Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PM Imran 'incredibly crucial' to Afghan peace process: US

By News Desk
Published: August 9, 2019
2031731-morgan-1565335698-277-640x480.png

US State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

Acknowledging the importance of Islamabad in the ongoing Afghan reconciliation process, the United States said Prime Minister Imran Khan will be “incredibly crucial” in helping Washington with a peace deal in the war-torn country.

“But I would say that obviously that Prime Minister Khan is going to be incredibly crucial in helping us with these – with this peace deal and with this peace negotiation that continues,” said US State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus during a briefing.

The prime minister said earlier that he had assured President Trump that Pakistan would do ‘whatever is in its power to facilitate the Afghan peace process’. He had also said that he would meet the Afghan Taliban to convince them for a peace deal.

The State Department spokesperson elaborated on her remark and added that Trump and Secretary Pompeo had also alluded to the importance of Pakistan’s role in helping the US pursue peace in Afghanistan.

The nearly two-decade-long war in Afghanistan has dragged more and more US troops into the conflict and Washington is now looking for a dignified exit.

Replying to another question regarding India’s unilateral and illegal move in occupied Kashmir, the spokesperson deflected a question regarding human rights violations in the occupied valley but conceded that there are reports of “detentions and restrictions of residents in Jammu and in Kashmir”.

“There are reports, as you’ve mentioned, of detentions and restrictions of residents in Jammu and in Kashmir. And again, that’s why we continue to monitor this very, very closely.”

Ortagus, referring to Kashmir as an incredibly important issue, added that the US is heavily engaged in South Asia and routinely talks to Pakistan and India on issues facing the region.

She, however, said that there has been no change in Washington’s Kashmir policy after Article 370 was revoked in the occupied valley.

The Afghan Taliban earlier said they are ready to send their delegation to Pakistan for a meeting with Prime Minister Imran if Islamabad extends a formal invitation.

The statement from the Taliban came just a day after Prime Minister Imran Khan completed a ‘successful’ visit to the US. During his three-day visit, Afghan endgame remained on top of the agenda.

Dont know who is going to be in more pain over this statement .indians or.......Pakistani opposition parties esp Fazl ur Rehman

Oh and I thought both are sharing the same bed.:sarcastic:

Fazloo is still recovering from the "political victimization" that the current punjab govt did by razing all legally built "just qabza only on Govt land" shops under the guise of his son's madrassah in multan and that 230 million tax notice.

Salaam

How so?
hint check the time of downfall of both Ayub Khan and Perviaz Musharraf from the dates of their successful US visits .... what was the expectations of US from them

امَنْتُ بِاللهِ وَمَلئِكَتِه وَكُتُبِه وَرَسُوْلِه وَالْيَوْمِ الْاخِرِ وَالْقَدْرِ خَيْرِه وَشَرِّه مِنَ اللهِ تَعَالى وَالْبَعْثِ بَعْدَالْمَوْت
interpretation of this statement downfall of IK has initiated ..... 3-5 years max
I believe in Allah and I believe that rise and fall is due to Allah...not America and I sincerely welcome this statement.

Dont know who is going to be in more pain over this statement .indians or.......Pakistani opposition parties esp Fazl ur Rehman
both

I believe in Allah and I believe that rise and fall is due to Allah...not America and I sincerely welcome this statement.
come on man its not that I don't believe this .... all I m doing is to points one of factors which contribute to a natural political outcome ....

Here again recognise what Americans are doing I mean they given importance to a PERSONALITY rather to INSTITUTION(S) and tying that personality to a particular OBJECTIVE of American POLICY .... these SHORT TERM GOALS are the main cause of weak Pak-US relation throughout the history

In this non-institutionalise approach of US towards Pakistan they create such a persona and larger than life picture of the Leadership which creates issues in domestic theatre as well

come on man its not that I don't believe this .... all I m doing is to points one of factors which contribute to a natural political outcome ....

Here again recognise what Americans are doing I mean they given importance to a PERSONALITY rather to INSTITUTION(S) and tying that personality to a particular OBJECTIVE of American POLICY .... these SHORT TERM GOALS are the main cause of weak Pak-US relation throughout the history

In this non-institutionalise approach of US towards Pakistan they create such a persona and larger than life picture of the Leadership which creates issues in domestic theatre as well
I get your point but sir if they were so powerful, believe IK won't be the PM in the first place. Their is a strategic shift in the policies of state. We will definitely work with USA for the establishment of peace in Afghanistan which in the common interest of both USA and Pakistan. I pray Allah blesses us with wisdom.

interpretation of this statement downfall of IK has initiated ..... 3-5 years max
Down fall in country because he made a good impression or he is marked for the downfall? I think you mean later

Working with Americans for the last 19 years, they always put emphasis on personal contacts as long as they do not think is a loser. Even within their own businesses and institutions. I hope that you are not portraying a positive as a negative.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom