What's new

Pakistan Navy has 2 new Swiftship corvettes on order

Military planners sometimes get ignored, because of peoples ego, kickbacks, or financial constraints.
We would like to see a lot of things, but........
Planners sometime get ignored sometimes bro.

Fanboys get ignored MOST of the times and i believe we are both thankful for that :P

The LACM (Babur version) was exploring an opportunity and option, it clicked and will give as an OPTION. Dedicated LACM frigates and destroyers are no where on the agenda for now with non-existent AAW capability of our surface fleet and not enough land based fighter options to provide the much needed cover.

Next step is quite likely a multi-role frigate with better AAW capability and then gradually build on that until we have enough SAM carrying VLS to spare a few for LACM as routine/regular config.

Kabhi ghalti say, dimagh bhi istimal karlayna.
Some people NEVER make a mistake! :D So yeh galti bhe ni krain gy bahi, INSHALLAH.

For OPVs specifically it would have made more sense to add more of the Damen ships from the Netherlands. But as this is coming from the U.S., I suspect subsidies or aid is in motion.

The PN is building a three-tier system:
  1. PMSA MPVs
  2. PN OPVs (i.e. Damen OPV and Swiftships OPV)
  3. ASW-capable frigate and corvette fleet (i.e. F-22P, MILGEM Ada, new Chinese frigate)
All that VLS, LACM, etc stuff is in area (3). The areas (1) and (2), while growing in number, cost a fraction of what it'll take to build (3), but they're necessary to take on maritime policing. You wouldn't want to send in a MILGEM Ada with its composite super structure into a scenario where it can get hit by random RPGs and ATGMs... That's where these MPVs and OPVs come in, especially the OPVs as they can be heavily armed too.

For second tier what the logic of two type OPV. You Can have one type OPV which would cost effective for maintenance.

For second tier what the logic of two type OPV. You Can have one type OPV which would cost effective for maintenance.
The only logic in two types is that the second type just came at a good price, but only after buying the first type.

That said, the maintenance and logistics issues might not be bad. The PN can opt to have the Damen OPVs and Swiftship OPVs equipped with the same engines, sensors, electronics and weapons.

My problem with such procurement is that is not a very complex ship ... pakistan should be able to design and build such small vessels as per navy's request ....best thing about PAF is that by doing project like jf17 which is not on par with European fighter jets but ..it's locally made and it pushes us towards more ambitious projects like azm ...but when it comes to Navy we are not even trying to build basic vessels domestically ...and also we need more shipyards .

As for vls and babur ,etc and fanboy stuff .
Pakistan is not capable of fighting indian navy close to there coast ...we don't have that much funds ...our policy should be simple .... build a very strong coastal defence which includes air defence ....we should be able to strike ships as far as 1000km from our own coast ...it's cheaper to be defensive than offensive ...and as far as offensive capacity we need fast and stealthy attack crafts that can attack there coastal cities and Military infrastructure which are near pakistan ... besides that pakistan also need nuclear subs or even conventional subs with vls that can launch nuclear cruise missiles for nuclear deterrence ....our current version of sub based Babar is 450km which is not realistic second strike ....we need better sub based cruise missiles ...if we want our nuclear deterrence to stay

Again, if that is the option then you need to buy more than a few so that a good number can carry 32 SAMs and perform AAW duties while a couple carry 12 LACM for offensive role. Still, AAW remains the priority.
Even Let say a ship has 48 VLS if only 12 of the are for Cruise Missiles I still would take it that is the capability we need Sir the impact of 12 VLS carrying Cruise Missiles will be far more on Indians

My problem with such procurement is that is not a very complex ship ... pakistan should be able to design and build such small vessels as per navy's request ....best thing about PAF is that by doing project like jf17 which is not on par with European fighter jets but ..it's locally made and it pushes us towards more ambitious projects like azm ...but when it comes to Navy we are not even trying to build basic vessels domestically ...and also we need more shipyards .

As for vls and babur ,etc and fanboy stuff .
Pakistan is not capable of fighting indian navy close to there coast ...we don't have that much funds ...our policy should be simple .... build a very strong coastal defence which includes air defence ....we should be able to strike ships as far as 1000km from our own coast ...it's cheaper to be defensive than offensive ...and as far as offensive capacity we need fast and stealthy attack crafts that can attack there coastal cities and Military infrastructure which are near pakistan ... besides that pakistan also need nuclear subs or even conventional subs with vls that can launch nuclear cruise missiles for nuclear deterrence ....our current version of sub based Babar is 450km which is not realistic second strike ....we need better sub based cruise missiles ...if we want our nuclear deterrence to stay
Yes that is why we need a Navy with at least 24 Frigates and that carries VLS that is not fanboy stuff you can't fight a Navy of 80 Frigates and Destroyers and Corvettes without having this capability

Great step forward (people may hate me), This OPV (covert) is 75 meters (light to medium) and the one from Damen is 90 meters (medium) category OPVs....... And having 2 different types OPVs (OPV is a category of its own ) are not that bad and logistic nightmare , Both will help PN in many ways.....,
Now on bigger and better ships , I always say buying one heavy fully loaded Ship is much better then buying 3 small ones.......... We need Bigger and better ships with Air Defence and Land Attack abilities , In short a multi purpose 5000+T frigates and destroyers,,,,,,,,,,,,, But those ships are dammmmmm expensive too.
Currently I like the approach , more FACs,,, Hope Coverts are coming too,,,, OPVs (two types total 4) , Subs and more Frigates from China.......... I am heaving a feeling PN first build above(basic) categories and then go for bigger ships maybe after 2025.............................. We cant use 5000t ship for OPV purpose !! Can we?
And for few members we cannot match India in numbers , Yes we need heavy Ships but to counter Indian Navy we also need more Subs (different order from those 8 coming) , more Air Surveillance birds and Navy's Own Air wing with 40 to 60 Heavy birds.
For that we need will , strategy and economy........

Guys, invest in your economy first. For Naval support, let China handle it, we will send in the subs and the destroyers and screw these Hindus. Pakistan should invest more on SAMs and Air Force.

For OPVs specifically it would have made more sense to add more of the Damen ships from the Netherlands. But as this is coming from the U.S., I suspect subsidies or aid is in motion.

1. PMSA MPVs
  3. ASW-capable frigate and corvette fleet (i.e. F-22P, MILGEM Ada, new Chinese frigate)
All that VLS, LACM, etc stuff is in area (3). The areas (1) and (2), while growing in number, cost a fraction of what it'll take to build (3), but they're necessary to take on maritime policing. You wouldn't want to send in a MILGEM Ada with its composite super structure into a scenario where it can get hit by random RPGs and ATGMs... That's where these MPVs and OPVs come in, especially the OPVs as they can be heavily armed too.
i think its for the navy simply because: 1 they said its for the navy :2 just look at the specs below
i think this corvette is oriented for brown water missions
below is the actual quote from the factory

It is a highly versatile ship, designed to operate in all environments and meet 21st century challenges of conventional as well as asymmetric warfare. It has anti-air and anti-surface missiles, medium and small caliber accurate guns with high rate of fire and has the capability of carrying a multirole helicopter and/or UAV. High speed launching wells can launch multiple fast RHIB boats for a variety of operations e.g. Force Protection, VBSS & SOF operations, patrol/security of on/off shore facilities. The Combat Management System can be configured for a variety of missions. Operational capability up to Sea State 6. Specifications can be modified in accordance to the operator’s preferences and needs

Capture.PNG

the more interesting matter is how the ships are being funded
also have you noticed the larger than usual launch deck below the helipad?

If it comes at a good price with ram-2 launcher i'd be happy to take that ..

exactly..

this is very disappointing news ... very little hope left for navy

1. PMSA MPVs

I don't think those are merely 'OPVs'.

DAMEN OFFSHORE PATROL VESSEL 1800

ARMAMENT AND SENSORS
Main gun up to 76 mm on fore ship
Secondary guns, 2x 20 mm
Medium range surv. radar
E/O fire control sensor
The vessel is fitted for required armament and sensors, and fitted with the
necessary ammunition stores, data/electrical support systems

http://products.damen.com/-/media/P.../Documents/Offshore_Patrol_Vessel_1800_DS.pdf

75 Meter Swift Corvette

WEAPONS

Main gun: 76mm (OTO)
Secondary guns: 30mm (2)
SSM: Harpoon/Exocet/Marté/Griffin
SAM: RAM II
Decoy launcher
Mk 93 50 cal. (2) mounts w/ MK16 tripods

OPTIONAL FEATURES

Surface Vessel Torpedo Tube (SVTT)
Slim Line Towed Array (SLTA)
Hull Mounted Sonar (HMS)

http://swiftships.com/vessels/75-meter-swift-corvette/

I am not interested in Ship to Missile I am interested in a 1500 KM Range Babur which can fit into VLS in a ship and from that ship when it fired it can any place in India. And I want our Ships to have at least 12 VLS Indians know that they try to attack Karachi through Kolkata and Talwar Class Frigate which they would use in case of war to fire Brahmos on us we would return the favor on Mumbai and GOA and Chennai and Hyderabad

Protection of littoral Waters, ports during peace time and hostilities seems top priority for now, as Turkish and Chinese vessels will bring green water Navy capabilities to PN.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom