and every project and failing miserably. ISRO so far had shown a clear and logical steps in their development program and they should stick to it rather than changing and ridding to other objectives.

Flawed argument,,if u have less u have to prioritize.
And drdo/hal are not getting ample funds compared to what foreign companies invest.Not to forget they don't attract best brains due to low salary.

Point is we need gslv mk2/3 asap,,,venus can happen anytime.

Well I think that mission can be filed as more of India showing casing its capacities to the world. The satellite itself will only add modestly to what has already been done. BUT this mission- the first and only nation able to reach Mars on its first attempt- has truly made the world think differently about ISRO and India's potential.

Thats why we do not need to make a statement with venus now,,not till we get a bigger rocket.
Then send a probe to venus,,we will be able to send a bigger payload too,,not like 20 kg something sent on mangalyaan.

In terms of young minds that it ignited ..and attracted to science and engineering ...

those effects will probably can not be counted and compared to any other achievements ....

The moral booster effect this mission had on Indian scientific fraternity ..even that can't be measured ...and evaluated ...

If ISRO has thought about Venus mission ,they must have done it after taking all considerations into account .

after all ISRO has hardly been spendthrift in its management of money allocated to it ....

Mars mission was also instrumental in reminding ourselves that it is possible .

It was one of the biggest scientific advertisement of Indian capability ...

It will therefore have many cascading effects in domestic and international spheres for long time ...

Flawed argument,,if u have less u have to prioritize.
And drdo/hal are not getting ample funds compared to what foreign companies invest.Not to forget they don't attract best brains due to low salary.

Point is we need gslv mk2/3 asap,,,venus can happen anytime.
Mate, DRDO and HAL have no shortage of funds, They have said this in their earlier reports. The problem with them is that they over estimate their own capabilities. As for ISRO, there is no shortage of funding for the programs, there are usually developmental cycles which take time, and this can't be rushed by simply pumping money. And as for salaries, it isn't much compared to what western countries give but, in the end its the decision of the government.

In terms of young minds that it ignited ..and attracted to science and engineering ...

those effects will probably can not be counted and compared to any other achievements ....

The moral booster effect this mission had on Indian scientific fraternity ..even that can't be measured ...and evaluated ...

If ISRO has thought about Venus mission ,they must have done it after taking all considerations into account .

after all ISRO has hardly been spendthrift in its management of money allocated to it ....

Mars mission was also instrumental in reminding ourselves that it is possible .

It was one of the biggest scientific advertisement of Indian capability ...

It will therefore have many cascading effects in domestic and international spheres for long time ...
Agreed! The effects of the MOM are long-lasting and the measly $70m project cost will be paid back many times over to India.

Mate, DRDO and HAL have no shortage of funds, They have said this in their earlier reports. The problem with them is that they over estimate their own capabilities. As for ISRO, there is no shortage of funding for the programs, there are usually developmental cycles which take time, and this can't be rushed by simply pumping money. And as for salaries, it isn't much compared to what western countries give but, in the end its the decision of the government.

Yes i agree they cannot achieve much with increase funding if talent remains same
But increased funding can mean doubling the salaries etc which would automatically attract a much better talent leading to increase in output.

Well,leave that aside.

Here we need a medium lift rocket urgently.

No matter what few nay-sayers will say .

I have full faith in ISRO .

so far ISRO has just contemplated venus mission .

It has been cautious and has not rush into any decision .

and if ISRO decides to undertake this mission in parallel to other programmes . so be it .

We do not have to advise ISRO what it has supposed to do with Indian Space Programme .

I do not dare to tell pilot of airliner I am travelling with as to how to navigate the craft !

I leave it to his better judgement ...eventhough I may have read few articles on internet on aircraft navigation and what not ....

Last edited:
Bro, @he-man has his perspective and he wants the same things you/we want- a prosperous and world-leading India. And I appreciate his perspective and I agree that for the long term success of ISRO developing higher payload rockets is a MUST and should be a priority.Resources are finite and a debate on such allocations is healthy.

other way we can answer the detractors is by asking a simple question ...what has Mars mission done to Indian space science ?

why it has to be Zero sum game always ?

what is the proof that Mission to venus is going to eat up into budget of GSLV MK III and CE 25 ...

they are underway anyway ....

Besides, they do one sat launch every 3 months and one interplanetary type mission every 4/5 years. I don't think they need to be apologetic about that. Space is something that should also capture the imagination.

Agreed! The effects of the MOM are long-lasting and the measly $70m project cost will be paid back many times over to India.

No doubt,,we tested the deep space communication with this along with 1000 other things.
Not to mention it will attract good talent too.

No doubt,,we tested the deep space communication with this along with 1000 other things.
Not to mention it will attract good talent too.
Add to that the good publicity it brought. ISRO well and truly put itself on the map as a world-leading space agency and India as a space power. This could lead to more foreign satellites being lanced by ISRO.

Now the next big step ISRO needs to take is adding the GSLV to their stable- this will attract yet more interest in ISRO.

we're going to launch this mission in 2015??I saw this report in 2012,but didn't believe the time frame..next one apart from chandrayan and mangalyan willbe on sun,possibly name of the mission is aditya.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom