What's new

Pak-Army Promotions 2011

My second class fellow promoted to Brig General .He was selected in PAF as GD Pilot , unfortunately grounded but got SOH in Kakul .

Getting promoted to the rank of a Colonel means that you are a Red Taper now. And it's guud to be a Red Taper. :)
Not really, Col gets a normal house as that of a Major & Lt Col, while Brig gets a bigger house and a General(Well don't get me started :smokin:). Not to mention staff cars for other red tapers, but not for a Col in most cases.

In the Pak Army, there are many cases where officers are not promoted to higher ranks due to favoritism and politics. The senior command may find it very easy to sign a decision over their files but it severely affects the lifestyles and future of a family and its generations to come. This is no new topic, there have been countless such incidents where Merit was overtaken by personal relation and liking for a senior promotion. Why doesn't the senior command have a transparent criteria set for a promotion from Brigadier to Maj-Gen level? What special analytical skills are required to decide the fate of a handful of selected people? If a person has met all the criteria, but was unfortunate enough for not being able to play golf with a corp commander, or his children were not best friends with the commander's children. Only recently I jut came across such a case, where the officer was a fellow deserving a 2 star promotion but was superseded by his junior who was famous in the corp for manipulation and politics. Why wasn't merit truly considered here?

ISLAMABAD - The three-day Army Promotion Board meeting that ended here on Friday with Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani in the chair approved the names of 150 Lt Colonels for promotion to the slot of colonels and 50 others as brigadiers.
“The board meeting considered the names of around one thousand Lt Colonels for promotion, of which 200 were promoted, including 150 as colonels and 50 as brigadiers,” a security official said.

Good news is my class fellow promoted to Brigadier :smokin:

My second class fellow promoted to Brig General .He was selected in PAF as GD Pilot , unfortunately grounded but got SOH in Kakul .
If a person retires from army as a col.for how long ghet can serve?

I mean they can serve?even if retired can they extend it even if they are rejected by booard as a birgadier??

I mean they can serve?even if retired can they extend it even if they are rejected by booard as a brigadier
?

Problem is that ‘Merit’ is not an absolute term but subjective. For example a junior officer who obeys his Commanding Officer is competing with another who is more intelligent but occasionally insubordinate; may be considered more ‘meritorious’. However what really matters is who is more competent as a leader of men in actual fighting which sadly can only be judged during wartime.

Additionally, personal friendship seriously limits one’s ability to objectively analyse and judge merit. Critical phase in Pak Army promotions is rise to the Brigadier rank. All members of the ‘Board’ that considers Lt Colonels for promotion to Brigadier level, would not personally know all the candidates very well. Hence a few, such as Golf buddies or Bridge buddies, out of the hopeful candidates stand better chance of promotion.

Finally, what is the criterion for promotion? Assuming a successful run as Battalion Commander, nearly all the candidates would be competent leaders of men. Many Army Chiefs would consider reliability & dependability to follow High Commands orders without question as the main criterion. Others many consider initiative and ability to change or even countermand the order if the situation so demands, as the crucial quality for senior echelons. For example, two outstanding famous WW2 commanders ; Heinz Guderian of Germany & General George Patton of the US Army never made it to the 5 star (Field Marshal) rank; primarily because of their refusal to suffer fools gladly.

My point is that promotions to the senior ranks is and would always remain subjective to a certain extent.

Is there any concept of double promotion. Or one have to go one step up each time?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom