What's new

Swords Axes Spears

Your Favorite Warrior Weapon

• Total voters
He's Welsh, which the Viking raiders brought back to Scandinavia during raids... it's how red hair began to show up in Scandinavian populations. Besides, he's a f*cking Dwarf!!! That's as Scandinavian as Folklore gets.

Despite being adorable, this isn't native to the Nordic nations:

img-ss_bic_redhead_girl.jpg

It only came about in our population following raids of the British Isles.

He is one of us.

I didn't know you were talking about the actor. I was referring to the dwarf race in LOTR. Tolkien says they are based on the Jews.

I didn't know you were talking about the actor. I was referring to the dwarf race in LOTR. Tolkien says they are based on the Jews.

I'm no expert on LOTR lore (or that interested in it to be honest), but a red haired dwarf? Hard to get much more Scandinavian then that.

It's where the Berserker came from:

viking-going-berserk.jpg

Whether based on the Jews or not, he is one of our kin.

Anywho, back on topic. @+4vsgorillas-Apebane makes a good point. Historically spears did give a warrior an advantage with their reach, though two-handed ones weren't common in the North Lands.

The Norseman used one-handed short spears and a shield, similar to this Anglo Saxon spear:

king-raedwald.jpg

i like swords more. its elegant and stlylish to fught with .In tv series like spartcus or got there are some great sword fighting, axe in vikings.And chinese/japanese movies have lot of sword fighting as well (those i have watched:-)).

Several spear head types arose too. A woodcutting head called a höggspjót with a large, heavier head. Once again, they weren't two handed and were wielded with a shield.

BP10-7At10-15191.jpg

And a smaller, hooked or winged head or cutting and ripping, this being the krókspjót. These would be used as throwing spears, as opposed to the höggspjót, which was a thrusting weapon.

100_9077.jpg

Small woodcutting axes were carried as backup weapons.

SAR0039.jpg

Mine is a spear.
00439688edebdb0cc305efa3b9e93ab2b4014387_hq.jpg

It can crush your ribs into pieces.:D

Oh wait! We aren't talking about that.
It is sword for me then.:angel:

Last edited:
Katana is super overated.

It is also a rip off copy of Chinese swords during the Tang dynasty.

Why dont you post the heavy Indian sword with the blunt top? Its much better than that curved one with the middle eastern looking grip.

I know Chinese also have one of the finest sword making techniques, I will go through them :tup:

b6331610d0588da7f71e3b41fb56bfe6.jpg

Li Long from soul blade
latest

Hwang from soul blade
latest

Nonsense, he is one of us. Besides, how'd he beat our "tree"? Cross the North Sea:lol:?

The Draug will eat him first:D.

My favorite character from Scandinavian folklore

latest

A quick horse and a good bow.. And you're nearly invincible..
And a mighty impressive aim! :)

Yes, bows should be in that list. They were like the guns of today and there were snipers among the ranks!

And a mighty impressive aim! :)

Yes, bows should be in that list. They were like the guns of today and there were snipers among the ranks!

And not only in field battles, the bows were the strongest weapons in siege too, whether you're assaulting the stronghold (Castle, Fort, Keep, City walls) or defending it. I think the melee weapons get way too much credit simply because medieval warriors considered melee fights to be much more brave and honorable than using bows and crossbows.

a
And not only in field battles, the bows were the strongest weapons in siege too, whether you're assaulting the stronghold (Castle, Fort, Keep, City walls) or defending it. I think the melee weapons get way too much credit simply because medieval warriors considered melee fights to be much more brave and honorable than using bows and crossbows.
and there was this development,,,,
ballista.jpg

Short range tactical missile :P
A precision weapons compared to the ballistics used at that time.

* Long sword for single combat and if it is just me against me against multiple assailants.
*Gladius for infantry trained for Testudo formation.

OR

*Sarissa for infantry trained for Phalanx formation but only for pitched battle. No good if you are to lay siege.
*Long Sword for Heavy Knight Cavalry.
*Lance for light cavalry. Preferably paired with Horsed Archers for harassing enemy formations.

Crossbows were shown in a movie in 80s-90s. I loved that movie and its music very much. The hero used to wear cloak. Can anyone tell the movie's name.

Back
Top Bottom