What's new

Tibet in Trumoil

Tiki Tam Tam

<b>MILITARY PROFESSIONALS</b>
Reaction score
Turmoil in Tibet after deadly violence10 hours ago

BEIJING (AFP) &#8212; Tibet braced for the worst Saturday after a day of violence in the capital Lhasa, where police opened fire to quell the biggest anti-Chinese protests in two decades and some deaths were reported, officials and rights groups said.

The protests, which spread outside Tibet into other areas of China, came amid a growing international campaign by Tibetans to challenge Beijing's rule of the Himalayan region ahead of the Olympic Games in August.

China's state-run Xinhua news agency confirmed that police had fired warning shots and used tear gas to disperse the demonstrating crowd in the heart of old Lhasa.

Several people lost their lives and many others were injured in Lhasa on Friday, an official at the city's medical emergency centre told AFP, with Radio Free Asia reporting at least two people had been killed by Chinese bullets.

Xinhua said many police officers had been injured but did not elaborate.

Dense smoke covered central Lhasa, as several buildings, including a mosque, were set on fire, Xinhua said. An eyewitness inside Lhasa also reported seeing a mosque ablaze, according to the the London-based Free Tibet Campaign.

Police cordoned off several sections of downtown Lhasa and were on the lookout for new violence, according to the Xinhua report.

The regional government "took emergency measures to rescue residents under attack," Xinhua said, including reinforced protection of schools, hospitals and gas stations.

Local government imposed heightened control on Lhasa's main streets Friday night, while sending out a "sabotage" warning via TV, calling on viewers to take unspecified precautions.

Xinhua said police had not announced any arrests. It also said the violence had died down early Saturday, but that burning wreckage in the streets was left from the previous day's clashes.

The tense situation triggered a United Nations call for calm.

"We urge that care be taken by all concerned to avoid confrontation and violence," said UN chief Ban Ki-moon's press office.

The United States, Britain and other European states expressed concern over the violence, with the White House calling on Beijing to "respect Tibetan culture" and the US ambassador here asking officials to "act with restraint".

Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, said the protests were a result of public resentment of the "brute force" employed by China to maintain control of the region for more than 50 years.

"I therefore appeal to the Chinese leadership to stop using force and address the long-simmering resentment of the Tibetan people through dialogue with the Tibetan people," he said in a statement issued from his base in India.

"I also urge my fellow Tibetans not to resort to violence."

But Tibet's Communist government blamed groups close to the Dalai Lama for "organised, premeditated and masterminded... sabotage," Xinhua said early Saturday.

A spokesman for the Dalai Lama, Chhime R. Chhoekyapa, reacted swiftly, calling the Chinese accusation "absolutely baseless."

The New York-based Human Rights Watch said security forces had responded to anti-Chinese demonstrations by beating protesters, firing live ammunition, surrounding monasteries and cutting phone lines into places of worship.

More than 100 Buddhist monks kicked off the protests early Friday, which quickly attracted hundreds of other Tibetans and saw one of the biggest markets in Lhasa as well as cars set ablaze, foreign tourists and rights groups said.

At least 900 people rioted in Lhasa, and more than 1,000 security forces were sent in to quell the unrest, the Free Tibet Campaign said, citing Tibetans in the city.

The official at the medical emergency centre in Lhasa said staff were overwhelmed by the number of victims.

"We are very busy with the injured people now -- there are many people injured here. Definitely some people have died, but I don't know how many," a female official at the centre said by phone.

Radio Free Asia, a US-funded broadcaster, said there had been terrible clashes between Tibetans and Chinese security forces.

"Chinese police fired on rioting Tibetan protesters in Lhasa on Friday, killing at least two people, as Tibetans torched cars and shops and anti-Chinese demonstrators surged through the streets," it said.

The unrest spread outside Lhasa, with monks leading a rally of up to 4,000 people in Xiahe, Gansu province, the site of one of Tibetan Buddhism's most important monasteries, the Free Tibet Campaign said, citing Tibetan sources there.

The unrest followed three days of protests by hundreds of monks in Lhasa, India and elsewhere around the world that marked the anniversary of a failed Tibetan uprising against Chinese rule in 1959.

