What's new

Turkey to enter top 10 largest economies by 2023

I remember when I was a kid and watched the 2002 world cup. Turkey had a great team and gave the mighty Brazil(my favorite team) a hard time but Brazil still prevailed. Since then the national team of turkey has been in limbo. You guys develop great players like Ozil and others. But to me it seem Turkish national team lately has not been successful. Hopefully it does.

Now back to economics Turkey is growing pretty fast. It will be a powerhouse and I think Turkey should just give up trying to join the EU because of the mess it is going through. Thing is Turkey needs energy to fuel its economy. My question is what will be Turkey's future foreign policy? Will it be the policeman of the middle east? Continue zero problems policy? Be more assertive to protect its energy investments in Iran,Iraq,Azerbaijan? Will it be more assertive against Israel? Turkey is about to hit a crossroads to decide what type of power it is going to be.

You forgot that in 2008 Euro's we was 3rd , we get eliminated by germany in Semi-finals , hopefully brazil 2014 we will be good again , we're very unlucky as we are so close to so much resources but we have none , like iraq , iran , and arab nations

I remember when I was a kid and watched the 2002 world cup. Turkey had a great team and gave the mighty Brazil(my favorite team) a hard time but Brazil still prevailed. Since then the national team of turkey has been in limbo. You guys develop great players like Ozil and others. But to me it seem Turkish national team lately has not been successful. Hopefully it does.

Now back to economics Turkey is growing pretty fast. It will be a powerhouse and I think Turkey should just give up trying to join the EU because of the mess it is going through. Thing is Turkey needs energy to fuel its economy. My question is what will be Turkey's future foreign policy? Will it be the policeman of the middle east? Continue zero problems policy? Be more assertive to protect its energy investments in Iran,Iraq,Azerbaijan? Will it be more assertive against Israel? Turkey is about to hit a crossroads to decide what type of power it is going to be.

Thank you for observations and well intentioned friend PapaDoc23,

Yes we have the energy problems, our government working on nuclear power plants, natural energy sources (sun, wind etc), rock gas, petrol in south east and mediterranean etc. Turkey already going to zero problem policy this way our governtment working hard. Our on going investments probably will be protected by government but also we are working for alternatives energy sources against Russia and Iran because they are not trustable. Turkey allways moving according to attitudes of Israel if Israel be in well intention we will be allways in peacefull against them. I Think We will keep our on going policies in the future.

Best regards from Turkey.

It is definitely possible.

In fact, I think Turkey might enter the top 10 economies a lot sooner than that.
What makes you think so? Turkey's population is at a disadvantage with bigger countries such as Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico, Russia etc. I don't know but it seems very hard. Not that it matters, I mean who cares if you're the 10th or 13th biggest economy in the world. Wealth distribution is far more important, and health care and social security in general!

What makes you think so? Turkey's population is at a disadvantage with bigger countries such as Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico, Russia etc. I don't know but it seems very hard. Not that it matters, I mean who cares if you're the 10th or 13th biggest economy in the world. Wealth distribution is far more important, and health care and social security in general!

sorry but size doesn't mean great economy, NL is an example of this and so if Denmark.

What makes you think that? Have you ever looked at France, Germany, Spain, Britain and etc.? Those have pretty much the same amount of population as Turkey and they are all Global Players.

Turkey has huge dependency of imported hydrocarbons and it has to safeguard all the supply lines and try to merge Iraqi Kurdistan, Azerbaijan & Levant in a single union . Turkey has all the capabilities to be a more powerful country and its Muslim & ottoman roots automatically makes it power in the region and provide great leverage in negotiations in the highly volatile region.

Turkey has huge dependency of imported hydrocarbons and it has to safeguard all the supply lines and try to merge Iraqi Kurdistan, Azerbaijan & Levant in a single union . Turkey has all the capabilities to be a more powerful country and its Muslim & ottoman roots automatically makes it power in the region and provide great leverage in negotiations in the highly volatile region.

I am not with your opinion my friend. Japan as an economical leader has huge dependency of imported hydrocarbons, too. that is not a dramatic weakness. Those type of opinions just push turkey to severe regional conflicts. No doubt, stopping them from developing.
To be honest I am sure if turkey had huge sources, now it is something like other countries in middle east. It was their great chance that turkey have had no. To explain more let to compare the economic complexity of some countries:

First example is Japan as an example of having an excellent economic complexity:

1280px-Japan_Export_Treemap.jpg

Japan Export Treemap

Second example is Saudi Arabia as a main provider of world's hydrocarbons:

768px-Saudi_Arabia_Export_Treemap.png

Saudi Arabia Export Treemap

And the last one is for Turkey, more alike to the economic complexity of a developed country:

Turkey_Export_Treemap.png

Turkey Export Treemap

This is complete BS, Turkey does not have any good oil and gas reserves.
only country will large gas and oil reserves can sustain a good growth.
for the time being you will do well, but wait ten year time when reserves are low and countries like Usa+China+India+japan
are desperate for oil then how will turkey get their resources?

There are two options:
with forece:
We could either take Cyprus as a whole, take back the north of Iraq to its rightful owner,

diplomatic:
there are still the Azeris and the Eurasian countries, which will not let us dry, the Iraqi Kurds are also in favor of Turkey and will build their piplelines through Turkey, so they're basically putting hell of a trust in us.

and who knows we might find a bit of gas/oil in the black sea or in the meditteranean.

And you're statement that only countries with large oil/gas reserves can maintain a good growth, now thats really BS.

I am not with your opinion my friend. Japan as an economical leader has huge dependency of imported hydrocarbons, too. that is not a dramatic weakness. Those type of opinions just push turkey to severe regional conflicts. No doubt, stopping them from developing.
To be honest I am sure if turkey had huge sources, now it is something like other countries in middle east. It was their great chance that turkey have had no. To explain more let to compare the economic complexity of some countries:

First example is Japan as an example of having an excellent economic complexity:

1280px-Japan_Export_Treemap.jpg

Japan Export Treemap

Second example is Saudi Arabia as a main provider of world's hydrocarbons:

768px-Saudi_Arabia_Export_Treemap.png

Saudi Arabia Export Treemap

And the last one is for Turkey, more alike to the economic complexity of a developed country:

Turkey_Export_Treemap.png

Turkey Export Treemap[/
Thanks for sharing the comparative data and with due respect to your opinion , my point was something else and that was regarding Turkey's role as an important geostrategic player in the region and beyond & that can only be acquired with the present capabilities that it posses and the control structure of near region's hydrocarbons .

This is complete BS, Turkey does not have any good oil and gas reserves.
only country will large gas and oil reserves can sustain a good growth.
for the time being you will do well, but wait ten year time when reserves are low and countries like Usa+China+India+japan
are desperate for oil then how will turkey get their resources?

You mean Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Libya, Qatar, UAE etc etc?

Back
Top Bottom