What's new

Pakistan Navy’s 2300 Tons OPVs launched by Damen

4th Azmat FAC-M is under construction.

The OPVs dont seem to be capable of carrying missiles so will probably be chosen to do patrol duties more economically whilst freeing our more capable platforms for less wear and tear.

These OPVs also have UAV capability. Lets see if they are local or imported.

Since PN upgraded order to 2300ton the pictures/videos match the OPV2400.

OPV Damen 2400
https://products.damen.com/-/media/.../Documents/Offshore_Patrol_Vessel_2400_DS.pdf
The vessels offer a modular layout to support variable requisite package according to customer requirements.
PN intends to use these vessels as 'Force multiplier' and will be focusing on its anti surface & anti ship capabilities.

And these are corvettes, not OPVs.

The OPVs dont seem to be capable of carrying missiles so will probably be chosen to do patrol duties more economically whilst freeing our more capable platforms for less wear and tear.

These OPVs also have UAV capability. Lets see if they are local or imported.

Since PN upgraded order to 2300ton the pictures/videos match the OPV2400.

OPV Damen 2400
https://products.damen.com/-/media/.../Documents/Offshore_Patrol_Vessel_2400_DS.pdf

Sir Pakistan already has inducted many OPVs/small ships for PMSA so they don't perhaps need to spend limited resources further on such platforms now time to build up regular navy. The coming corvettes from Damen shall have anti ship, anti sub and also some SAM for point defense. In shorter time span everything shall be cleared.

Are these essentially the Sigma class corvettes?

Seems to be a successful design it’s also in service with Indonesia, Morocco, Romania and Mexico.

Are these essentially the Sigma class corvettes?

Seems to be a successful design it’s also in service with Indonesia, Morocco, Romania and Mexico.
Officially, they're a relative of the Damen OPV line, but seeing how the PN is both classifying -- and eventually, arming -- them as corvettes, they'll be pretty close to the Sigma-line.

Heck, it seems with each passing day, the PN actually ordered Sigmas (a surprise because official statements prior said OPV). I guess the main difference between the baseline Sigmas and the PN's corvettes will be the latter's apparent lack of ASW capability.

Officially, they're a relative of the Damen OPV line, but seeing how the PN is both classifying -- and eventually, arming -- them as corvettes, they'll be pretty close to the Sigma-line.

Heck, it seems with each passing day, the PN actually ordered Sigmas (a surprise because official statements prior said OPV). I guess the main difference between the baseline Sigmas and the PN's corvettes will be the latter's apparent lack of ASW capability.

Most countries that ordered the Sigma in either Corvette or frigate versions initially placed orders for 2 like Pakistan and have subsequently placed follow up orders.

Do you think it’s likely Pakistan will do the same?

Most countries that ordered the Sigma in either Corvette or frigate versions initially placed orders for 2 like Pakistan and have subsequently placed follow up orders.

Do you think it’s likely Pakistan will do the same?
I think so.

In fact, it appears the PN was seeking a general purpose corvette back in 2016-2017. The lead candidate at the time was Swiftships (in the US), and according to it, the PN order was 2 plus an option for 2 more.

So, I think the PN will probably order another 2 SIGMA/OPVs from Damen Shipyards. But it'll be interesting to see where the PN gets the next batch built. KSEW is to undergo a massive expansion through a rail-based lift-transfer system (see here for more info).

The other interesting thing the PN is doing is that it seems to have front-loaded the ship/hull production, and is opting to arm the ships separately. Each of these should be coming in at $60-70 m per ship, tops. But the PN will take care of sourcing the electronics and weapons directly.

If you can source a European corvette for around $125 m with its weapons and sensors (albeit of mixed origins), you're doing something right. Through 2-3 decades, the PN can just incrementally order these corvettes (and/or a more advanced derivative) and build a sizable patrol fleet in tandem to its war fighting fleet.

If you are playing Soccer you get a shoe to give you proper performance and works well in grassy conditions

If you are feeling fancy you get the fancy shoes
81E0uiZHnOL._UL1500_.jpg

But getting .......basic shoes ...you can't play high performance sports
factory-price-promotional-price-femininas.jpg

What Pakistan is doing is getting few , of these OPV which are ... just patrol boats and trying to see how it can be customized to perform like a high performance frigate or Destroyer

So, I think the PN will probably order another 2 SIGMA/OPVs from Damen Shipyards. But it'll be interesting to see where the PN gets the next batch built. KSEW is to undergo a massive expansion through a rail-based lift-transfer system (see here for more info).

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) What about this thread

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/pakistan-orders-dutch-opv-1-900-tons-90-m-to-be-built-at-ksew.501319/

I think after these two, KSEW is also going to manufacture another one. I hope its right.

I agree -- my earlier statement was harsh. It was an outcome of our options at that time, but the PN really will go through a massive AAW jump via the Type 054A/P (32 VLS w/HQ-16) and MILGEM (16 VLS w/HQ-16).
In Sha ALLAH .

Need to put air defence systems and harba missile on it
Atleast Harbah should be on it . Azmat class 560 tons has Harbah as well on FAC-3 n hopefully on FAC-4 as well .

Since Ship is launched , it is undergoing Sea Trial
Chances are it is 100% complete but normally Sea Trial all the work is rechecked before delivery

Since it is a base model i.e Unarmed , I doubt their would be too much testing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom