What's new

Leaked info about J20, AC and 055 destroyer of PLA!

still my guess would be some version that anti drone laser that they have made
he did not specify any details``as that would cross then line to break security protocol :D

The J-20 "soft kill" laser system will most likely be something like this:

af1-ircm-040609.jpg

CIRCM 6 Nov 2013.jpg

hmx1-ircm-01.jpg

These system tend to inhabit civilian airliners and VIP aircraft such as AF1, but they are also making an appearance on military aircraft, transports being the most common, but they are appearing on combat systems too.

AN/AAQ-24(V) DIRCM (Directional Infrared Countermeasure)

hero_AN-10064.jpg

Making missiles toast for 50 years
Northrop Grumman is proud to have been at the forefront of warfighter protection since 1961. That's when our engineers developed the first active onboard IRCM system capable of defeating an air-to-air, heat-seeking missile. Today, our DIRCM laser-based systems protect over 750 aircraft, including large and small fixed-wing, rotary-wing, and tilt-wing platforms.

The AN/AAQ-24(V) Directional Infrared Countermeasure (DIRCM) system is the only DIRCM system in production today that will protect aircraft from today's infrared guided missiles.

Traditional IR countermeasures are not effective against the modern IR missiles that are growing in popularity among terrorist groups and in thirdworld countries. A Directional Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM) system is required to defeat the latest and future advanced IR threats, and has a lower life cycle cost compared to other IR countermeasure approaches.

• Simultaneously tracks and defeats threats in clutter environments
  • Fast, accurate threat detection and simultaneous jamming in all current IR threat Bands (I, II and IV)
  • Counters all fielded IR missile threats using a single generic jam waveform
  • Complete end-to-end self-testing features reduce life-cycle maintenance
  • Compatible with existing support facilities
Customized installation
The AAQ-24(V) is available in a laser-based configuration. Northrop Grumman then selects from a modular family of transmitters, jammers and missile warning systems to provide a customized installation best able to meet your specific platform, mission and budget requirements. Upgrades to existing systems are easy to install without further airframe modifications.

Other Northrop Grumman IRCM Systems
CIRCM: Common Infrared Countermeasure Systems

Designed specifically to protect rotary wing and medium fixed wing aircraft from IR missiles, our CIRCM offering uses a compact ECLIPSE pointer/tracker, a lightweight COTS processor and advanced Quantum Cascade Laser (QCL) technology for greater reliability and scalability. Learn more about Northrop Grumman CIRCM.

Guardian : Pod-based IRCM

The Guardian™ system provides 360° protection against a wide range of missile threats. The Guardian™ system includes a multiband laser pointer/ tracker and an ultraviolet missile warning sensor. The system is contained almost entirely in a single pod that mounts to the underside of the fuselage. Learn more about Guardian.

Common Infrared Countermeasures program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Military fighters generate nowhere near the necessary power, at least not without complicated and heavy machinery, to field an effective anti-drone laser. These types of "laser systems" are most commonly IR countermeasures not offensive weapons... even though that has been talked about too.

Considering the OP itself states, "J-20 deployment version will have soft laser weapon, not to shoot down a plane or kill a ground target, but to 'kill' infrared guided missiles" this is a safe guess.

Last edited:
2014 was a disappointment with the exception of the HJ-12, Updated FC-31 prototype, Zhuhai show. Type 055 was moved backed, no Z-20 pics, no AC 001A. I'm excited that this year will be more reveals, 2015-2016 will be the years China makes breakthroughs in Turbofan technology.

for the navy maybe, but we had 4 J-20s, and latest version of WS-10 (14.3 ton thrust) one the air for final test```its a not bad year for the PLAAF```

anyway, what PLA really left out was the army as always

no rail gun or any sort of plasma gun```but do have a laser device (he did not specify)
i guess he was talking about the ships here which i guessed would be anti drone. And thank you for your posts they always teach me something new.
The "soft kill" laser system will most likely be something like this:

J-20 No.2015 is very close to final condition,
J-20 doesnt use Russian 99M2 as most foreign 'experts' and Russia media claimed
it uses improved third gen turbofan, domestic
phase A wont have WS-15 but domestic improved third gen turbofan, Max 14.3 metric tons thrusts
phase B will be fit with WS-15

J-20 deployment version will have soft laser weapon, not to shoot down a plane or kill a ground target, but to 'kill' infrared guided missiles

No ... it uses currently a "specialized" version of the proven AL-31FN - IMO a series III as in the latest J-10B - but surely not a domestic engine, which would only be a WS-10B. This engine has significantly different external (number of pedals, size of them ...) and even more internal (see into the AB) structure ... even more the sound of both engines is completely different or it is the same as on the J-10 !

Deino

No ... it uses currently a "specialized" version of the proven AL-31FN - IMO a series III as in the latest J-10B - but surely not a domestic engine, which would only be a WS-10B. This engine has significantly different external (number of pedals, size of them ...) and even more internal (see into the AB) structure ... even more the sound of both engines is completely different or it is the same as on the J-10 !

Deino
I seriously doubt your claim. What do you mean by proven when all latest J-11B enter service are equipped with WS-10 engine? China has also stop buying anymore engine from Russia, so may I know where they are getting those engine since the old Su-27SK and J-11A also needs Russian engine to replace expended one. Its hard to believe J-11B are using domestic engine while J-20 not using? WS-10A engine is proven to have more thrust than AL-31.

I have never heard of AL-31 series III. Only AL-41 or 117S engine. There is no such things called AL-31 III. If there is what is the different between AL-31 III and 117S with thrust so similar?

Deino
sir you are totally wrong there is nothing in AL-31 family of engine like you called series III and as for your information J-20 have improved WS-10 called WS-10G, J-20 don't have your AL-31 or nor 117S

I seriously doubt your claim. What do you mean by proven when all latest J-11B enter service are equipped with WS-10 engine? China has also stop buying anymore engine from Russia, so may I know where they are getting those engine since the old Su-27SK and J-11A also needs Russian engine to replace expended one. Its hard to believe J-11B are using domestic engine while J-20 not using? WS-10A engine is proven to have more thrust than AL-31.

I hope I don't be arrogant to be persistent, but IMO You are wrong. Both fighters are in no relation to each other for several reasons:

- all current fighters from CAC - J-10 and JF-17 - use engines with the engine's gear-box mounted on the bottom of the engine. That's the reason to differ the AL-31F (in the J-11) and the AL-31FN (in the J-10). The same is for the JF-17 (and J-31 as well), that uses the RD-93 which is a gear-bog on the bottom version of the RD-33 as used in the MiG-29.
In contrast to these types, the Flanker-series still uses engines with the gear-box on top namely the AL-31F or the WS-10A ... to make the WS-10 compatible to fit the J-10 it needed its gear-box on the bottom, which resulted in the WS-10B (see:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9UsWX4031qs/UA3IHyYpbLI/AAAAAAAAANw/WYzvusK2TII/s1600/WS-10B.jpg and Chinese Military Aviation: Fighters II). Therefore it does not make any sense to assume that the J-20 would use an engine with the gear-box on top, simply excluding all the AL-31F as well as the WS-10A ... only the WS-10B could fit, but by all information I have so far it is not ready yet.
- China DID not stop to import Russian engines, since there was especially a huge order of additional AL-31FN Series III (see below) especially for the current J-10B to replace the older AL-31FN.
- the WS-10A/B is a product of Shenyang Engine Corp. with the aim of delivery priority for SAC types ... whereas CAC has a good connection to Salut since years.
- as mentioned already, both engines - the AL-31F and FN and the WS-10A and B - are really different. The number of pedals on the afterburner is different, the inner structure of the flame-holder is different as well as the sound ... but even if painted or treated in that strange silverfish colour the J-20's engine is more akin to the J-10A's engine and not the Flanker's one ... as such I'm sure (100% to say so) that it uses an AL-31FN version.

I have never heard of AL-31 series III. Only AL-41 or 117S engine. There is no such things called AL-31 III. If there is what is the different between AL-31 III and 117S with thrust so similar?

No ... there is indeed a version called Series III, that has a slightly higher thrust (nit much) and a higher reliability (operation time to first maintenance after 750 hours)

FEDERAL STATE UNITARY ENTERPRISE «GAS-TURBINE ENGINEERING RESEARCH AND PRODUCTION CENTER «SALUT» | NEWS | NEWS | The FSUE “GTE-RPC “Salut”-produced AL-31FN series-3 engine receives code letter “O1”

sir you are totally wrong there is nothing in AL-31 family of engine like you called series III and as for your information J-20 have improved WS-10 called WS-10G, J-20 don't have your AL-31 or nor 117S

To admit ... even if I agree that there might be a WS-10G under development ... so far there is NONE ! I know these rumours since the J-20's maiden flight but after all these years I've been watching the scene I'm sure there is only the WS-10A for the Flankers operationally (gear box on top) and the WS-10B under test for the J-10B (gear box on the bottom) but no WS-10G.