China has ruled Tibet since 1951, a year after sending troops in to "liberate" the region from what it said was feudal rule. The Dalai Lama, fled to India following the failed 1959 uprising.

Tibetan rights groups have vowed to pile intense pressure on China over its controversial rule of the region in the lead-up to the Summer Olympic Games, when the world's spotlight will be put on the nation's communist rulers.

The protests are the biggest since 1989, when current Chinese President Hu Jintao was the Communist Party chief of Tibet.

Hu is due to be re-elected on Saturday by the nation's rubber-stamp parliament as president for another five years.
AFP: Turmoil in Tibet after deadly violence

Developments Related to Tibet Crisis
By The Associated Press &#8211; 2 hours ago

Tibet developments at a glance:

TURMOIL IN TIBET &#8212; Protests led by Buddhist monks against Chinese rule in Tibet turned violent, filling the provincial capital of Lhasa in smoke from tear gas, bonfires and burned shops. According to eyewitness accounts and photos posted on the Internet, crowds hurled rocks at riot police, hotels and restaurants. The U.S. Embassy said Americans had reported gunfire. U.S. government-funded Radio Free Asia reported two people were killed.

DALAI LAMA COMMENT &#8212; Tibet's spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, called the protests a "manifestation of the deep-rooted resentment of the Tibetan people," and urged both sides to avoid violence. In Dharmsala, India, the site of Tibet's government-in-exile, he urged China's leadership to "stop using force and address the long-simmering resentment of the Tibetan people through dialogue with the Tibetan people."

U.S. COMMENT &#8212; White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said Beijing needs to respect Tibetan culture and multi-ethnicity in its society. "We regret the tensions between the ethnic groups and Beijing," he said, adding that President Bush has said consistently that Beijing needs to have a dialogue with the Dalai Lama. The U.S. ambassador to China has urged the government to "act with restraint" in dealing with the protesters, said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.

OLYMPIC OUTLOOK &#8212; The violence poses difficulties for a Communist leadership that has looked to the Aug. 8-24 Olympics as a way to recast China as a friendly, modern power. Too rough a crackdown could put that at risk, while balking could embolden protesters, costing Beijing authority in often-restive Tibet.

RICHARD GERE COMMENT &#8212; Buddhist actor who has advocated Tibetan independence for 30 years said no one should be surprised by the uprising. "They've been brutally repressed for 50 years, 55 years, close to six decades. When you repress the people, they will explode. All people will explode."

EU APPEAL &#8212; European Union leaders appealed to China to show restraint in Tibet, but the criticism of Beijing's response to the demonstrations did not go so far as to threaten a boycott of the Beijing Olympics. EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said: "As far as the Olympic Games are concerned I intend to be there."

INDIA PROTEST &#8212; Police have clashed with scores of pro-Tibet protesters near the Chinese Embassy in New Delhi, arresting dozens of them. The chanting protesters were trying to reach the embassy, in a wealthy New Delhi neighborhood, when they were stopped by police. Police could be seen arresting at least two dozen people.

NEPAL PROTEST &#8212; Police scuffled with about 1,000 protesters, including dozens of Buddhist monks, during a rally in Nepal's capital of Katmandu in support of demonstrators in Tibet. About 12 monks were injured.

U.N. PROTEST &#8212; Dozens of Tibetans held a noisy protest against Chinese rule outside the United Nations, and six were arrested. Psurbu Tsering of the Tibetan Association of New York and New Jersey said its members received phone calls from Tibet claiming 70 people had been killed and 1,000 arrested in the Chinese province. The reports could not be verified.
Hosted by Copyright &#169; 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Violent Protests in Tibet Catch China Off-Guardby Anthony Kuhn

Listen Now [3 min 37 sec] add to playlist

Enlarge

Stringer
Tibetans throw stones at Chinese army vehicles as a car burns on a street in the Tibetan capital of Lhasa after violent protests broke out Friday. AFP/Getty Images

Several days of protests in Tibet turned violent Friday, as demonstrators threw rocks and burned shops and cars in the capital, Lhasa, and casualties were reported.

