What's new

‘unacceptable’ Kabul calls Pakistan’s decision to expel undocumented Afghan nationals ‘unacceptable’

You should deport people illegally living in Pakistan.

But you should first able to contain after effects of it, do you think present political turmoil or internal power struggle will able to keep Pakistan unified, safe & peaceful after deportation of lakhs of people living in Pakistan for decades ?

There is weight in your argument but the undocumented ones are being deported.
There is peace in Afghanistan now and I foresee that for decades to come--going to become even harsher version of Iran's version of 'Islam'. The illegal Afghans are in Pakistan for economic opportunities otherwise culturally the Afghans in Pakistan are not much different from the ones in Afghanistan. It is not easy to round up and deport them and I have some sympathy for them who are in Pakistan for economic reasons. But when their country of origin is unwilling or unable to stop the TTP terrorists operating from Afghanistan then this is a stick Pakistan can use.

So you want Pakistan to keep hosting hundreds of thousands of Afghans ho are living illegally in Pakistan?
i personally witnessed at torkham border in 2005 when pak fouj k jawans let the afghanies cross into pakistan after receiving just 200 Rs haram, ab keun jain woh wapis pehly un ko phansi keun na de jay corrupt haramzadon ko ?

Their is weight in your argument but the undocumented ones are being deported.
There is peace in Afghanistan now and I foresee that for decades to come--going to become even harsher version of Iran's version of 'Islam'. The illegal Afghans are in Pakistan for economic opportunities otherwise culturally the Afghans in Pakistan are not much different from the ones in Afghanistan. It is not easy to round up and deport them and I have some sympathy for them who are in Pakistan for economic reasons. But when their country of origin is unwilling or unable to stop the TTP terrorists operating from Afghanistan then this is a stick Pakistan can use.

I think the crux of the issue is that Pakistan deals with issues in extremes and not based on any pragmatism. The common sense plan would be to have a comprehensive plan on complicated issues such as refugees/immirgation/illegal immigration.

But the policy in the beginning was to let everyone in and then now are doing a complete 180. There's also the issue of a lot of people having fake IDs and governments in the past taking bribes and being corrupt to make IDs.

I think the crux of the issue is that Pakistan deals with issues in extremes and not based on any pragmatism. The common sense plan would be to have a comprehensive plan on complicated issues such as refugees/immirgation/illegal immigration.

But the policy in the beginning was to let everyone in and then now are doing a complete 180. There's also the issue of a lot of people having fake IDs and governments in the past taking bribes and being corrupt to make IDs.

True.
The original sin was the involvement in America's proxy war in Afghanistan against the Soviets AND allowing several million Afghan refugees to live freely in just about anywhere in Pakistan.
The new steps are to pressurize the Taliban govt in Afghanistan to try to control the TTP operating from Afghanistan.

PS. Why would the Afghan govt support a faction like the TTP is beyond my understanding!!! The TTP can be crushed to oblivion by the combined effort of Pakistan and Afghan Taliban govt, ensuring peace in the region--real peace--after decades. The peace dividends would be great for both Pakistan and Afghanistan. And yet the Afghan Taliban govt is not so keen to cooperate with Pakistan. True, there is a lot of ideological match but even that's not enough. One Pakistani analyst said that the Afghan Taliban want a TTP controlled region in the tribal area of Pakistan as sort of 'strategic depth' for the Afghan Taliban in case of another major war in Afghanistan. Bizarre!!

There is weight in your argument but the undocumented ones are being deported.

Best of luck

Damn. I really wish the Indian government would take in the non- religious/ liberal Afghans. Those are nice people.

Till now the friction between Pakskatn and Taliban was veiled and under the wraps. Both tried to downplay it and claimed it to be a minor misunderstanding.

If it becomes open, then it is Paksiatn that would loose more. Militarily, Paksiatn is much stronger but that would require deployment of significant amount of resources. And it can be a long drawn affair.

So much for the strategic depth for which US was stabbed in the back.

1696593170817.png

Till now the friction between Pakskatn and Taliban was veiled and under the wraps. Both tried to downplay it and claimed it to be a minor misunderstanding.
If it becomes open, then it is Paksiatn that would loose more. Militarily, Paksiatn is much stronger but that would require deployment of significant amount of resources. And it can be a long drawn affair.
So much for the strategic depth for which US was stabbed in the back.
Pakistan didn't stab US in 'the back'. It was in the front. It was well known that Pakistan was hosting senior Taliban leadership, public denials notwithstanding.

And it was the correct policy for Pakistan: Afghans should be ruled by Afghans! And Americans were unwilling to introduce societal changes beyond token 'liberal' measures. The Twenty years of bombing was enough. Status quo couldn't last long.

The frictions between the current Taliban govt and Pakistan is not that new: During the 1996-2001 Taliban rule in Afghanistan there were even artillery firing between Pakistan and Afghanistan. It is a myth that the Mullah Umar regime was Pakistan's 'puppet'. Far from it. Also, I don't think the current situation is going to get out of hands. I believe long term, even in medium term, the Taliban will realize that it is futile to support a ragtag terrorist group like the TTP against a potential power and partner like Pakistan.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom