What's new

Trying India's FREE Government School Meal

It is the biggest free school lunch program in the world . Not only does it provide food it also helps in reducing the dropout ratio in schools. This scheme also provides support to recognised and unrecognised Madrassas ( Since 2008).

Still we have a long way to go but I am happy that we are on right path regarding this and right to education act.

Just to give you idea of the size 2.4 million people are employed to do this ( cooks , cleaners etc) and more than 500,000 kitchens have been set up. Close to 10 crore ( thats like 100 million) kids are fed daily in schools that's like 1/14th of Indian population.

https://www.businesstoday.in/magazi...scheme-on-school-enrollment/story/190746.html

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...meal-scheme-everyday/articleshow/53554096.cms

Last edited:
In the early 1960s, while on a visit to Cheranmahadevi town in Tirunelveli district, then Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K. Kamaraj noticed a boy herding cattle and asked him why he was not in school. The boy replied: "If I go to school will you give me food to eat? I can learn only if I eat." His response gave birth to the Mid Day Meal Scheme. Today, it has become the largest schoolchild feeding programme in the world, covering 110 million students in 1.2 million schools.

When he became the chief minister in 1982, M.G. Ramachandran expanded Kamaraj's initiative across Tamil Nadu. Initially seen as a costly populist measure, it began to get noticed as enrolment and attendance in schools rose.

History made by Kamaraj CM of TN then rest is history.
PS: Kamaraj is from Congress

In the early 1960s, while on a visit to Cheranmahadevi town in Tirunelveli district, then Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K. Kamaraj noticed a boy herding cattle and asked him why he was not in school. The boy replied: "If I go to school will you give me food to eat? I can learn only if I eat." His response gave birth to the Mid Day Meal Scheme. Today, it has become the largest schoolchild feeding programme in the world, covering 110 million students in 1.2 million schools.

When he became the chief minister in 1982, M.G. Ramachandran expanded Kamaraj's initiative across Tamil Nadu. Initially seen as a costly populist measure, it began to get noticed as enrolment and attendance in schools rose.

History made by Kamaraj CM of TN then rest is history.

Yes that's how the scheme started and then it was rolled across India . Tamil Nadu is one of the leaders in India in social cohesion and welfare of people .

It is the biggest free school lunch program in the world . Not only does it provide food it also helps in reducing the dropout ratio in schools.

Good initiative

It is a good and admirable idea indeed but there are three areas of improvement :

1. Eggs should be given. Eggs are one of the best forms of protein.

2. In certain places like in Rajasthan, there is caste discrimination against lower caste students.

3. The "SIMILAR THREADS" section at the bottom of the page shows two tragic cases of students dying because of contaminated food. So quality should be ensured. Plus, there was the dog in the OP vid. Dogs can spread diseases.

Kamaraj has planned to open many primary school and Target number is 4000 after stuck deal with Periyar who is main opposition. Once he elected as CM his first order is to open primary school do you the numbers? yes it is 40000. He opened every town and village. He traveled extensively. Even one of my relative offered land for the primary school.

1. Eggs should be given. Eggs are one of the best forms of protein.
It is already there in TN Mid day menu

It is the biggest free school lunch program in the world . Not only does it provide food it also helps in reducing the dropout ratio in schools. This scheme also provides support to recognised and unrecognised Madrassas ( Since 2008).

Still we have a long way to go but I am happy that we are on right path regarding this and right to education act.

Just to give you idea of the size 2.4 million people are employed to do this ( cooks , cleaners etc) and more than 500,000 kitchens have been set up. Close to 10 crore ( thats like 100 million) kids are fed daily in schools that's like 1/14th of Indian population.

https://www.businesstoday.in/magazi...scheme-on-school-enrollment/story/190746.html

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...meal-scheme-everyday/articleshow/53554096.cms

I believe these formal education is nonsense. You can not make a boy capable of earning even after ten years of schooling. Rather I would say they should be trained in some vocation, profession like carpentry, masonry, electrical work, TV Repairing, Mobile repairing etc. so that they can earn their day to day expense from their skills.

I believe these formal education is nonsense. You can not make a boy capable of earning even after ten years of schooling. Rather I would say they should be trained in some vocation, profession like carpentry, masonry, electrical work, TV Repairing, Mobile repairing etc. so that they can earn their day to day expense from their skills.

True although it depends on the person.

So you want the population semi skilled? why so you higher class will have less competition for high skill jobs?
same this right now Neet doing in TN

Back
Top Bottom