The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights urged Beijing to respond with restraint, as did the United States and the European Union.

The protests appear to have caught China off-guard just months before it hosts the summer Olympics.

Eyewitness accounts say that Friday's violence was centered in Barkhor, the heart of old Lhasa and the site of similar violent protests nearly 20 years ago.

Reports say that demonstrators burned shops and vehicles in Barkhor and pelted police with stones.

The U.S. Embassy in China warned American travelers to stay off the streets.

The protests began peacefully on Monday. Monks from the three main Buddhist monasteries around Lhasa marched in remembrance of a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.

From his home in exile in Dharamsala, India, Tibet's spiritual leader the Dalai Lama spoke then of "increasing brutality and repression" in Tibet.

"For nearly six decades, Tibetans in the whole of Tibet have had to live in a state of constant fear, intimidation and suspicion under Chinese repression," he said.

"But in addition to maintaining their religious faith, a sense of nationalism and their unique culture, the Tibetan people have been able to keep alive their basic aspiration for freedom."

In recent days, protesters have demonstrated outside Chinese diplomatic missions in several cities around the world. In India, police arrested about 100 protesters marching toward the border with Tibet.

Tsewang Rigzin is president of the Tibetan Youth Congress, a Dharamsala-based organization of exiles involved in the march. He says the run-up to the Beijing Olympics was the perfect opportunity to make a statement.

"This is a golden opportunity for our struggle. Tibet has been under Chinese occupation for the last 50 years, and we never had such an opportunity to shine the spotlight on the brutal Communist Chinese regime in Tibet," he says.

On Friday, the Dalai Lama appealed to China's leadership to address what he called the long-simmering resentment toward Chinese rule over Tibet.

China's government did not comment Friday on the escalation in violence. On Thursday, Qin Gang, China's Foreign Ministry spokesman, blamed the unrest on the Dalai Lama.

"This was a political plot carefully planned by the Dalai's group to separate Tibet from China and disrupt the normal, stable and harmonious life of the Tibetan people," he said.

Lodi Gyari is the Dalai Lama's envoy to the U.S. He says that now, just as 50 years ago, Tibetans are protesting restrictions on basic religious freedoms. And he has told the Chinese this in negotiations.

"I said &#8230; don't make mistakes again. Just go back and see what happened in the early, mid-1950s. But they never learn. They just think that they have the upper hand," he says.

Observers note that when the last wave of major unrest shook Tibet &#8212; in 1989 &#8212; the region's Communist Party boss did not hesitate to unleash a harsh military and political crackdown. That boss, Hu Jintao, is now China's president.

Related NPR Stories
March 14, 2008
Tibet Scholar in U.S. Reflects on ProtestsMarch 14, 2008
Anti-China Protest Becomes Violent in TibetMarch 14, 2008
Tibetans Burn Chinese Shops in Major ProtestMarch 14, 2008
Monks' Protest Rejects Chinese Rule in Tibet
NPR: U.S. Scholar: Protests a 'Disaster' for China, Tibet

The Tibetan protest coincides with the tenth anniversary of the Tibetan uprising.

This indicates that the Tibetans have not been assimilated by the Han culture and suzerainty as has not the Uighurs of Xinjiang.

The idea that the Tibetans had been assimilated by China to the mainstream prompted China to open up Tibet to tourists and since tourists are present in Tibet, this protest could not be put a lid to as it is done in Xinjiang against news of such protests by Uighurs being blanketed out.

The BBC showed that even though there is this protest ongoing in Tibet, the Chinese news have blanked it out.

One wonders what will be the reaction in Xinjiang. Already the Chinese have claimed that two attempts to sabotage the Olympics including an attempt to hijack an aircraft from teh Xinjiang capital to Beijing was foiled.

One also wonders if the Olympics will be incident free.

I too think that tibetan separatists may use Olympics as an opportunity to get into lime light.

Eyewitness account of violence between protesters and police in Tibet | World news | The Guardian

This is an eyewitness account of a foreign resident in Lhasa who took refuge in a hotel close to the centre of the Tibetan capital yesterday. The city was gripped by violence after protesters and police clashed

"Oh my God. Oh no. That's crazy. One hundred people are trying to stone one man. A man was trying to cross the street with his motorcycle - they were trying to stone him but it's so crowded I can't see whether they got him or not.

"We came out for a walk about at about five today. I knew something was happening because there were a lot of people on the street. We were on Sera Street, which goes to the [Klukang] monastery. It sounds like the noise came from there; it sounds like at first they had been fighting in the temple.

"We saw people running and people in this hotel told us to get in quickly as the crowd was coming. They seem OK here, maybe the owner is Tibetan. All the other hotels have smashed windows.

"The residents are very angry. They are throwing stones at anyone who is Han [Chinese] or from other minorities like the Hui, who are Muslims. It seems like it's ethnic - like they want to kill anyone not Tibetan.

"I would say it's a riot here but I think in the centre it's worse. There's a lot of smoke - we can see it where there have been burnings. I heard people saying the authorities were firing, using guns. We don't know.

Here we have seen people trying to stone anyone they can - Han and other minorities, not foreigners. The Tibetans had stones and knives. I saw Chinese people running away - there was nothing they could do.

"We don't see any police around here. Maybe they're all in the centre and are too busy. It's very violent.

"Oh my God. Someone has a gun in front of me. There's a group of about 20 people - two of them have handguns. They are walking the street.They're shooting. They didn't have uniforms, but the way they were in a group I thought maybe they were police. They went down the street and the first one fired, that's for sure - I think the others did; there was so much noise I can't be sure. Then some of the citizens threw stones, but not at them - in the other direction. So I don't know if they were police or maybe Tibetans.

"I have just been out to get my things. We are staying at the hotel tonight. There are still people on the streets but only Tibetans - if they see anyone Chinese they throw stones.

"Three times people raised their arms and then when they saw I was white they stopped it. The thing that surprised me most was that I saw no police or soldiers.

"I saw three people assaulting a man - I was 50 metres away, but I think he was Chinese. They kicked him and then one man had a knife and used it. He was lying on the floor and the man put the knife in his back, like he wanted to see he was dead.

"I had to get away, there were people throwing stones.

"When I came back he was gone - I don't know if he's dead. Then I saw people who had obviously been beaten or stoned. There wasn't blood on them but they were so shocked.

"This area used to be a place where Tibetans and the Chinese were friendly.

"I think this is going to get worse. One person told me 300 people have died in the city centre [the Guardian has no information to substantiate this claim]. I just don't know."

----------------------

I boldface those statements except the first paragraph.

In a society of law and order, criminals have to be prosecuted.

Tibetians have basically evolved from Nomads, they are one of the most peace loving civilizations in the world, I am sure they are subjected to supression of culture and rights, which lead to protest and violence.

Though a free tibet is not a solution, the chinese govt should negotiate with the tibetians to give them more autonomy in the region.

"Beware the fury of a patient man[Civilization in this case]"

^^^ Thats a bunch of rubbish - people are people every where - push them/incite them enough and they will crack and resort to this sort of behavior.

Tibetan people have been brutally suppressed by China and the province has been inundated by the Han Chinese migrants who now control the economy. Tibetans have been reduced to a minority in their own nation.

The whole world has not raised a finger to oppose this brutal occupation of a peace loveing nation.

When you see people supporting this suppression of Tibetans being lauded and then the same people proclaim to support the so called aspirations of Kashmiris it does make you wonder!

I do believe the Tibetan nation will achieve it's freedom one day. However improbable it may seem now! Justice may be slow in coming but it does happen in the end.

I never realized the insincerity of some Tibet rights groups based in Daramsala, India, to be barefaced like this: "34 people have died in the Nwaga County area of Sichuan province in western China.The dead include women and children, the group said in an e-mail, adding they were killed by Chinese police attempting to stop the protests. "

I've been following updates on Lahsa violence since Friday. and found facts as below:

Who were there setting markets and shops on fire? --the rioters

Who were killing innocent civilians? --the rioters

Witness say there were snowmountain and lion flags among the protesting crowd,which stands for indenpendance of Tibet, and preset a different tone from all previous Tibetan petitions.

Witness say they saw western person among the crowd and was stirring up people by saying "same protests are being held in many countries right now!"

When monks set out from Ramoche Temple,north of Lahsa, it had been a peaceful demonstration, yet when the procession was stopped by police as done in other countries like Switzerland,Nepal and India, they converted themselves into rioters and killed 2 policemen.

the policemen launched warning guns and tear gas after 2 of their men got killed in the violence. the former protesters,now bloody rioters began to set fire on markets and shops and stoned non-Tibetans, more than 10 innocent people were burn to death.

Is indenpendance an excuse good enough to kill innocent people randomly with stones and knives?

Isn't it shameless to report the kills of innocent people in Lahsa by fuzzing up the apparent killers?

Last but not the least, last night I read CNN news on Tibet Violence and translated it into Chinese for my friends, but today it was modified, both title and context.

Given the negativity of China towards India I sometimes feel that India should change its official stance towards Tibet.

Tibetan people have been brutally suppressed by China and the province has been inundated by the Han Chinese migrants who now control the economy. Tibetans have been reduced to a minority in their own nation.

Stop making craps if you can't enlighten people with correct informations.

Tibet has a population of 2,700,000, among which 94.7% are Tibetan. the rest like han,menba,louba and hui make up actual local minorities in Tibet.

approx 13% of the Tibetan are monasteries (being treated as national public servants),that makes a nubmer of 332397. the top national public servant is Champa Phuntsok,chairman of Tibetan autonomous region.

100-300 monasteries had participated in the protest during the past week, that's 3%-9% of total monasteries in Tibet.

Long love China:china:

Most of the propaganda about Chinese oppression has no ground.

India,US and these countries support tibetan separatism because Nearly all the Major rivers of South and East asia originate from tibet.Most of the main tributaries of Ganga and Brahmaputra river itself comes from tibet.

this puts Indias veins in the hands of Chinese .

So Indians please stop inciting Tibetans .China would remain a GREAT,UNIFIED and PROSPEROUS country.:china:

The fact is countries like the U.S. and India were looking for opportunities such as these. This is not that big of a deal but it is the anti-Chinese media is add fuel to this fire which really isn't that big. I mean things like this happen in India all the time. Whatever is happening in China is an internal matter of that country and no second country should be getting involved.

When you see people supporting this suppression of Tibetans being lauded and then the same people proclaim to support the so called aspirations of Kashmiris it does make you wonder!

Vinod, that comparison is not apt, because from this side of the aisle it is the Indians who are refusing to allow a "free and fair plebiscite" under the auspices of the UN. To us India's stance on the issue of Kashmir, vs its position on Tibet, is what comes across as "hypocritical".

I do believe the Tibetan nation will achieve it's freedom one day. However improbable it may seem now! Justice may be slow in coming but it does happen in the end

And the exact same sentiment for Kashmir on the Pakistani side, plus the fact that we also consider it disputed territory.

The point here is that it is naive to make comparisons like you did, since nations and peoples tend to operate on the basis of interests and whatever the popular narrative in the culture/society is.

Anyway, off the subject of Kashmir and back to Tibet everyone....

Vinod, that comparison is not apt, because from this side of the aisle it is the Indians who are refusing to allow a "free and fair plebiscite" under the auspices of the UN. To us India's stance on the issue of Kashmir, vs its position on Tibet, is what comes across as "hypocritical".

Come on man lets be realistic here. If India were to hold a plebiscite it would loose all its territory, India would be wiped off the map as we know it. Kashmir would be lost. Bengal would be lost. Hderabad would be lost. Punjab would be lost. And I could go on and on.

Come on man lets be realistic here. If India were to hold a plebiscite it would loose all its territory, India would be wiped off the map as we know it. Kashmir would be lost. Bengal would be lost. Hderabad would be lost. Punjab would be lost. And I could go on and on.

That is one line of thought, but lets move off that and focus on the subject of the thread please.

Back
Top Bottom