Otherwise if You have other information ... I would be very interested to learn more about.

Cheers,
Deino

for the navy maybe, but we had 4 J-20s, and latest version of WS-10 (14.3 ton thrust) one the air for final test```its a not bad year for the PLAAF```

anyway, what PLA really left out was the army as always

Mostly agreed, this the year for the PLAN and PLAAF.

I hope I don't be arrogant to be persistent, but IMO You are wrong. Both fighters are in no relation to each other for several reasons:

- all current fighters from CAC - J-10 and JF-17 - use engines with the engine's gear-box mounted on the bottom of the engine. That's the reason to differ the AL-31F (in the J-11) and the AL-31FN (in the J-10). The same is for the JF-17 (and J-31 as well), that uses the RD-93 which is a gear-bog on the bottom version of the RD-33 as used in the MiG-29.
In contrast to these types, the Flanker-series still uses engines with the gear-box on top namely the AL-31F or the WS-10A ... to make the WS-10 compatible to fit the J-10 it needed its gear-box on the bottom, which resulted in the WS-10B (see:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9UsWX4031qs/UA3IHyYpbLI/AAAAAAAAANw/WYzvusK2TII/s1600/WS-10B.jpg and Chinese Military Aviation: Fighters II). Therefore it does not make any sense to assume that the J-20 would use an engine with the gear-box on top, simply excluding all the AL-31F as well as the WS-10A ... only the WS-10B could fit, but by all information I have so far it is not ready yet.
- China DID not stop to import Russian engines, since there was especially a huge order of additional AL-31FN Series III (see below) especially for the current J-10B to replace the older AL-31FN.
- the WS-10A/B is a product of Shenyang Engine Corp. with the aim of delivery priority for SAC types ... whereas CAC has a good connection to Salut since years.
- as mentioned already, both engines - the AL-31F and FN and the WS-10A and B - are really different. The number of pedals on the afterburner is different, the inner structure of the flame-holder is different as well as the sound ... but even if painted or treated in that strange silverfish colour the J-20's engine is more akin to the J-10A's engine and not the Flanker's one ... as such I'm sure (100% to say so) that it uses an AL-31FN version.

No ... there is indeed a version called Series III, that has a slightly higher thrust (nit much) and a higher reliability (operation time to first maintenance after 750 hours)

FEDERAL STATE UNITARY ENTERPRISE «GAS-TURBINE ENGINEERING RESEARCH AND PRODUCTION CENTER «SALUT» | NEWS | NEWS | The FSUE “GTE-RPC “Salut”-produced AL-31FN series-3 engine receives code letter “O1”

To admit ... even if I agree that there might be a WS-10G under development ... so far there is NONE ! I know these rumours since the J-20's maiden flight but after all these years I've been watching the scene I'm sure there is only the WS-10A for the Flankers operationally (gear box on top) and the WS-10B under test for the J-10B (gear box on the bottom) but no WS-10G.

Otherwise if You have other information ... I would be very interested to learn more about.

Cheers,
Deino

Very informative. Thanks! :cheers:

Deino is a well known Chinese aviation expert and he's written a book on the PLAAF. Much respect to the man. :tup:

Deino
well, he laughed at the claims of current J-20s using Russian engine``thats all
the imported russian engines are for current j10A/B, J-11A, not for j20s

well, he laughed at the claims of current J-20s using Russian engine``thats all
the imported russian engines are for current j10A/B, J-11A, not for j20s

Sorry, but maybe I misunderstand Your post: Where did I laugh "at the claims of current J-20s using Russian engine" ??? I know when I wrote the first report on the J-20 for the Combat Aircraft right after its maiden flight in 2011 I added a sentence that also a WS-10G is said to power that type ... in the meantime I never questioned it to be powered by the AL-31FN.

Or did I misunderstand Your post ???

Deino

Sorry, but maybe I misunderstand Your post: Where did I laugh "at the claims of current J-20s using Russian engine" ??? I know when I wrote the first report on the J-20 for the Combat Aircraft right after its maiden flight in 2011 I added a sentence that also a WS-10G is said to power that type ... in the meantime I never questioned it to be powered by the AL-31FN.

Or did I misunderstand Your post ???

Deino

The Russian engine for J-20 now is out of question.

The only candidate right now is WS-10X or WS-15.

Some leaked information shows that the engine used by J-20 is in fact WS-15.

The Russian engine for J-20 now is out of question.

The only candidate right now is WS-10X or WS-15.

Some leaked information shows that the engine used by J-20 is in fact WS-15.
WS-15 already tested? Are you positive about the sources?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom