What's new

Peace-loving India, the world's largest arms importer

Status
Not open for further replies.
To an extent, I can understand why India is the largest arms importer in the world (not sounding disparaging). They are surrounded by countries like Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bangladesh; that have created (or are creating) 'trouble' for them inside their country (at least that's what they believe) on some level; along with the fact that India has a large number of insurgencies & insurgent groups operating inside their country, which is where the difference between them & China lies. Even though China faces a few problems in Tibet & (to a lesser extent) Xinjuang, their internal insurgency problems are no way near the level of India's. China has resolved its Hong Kong issue, Taiwan today (the Taiwanese people at least) has gotten past the terrible history of the KMT & wants to forge close ties with China. That is my personal opinion as to why India is the world's largest arms importer: living in a troubled neighborhood, along with the rife situation inside the country as well.

I'd beg to differ. :) Nepal is India's ally, we don't need weapons for them in fact Nepalese security forces Indian given weapons. :) Sri Lanka, Bangladesh - Are not even considered a threat. :) NOTHING in India's inventory is Sri Lanka or Bangladesh centric.
Plus which insurgencies are you talking about mate?
Kashmir? - Even after 60 years nothing has happened.
NE? - Assaam/Bodoland ? - They just agreed for talks and gave up their demand of independence they just want bit autonomy now.
Separatist movements of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plus ALL these insurgencies don't affect the defence expenditure. Defence expenditure only consists of stuff bought for Army/Navy and Air force.
Respective state government pays for the equipments to fight against these. :) Just thought you should know.

Bangladesh has been accused of harboring terrorist groups that act against India. Bangladesh has also been accused of fueling the insurgencies in the seven sister states in North East India. Bangladesh has also been accused of having close ties with Pakistan's ISI. All in all, Bangladesh is also a perceived threat to India on some levels. Nepal brings about the threat of Maoism inside India, especially with the alleged training of Indian Maoists inside Nepal, under the protection of the Nepali Maoists.

Some elements in Bangladesh are a threat for India, but not the whole country. And my point was that you don't need 4.5/5th gen fighter planes, nuke subs, Aircraft carriers(which form bulk of the Indian arms import bill) to take care of any such threat emanating from Bangladesh or Nepal for that matter.

These new acquisitions are primarily to counter Chinese threat.

Classic geostrategy. Make your rivals spend more money on imported weapons, to weaken their indigenous defence industry, and to prevent them from investing that money in economic competitiveness.

Are you trying to say India is doing so because China wants it to or China is making it do that? looool Alright then..........

Seriously don't flatter/over estimate yourself. :P

To an extent, I can understand why India is the largest arms importer in the world (not sounding disparaging). They are surrounded by countries like Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bangladesh; that have created (or are creating) 'trouble' for them inside their country (at least that's what they think is happening) on some level; along with the fact that India has a large number of insurgencies & insurgent groups operating inside their country, which is where the difference between them & China lies. Even though China faces a few problems in Tibet & (to a lesser extent) Xinjuang, their internal insurgency problems are no way near the level of India's. China has resolved its Hong Kong issue, Taiwan today (the Taiwanese people at least) has gotten past the terrible history of the KMT & wants to forge close ties with China. That is my personal opinion as to why India is the world's largest arms importer: living in a troubled neighborhood, along with the rife situation inside the country as well.

Pretty simple, replace aging equipment in the inventory. Like the MIGs. Replace older frigates, replace artillery, etc, etc, etc, etc.. India doesn't have the ability to replace most of these (except Frigates,Destroyers,n other ships) indigenously yet. So it is importing. Its just that simple..

Pakistan spends like 3% of the its GDP on the military, India 2.3-2.5%. So I wouldn't talk..

Well , We have to defend ourselves first bcoz our neighbors are anything but peace loving ! Our weapons are only to deter our neighbors. And why Chinese are worried about our currency reserves ??!!

Some elements in Bangladesh are a threat for India, but not the whole country. And my point was that you don't need 5th gen fighter planes, nuke subs, Aircraft carriers(which form bulk of the Indian arms imports bill) to take of any such threat emanating from Bangladesh or Nepal for that matter.

These new acquisitions are primarily to counter Chinese threat.

It doesn't matter if certain elements inside a country, or the whole country is a threat to another. I would argue that there are some elements in Pakistan that threaten India (& vice versa) as well, but not the whole country. It takes a few 'bad apples' to make things go wrong. Anyways, the latest Mumbai attacks have been linked to an Islamist group based inside Bangladesh. I believe India's import of arms is also related to an 'arms race' with China & Pakistan. But there is another aspect you should think about as well. What if the Indian establishment on some level feels that the latest arms Pakistan (or China, or Bangladesh) gets/has is being shipped to insurgent groups inside India (by whoever, a few 'bad apples')?

I believe India's import of arms is also related to an 'arms race' with China & Pakistan.

mig21.jpg

Mig-27.jpg

9-mm-sub-machine-gun-smg-or-sten-gun.jpg

etc
etc
etc

Why dont you just believe it's to replace all of its outdated equipment??

The budget will keep rising. It has money to spend now.

It doesn't matter if certain elements inside a country, or the whole country is a threat to another. I would argue that there are some elements in Pakistan that threaten India (& vice versa) as well, but not the whole country. It takes a few 'bad apples' to make things go wrong. Anyways, the latest Mumbai attacks have been linked to an Islamist group based inside Bangladesh. I believe India's import of arms is also related to an 'arms race' with China & Pakistan. But there is another aspect you should think about as well. What if the Indian establishment on some level feels that the latest arms Pakistan (or China, or Bangladesh) gets is being shipped to insurgent groups inside India (by whoever, a few 'bad apples')?

I don't think China is interested in back-b*tching and fuelling the insurgencies they even stopped their support to Maoists after India recognised 'One China' policy and gave assurance that they won't let any Anti-China activities take place on Indian soil whether be Dalaim Lama or any other.

It doesn't matter if certain elements inside a country, or the whole country is a threat to another. I would argue that there are some elements in Pakistan that threaten India (& vice versa) as well, but not the whole country. It takes a few 'bad apples' to make things go wrong. Anyways, the latest Mumbai attacks have been linked to an Islamist group based inside Bangladesh. I believe India's import of arms is also related to an 'arms race' with China & Pakistan. But there is another aspect you should think about as well. What if the Indian establishment on some level feels that the latest arms Pakistan (or China, or Bangladesh) gets/has is being shipped to insurgent groups inside India (by whoever, a few 'bad apples')?

I see your point Bilal, but what am trying to say is that the major chunk of weapons imports spending goes towards acquisitions of fighter planes and naval ships. Terrorist groups are being supplied with small weapons, which you counter using small weapons, not with Su-30 or Rafale. So India's massive arms spending(modernization phase) isn't aimed towards insurgent/terrorist groups.

I see your point Bilal, but what am trying to say is that the major chunk of weapons imports spending goes towards acquisitions of fighter planes and naval ships. Terrorist groups are being supplied with small weapons, which you counter using small weapons, not with Su-30 or Rafale. So India's massive arms spending isn't aimed towards insurgent/terrorist groups.

Yeah, I was just throwing an idea there. As of now, India can also control all the shipments that go into China, from the Indian ocean. So the naval ships are important in that sense. Whereas, fighter planes are important because Pakistan has got a lot of fighter planes from the US in the past, & this is more like an 'arms race' with Pakistan. In case of war, the fighter planes & the Naval ships will be important for India.

peace can only be ensured by the use of strength. Look at history - all periods of peace have always had to be enforced first

We can't take our defence lightly. We are colonized for 100yrs. If were strong things would have been different. We got independce just 60 yr ago only.

I remember what my manager in my company used to tell me ... In God I believe ... rest, bring facts and figures ...

I say the same to you ... don't rant ... give source/facts ....
People dont look at finer details, India went on a shopping spree of American T bills emulating China hoping it could gain massive tech transfers however the only thing Americans are willing to sell is arms..boat load of arms and Indians are forced to buy them

Pakistan do not need to import as they get free of cost for certain reasons. :lol:

Bangladesh has been accused of harboring terrorist groups that act against India. Bangladesh has also been accused of fueling the insurgencies in the seven sister states in North East India. Bangladesh has also been accused of having close ties with Pakistan's ISI. All in all, Bangladesh is also a perceived threat to India on some levels. Nepal brings about the threat of Maoism inside India, especially with the alleged training of Indian Maoists inside Nepal, under the protection of the Nepali Maoists.

Bangladesh is not equal to BNP and jamaat. Nepal is notequal to maoists. is Pakistan is equal to taliban and BLA? than how is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom