What's new

Featured Qatar Diplomat: Both Countries working on JVs defence production, JF-17 aircraft project, defence training!

I doubt. Why would you do that when you are a small nation with no interest in developing fighter jet and have all the money in the world to buy whatever you want. I think this is nothing more then a statement.
Qatar doesn’t have to make it in their own country... expansion of facilities in Pakistan with qatari money, would get them alternative source of income. also Qatar is looking to diversify as much as possible especially after the Saudi blockade put it in tough spot.
My prime curiosity regarding Qatar: where will they find tons of pilots to fly these jets?!? My understanding is flying a jet isn’t like driving a car.....
The same way Saudi has been doing, lease pilots from other air forces

KARACHI: Qatar Consul General Mishal M Al-Ansari on Monday said that Doha has plans to increase employment opportunities for Pakistanis to over 300,000 in the coming years from the current 150,000.

Addressing members of the Korangi Association of Trade and Industry (KATI), he said that the number of companies with 100 per cent ownership of Pakistanis have increased significantly.

He said that LNG agreement between Pakistan and Qatar was a great milestone while both the countries are already working on many joint ventures in defence production, JF-17 aircraft project, defence training, food, agriculture and other industries.

Mr Al-Ansari said that despite terrible conditions due to coronavirus “we are fully prepared for FIFA World Cup 2022 and many mega infrastructure projects have been completed.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is Qatar interested in block 3 ? any info on it ?

Above words are directly coming from Qatar Consul General Mishal M Al-Ansari
BLK-III,JF-17B- Negotiations in progress. Final outcome still awaited from the Qatari side. That being said they are hell bent on seeing the BLK-III not on paper but match performance parameters in real.

BLK-III,JF-17B- Negotiations in progress. Final outcome still awaited from the Qatari side. That being said they are hell bent on seeing the BLK-III not on paper but match performance parameters in real.
When is-this likely to happen? As far as I know there is only one prototype running in China. ThePakistani variant is still being built. So then negotiations will get delayed till block 3 launches in later part of the year. The second point to consider is even if they sign the dotted line,
A. What exactly do they want ie just the fighters or fighters plus assembly.
B. When is delivery likely to be considering PAF's demands as well.
C. Will the Chinese activate their plant to supply the Qatari order or we will continue producing 12 for us-while exporting the rest.
Please as always answer only that which you feel comfortable answering.

Where did you get this from?

What about block 3 B as a LIFT programme? I wonder whether there is some utility there for block 3b.
A
LIFT. Why? That would require a new broader airframe and a new engine and much more , will potentially kill the whole thing.. lessons learnt from F35 program.

I will be keen to keep an eye at 3 names of interests in regards to strong cooperation in various defence fields.... In Future
🇵🇰 🇶🇦 🇹🇷
🇹🇷 is in a different league..their presence in a pakistan china joint program doesnt make sense.

Last edited:
My prime curiosity regarding Qatar: where will they find tons of pilots to fly these jets?!? My understanding is flying a jet isn’t like driving a car.....
If Singapore can find pilots for its 4 F-16 and 3 F-15 squadrons (~100 jets) I think Qatar will also manage with time and training it is getting from US, France and UK.
It is not a insurmountable problem.
What they will have to figure out in the long run for sustainment purposes is to start their own pilot training program that is fully housed in Qatar, like how Oman does for eg.
They will get there in time.
When is-this likely to happen? As far as I know there is only one prototype running in China. ThePakistani variant is still being built. So then negotiations will get delayed till block 3 launches in later part of the year. The second point to consider is even if they sign the dotted line,
A. What exactly do they want ie just the fighters or fighters plus assembly.
B. When is delivery likely to be considering PAF's demands as well.
C. Will the Chinese activate their plant to supply the Qatari order or we will continue producing 12 for us-while exporting the rest.
Please as always answer only that which you feel comfortable answering.
We know now that a second prototype has been flying in China since last August.

Just throwing it out there...but IMHO...Qatar's interested in buying IP for defence tech, and they're looking at Turkey and Pakistan as possible investment targets.

There's a value to owning the IP -- e.g., they can advance their economy, have a say in world affairs, and maybe even source their future defence needs internally.

The idea of Qatar playing bank on the TFX and Project AZM is way out there, sure, but 20 years ago, could anyone have imagined three next-gen fighter programs running in the Muslim world (TFX, AZM, & IFX)? IIRC, 20 years ago, we were all doubting the chances of seeing through the Super-7...

Back
Top Bottom