What's new

Super Hornet Flies With CFT's

According to the editor of Aviation Week, Bill Sweetman, Boeing is not officially released (yet) but a F/A-18F equipped with conformal fuel tanks and other modifications made its first flight from the airport International St Louis on Monday. The company also plans to add a cocoon of weapons central and perform a series of aerodynamic tests and RCS this month in support of the proposal "Advanced Super Hornet."

UltraHornet(5).png

The blog AeroExperience posted some pictures of the model with the CFT. However, they are not functional. Serve only to aerodynamic tests, as said by company representatives earlier . The CFT have some differences from the mock-up shown above, with a deeper profile forward. In response to suggestions from the U.S. Navy, they were made ​​a little larger, increasing the amount of fuel (in both CFT) 3,000 to 3,500 pounds.

The CFTs and weapon PODS are part of a package of improvements that Boeing and General Electric are proposing for the Navy.

HAHAHAHAHA i couldn't stop laughing at this. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am sure once IN going to have CTOBAR on its IAC-2 and IAC-3 then surely F-18s will be ordered.... Lolz....

These are machines that IN loves to fly on Indian Ocean as they will not need any other type of air to air refueler or EW aircraft as well they can perform for duties well.

I suppose the USN doesn't really need that additional thrust, since their fighters always take off from sea level (off aircraft carriers). I don't know if that additional thrust can make a difference in A2A or other operational parameters. Maybe @gambit can way in on this. But the IAF wanted to to take off from several different airfields, and it failed to take-off from Leh, which is an airfield at a very high elevation. In the IAF's words, it failed the take-off test under "hot and high" conditions. Only the Eurofighter and the rafale passed that test. And that was important for the IAF, because we have several airfields high up in the Himalayas.
Yes, it does.

Look at it this way...With thrust that accelerate me at merely 1 km/hr, I can still gain enough ground speed to become airborne. But how much time and runway distance will that take? The higher thrust I have, the sooner and quicker I can accelerate, either to gain enough ground speed to become airborne, or to leave the combat zone after I dropped my bombs, or have increased aerodynamic forces on my surfaces so I can maneuver to escape a missile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it does.

Look at it this way...With thrust that accelerate me at merely 1 km/hr, I can still gain enough ground speed to become airborne. But how much time and runway distance will that take? The higher thrust I have, the sooner and quicker I can accelerate, either to gain enough ground speed to become airborne, or to leave the combat zone after I dropped my bombs, or have increased aerodynamic forces on my surfaces so I can maneuver to escape a missile.

Then that reinforces my point that it is a pity that the EPE was not available during the Indian MRCA trials. With 20% additional thrust, they may very well have taken off from Leh, and performed better at A2A maneuvering, which was sited as a weakness for the super hornet in IAF's evaluation.

What is your opinion of the superbug as a multirole fighter? How does it compare to the USAF's non stealth fighters? I mean, assuming all the bells and whistles on the F-15, F-16 and F-18 SH, all the upgraded electronics and engines for all, how does the USN's super hornet compare with the USAF's F-teens? As a multirole platform?

If only one of these was available to your country's AF, which one would you pick?

I suppose the USN doesn't really need that additional thrust, since their fighters always take off from sea level (off aircraft carriers). I don't know if that additional thrust can make a difference in A2A or other operational parameters.

It does make a difference in A2A. What it does is get better acceleration and give it better A2A performance. EPE makes the SH go against faster high flying targets. ROC might change and it's SC may change to 60,000ft. I don't see why the Navy wouldn't want this improvement. It's the best improvement next to the IRST. For now the SH needs to increase it's A2A capability more than A2G. A2G it's got everything it needs. It doesn't need the Weapon pod to carry it on every CAS mission. You only need it at night time. CFT's is more for giving the other guys more gas, stay airborne much longer and more range.

Then that reinforces my point that it is a pity that the EPE was not available during the Indian MRCA trials. With 20% additional thrust, they may very well have taken off from Leh, and performed better at A2A maneuvering, which was sited as a weakness for the super hornet in IAF's evaluation.

What is your opinion of the superbug as a multirole fighter? How does it compare to the USAF's non stealth fighters? I mean, assuming all the bells and whistles on the F-15, F-16 and F-18 SH, all the upgraded electronics and engines for all, how does the USN's super hornet compare with the USAF's F-teens? As a multirole platform?
My opinion is secondary to the US Navy's.

aircraft_carrier_complement_zpsce5a9fcb.jpg

Top is old. Bottom is current.

Keep in mind that the SH is related to the older -18 pretty much only in shape and planform, but hardly anything else. The SH is longer in fuselage, larger in wing area, and have about 40% less structural members. This alone made the SH quite a distinct design from the older version. Then take into consideration newer avionics and a lot of RCS control/reduction measures.

An aircraft carrier strike group is expeditionary force. Does not matter if the range is global or regional. As long as a part of an army (a general term) is sent to conduct military operations designed to be logistically independent for a certain amount of time, this unit is expeditionary and nothing is more representative of this than an aircraft carrier strike group.

For the top carrier, we see the F-14 for long range fleet defense, F-18 and E/A-6 for strike and electronic warfare, S-3 for assorted support missions ranging from ASW to air refuel, and E-2 for air control. You need not be a logistics or human resources expert, let alone a military version, to see the complexities of supporting such an organization far from home base.

The older F-18 already proved itself with the USN and USMC with its versatility. The SH will be no different and will surpass its older brother.

If only one of these was available to your country's AF, which one would you pick?
It is a tough call. Since I came from the F-16, I could make it obvious and favor the -16. But objectively speaking, the SH is the better choice even though the -16 is more agile and maneuverable. Both aircrafts were designed to be the proverbial jack-off-all-trades/master-of-none fighters with the -16 more so than the -18. But what make them different than the previous generations of jack-off-all-trades/master-of-none fighters, from any country, is that they raised the bars for those trades. This fact is not missed by those who need to defend themselves but cannot afford the development time and faces urgent if not dire threats.

The -18's more robust landing gear make it ideal for countries that have less than optimal airfields. If the country is mountainous, it is agile and maneuverable enough to take advantage of mountains for cover and its larger fuel capacity is better for such flights. If the country is small enough to make coverage possible by a high subsonic dash, may be only one external fuel tank is needed instead of two thereby freeing up two hard points for weapons. Just a few examples and there are many more factors that each country must take into account before settling on a fighter, but for now, the SH seems to be at least the standard to match, if not the best choice among the competition.

Just an aside: The original intent for the USAF was for the -15 to be in support of the -16 in air superiority. The intention was to have the -15's larger radar to find targets for the -16 and vector the smaller fighter in for the fight. The -16's smaller radar is good enough for that task and with its 9 gs capability, it would eat anyone foolish enough to stand and fight. But for those who may be smart enough to run, the -15 would give chase and either kill them on the run or scare them back to where they came from. With all due respect to the Raptor, the -16 may very well be the world's last true air combat fighter in the spirit of the breed.

The older F-18 already proved itself with the USN and USMC with its versatility. The SH will be no different and will surpass its older brother.
The SH proves to be better than it's Brother. The SH isn't a Hornet, it's a newer better aircraft but with the same airframe design. it's more larger and more capable than the F/A-18C or what it replaaced. I'm sure the Navy guys will tell you that. The Airframe is old but it's airframe is the most popular design. The F-16's airframe is old and still getting upgraded with advanced sensors and AESA.

It is a tough call. Since I came from the F-16, I could make it obvious and favor the -16. But objectively speaking, the SH is the better choice even though the -16 is more agile and maneuverable. Both aircrafts were designed to be the proverbial jack-off-all-trades/master-of-none fighters with the -16 more so than the -18
I don't know if you fly for the Navy or USAF, but since i've seen the SH demos on the international and read about it's maneuverability and the plane it's self, i think the Rhino is more maneuverable. The Hornet E/F outperforms the Viper in High AOA, Nose Point Ability, LERX (For Maneuvering) and Care Free handling area. I'm sure the Viper is more agile (since it's small). You can't really say one's more maneuverable than the other. It depends on the pilot and it's up to him maneuvering the machine. But i've read some where that the Super Hornet is a tough one to beat when a F-16 pilot commented his claims. Remember, the Hornets A/B/C/D/E/F are built to be superior WVR platforms. The F-16 are built to be high speed WVR platforms. And you don't need to mention every time that these aircraft are Jacks Of All Trades Master At None, because they do their roles great. The F-16 and F/A-18 will be told on what it needs to get done.

Back
Top Bottom