What's new

Upcoming Pakistani films

What about Pakistani documentaries? Documentaries relating to exploration, discovery, travel, culture, history, something interesting.

Yup i've saw plenty of documentries related to US & European military operation in Iraq & Afghanistan, by their channals CNN & BBC etc but never found any Pakistani military documentary. It will be appriciable if anyone post here.

Best documentary to see Northern Areas is the Snow leopard documentary. It is old, but you can easily find it on youtube.

Towards the end I got pissed off. White people always have to meddle with nature.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Yup i've saw plenty of documentries related to US & European military operation in Iraq & Afghanistan, by their channals CNN & BBC etc but never found any Pakistani military documentary. It will be appriciable if anyone post here.

Here are two different ones for you sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waging Waar

LAHORE:
Bilal Lashari’s major directorial effort Waar has been much-awaited since its trailer release on the New Year weekend. Starring big names like Shaan Shahid, Aisha Khan, Shamoon Abbasi, Meesha Shafi, Ali Azmat and Hamza Abbasi, the project seems fated for blockbuster success.

The charismatic director speaks to The Express Tribune about his latest venture, working with writer and producer Hassan Waqas Rana and the film’s impact on the Pakistani film industry.

How was your overall experience of making Waar? When is the film expected to be released?

Making a quality feature film is a huge undertaking — a good producer is essential for such a project. I was lucky to find a producer who shared my goals. While he brought the script and resources for the venture, I added my creativity and a vision for execution.

We were able to put a passionate crew and stellar cast together. Although we have just released a trailer recently, the reaction and feedback we received have been overwhelming. A release date will be announced as soon as post-production process is complete and a distribution deal is finalised.

Please share how the story relates to Pakistan and what it is based on?

Waar uses some actual events and characters as an occasional backdrop but is stylised. Counterterrorism is a good sub-genre for an action/thriller as well as critical and relevant to Pakistan’s current situation.

Some reports say the funding for the film has come from Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR)?
T
he ISPR has no involvement in Waar. Hassan Waqas Rana, the writer and executive producer has funded this film. MindWorks Media did a project in the middle of Waar for the ISPR called the Glorious Resolve. There has been some confusion as some people thought the shoot for Glorious Resolve was actually for Waar.

Can you comment on the technology used in Waar?

Modern digital technology has been used in the production and post-production process. The cinematography is one of the main reasons it looks different from previous Pakistani films.

The cast includes some new faces to the film genre like Meesha Shafi and Ali Azmat as well as some veteran film actors like Shaan. Was it difficult working with such a diverse group of performers?

We wanted the best and we got the best. Shaan is absolutely brilliant and his fans are going to love him in Waar. Casting celebrities, who are primarily known for their work in other mediums, brought production value to the film. Ali Azmat is an icon and a true entertainer while Meesha Shafi is a multitalented, gifted artist. Both were perfect choices.

What are some of the lessons you have learnt through the production process?

The most challenging part of the process has been facing delays. The process of film-making is dependent on numerous variables. Even if a single component is missing, the production comes to a halt. This happens mostly in Pakistan as there is limited infrastructure to support film-making. I’m glad I have a very resourceful producer; otherwise it would have taken forever to complete the project.

In the past, you have commented on Pakistani film-makers and how they need to get away from typical Bollywood concepts. Do you see Waar raising the bar and setting a new standard?

Bollywood is brilliant at what it does and its formula seems to work for its intended audience. However, the problem occurs when Pakistani film-makers follow their style. We don’t realise that Bollywood’s biggest strength lies in their production value. When we try to emulate their aesthetics without the same production value to back it up, we come up with a below-average film in comparison. This is why, with Waar, I wanted to make a film which was not influenced by Bollywood at all.

We need to explore and capitalise on our own strength and find our own identity in cinema. In my opinion, due to Pakistan’s important position in the global arena, people from all over the world are more receptive to stories from Pakistan than ever before.

Waging Waar – The Express Tribune

Raz I've seen the BBC Snow leopard one and yes it's the best I've seen on Pakistan. As for the others We Are Soldiers and PMA documentary, I'm looking for something besides military. Like a Pakistani documentary on history, science, space, politics, culture, art, wildlife, travel. Something interesting but thanks for trying to help.

A Pakistani documentary about foreign countries would be interesting...

Ishq Khuda to release on Eidul Fitr

LAHORE:
Pakistani film director Shehzad Rafique has marked the New Year by announcing that he will be directing a film Ishq Khuda. The director held an inauguration ceremony at the Alhamra Arts Council which was hosted by veteran screenwriter Pervaiz Kaleem. Produced by Saleem Zubair and written by Pervaiz Kaleem, the director has casted versatile actors including film stars Meera, Saima, Zara Sheikh and Ahsan Khan.
Rafique is primarily known for his Punjabi romantic film Mohabbatan Sachiyan and the success of his 2004 release Salakhain. Having developed a reputation over the years for creative storytelling using traditional concepts, Rafique’s film announcement has been endorsed by superstars like Shaan and director Syed Noor.
Regarding the story of the film, “It’s too early to disclose the details but it will be about the search for true love. The theme is based on Sufism — we want to promote tolerance while also making the film thought-provoking for viewers,” says Rafique who plans to start the shooting for the film on January 18.
In terms of technology, Rafique explains that the overall project will take eight to nine months to complete, the film will be shot in Sargodha and the production process will be completed in India or Malaysia. “Since Ishq Khuda is being produced on the same format as most Bollywood films, the quality should be up to the mark,” says Rafique.
Regarding the film content, screenwriter Pervaiz Kaleem says, “There will be no violence in the film. I have done over 200 films; I personal feel there is something special about Ishq Khuda.”

Ishq Khuda to release on Eidul Fitr – The Express Tribune

sharmeenobaid_543.jpg

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy became the first Pakistani filmmaker to earn an Oscar nomination with her film Saving face, which was nominated in the “Documentary, short film” category as the Oscar nominations were released on Tuesday.

Pakistan should sign contracts with Iranian film Industry: Syed Noor

Lahore: Famous film director of Pakistan, Syed Noor has said that Pakistan should sign contract with Iranian film Industry.
While talking to media he said that he has released his film ‘Hum Aik Hain’ in Iran and it was also included in the ongoing Festival of Iran.

“Iran is our neighboring country and we can make good films with the support of Iran,” Noor added.

He further said that Pakistani film industry would find a massive market for films in Iran as there were 45 high-tech studios available across Iran which were also used by Bollywood for the shootings of films.

Pakistan should sign contracts with Iranian film Industry: Syed Noor | The News Tribe

What about Pakistani documentaries? Documentaries relating to exploration, discovery, travel, culture, history, something interesting.

Yes in English and Urdu and be posted on Youtube

London Asian Film Festival: A big leap for Bol and Tamanna

LAHORE: Following the success of Saving Face, which earned an Oscar last month, the films Bol and the yet-to-be released Tamanna have started generating buzz as they have been shortlisted for the 14th London Asian Film Festival, set to place from the March 16 to 24.
The festival, over the years, has developed a reputation for focusing on films depicting the problems prevalent in Asian countries as well as highlighting the major works from Bollywood, Lollywood and Hollywood. This year’s festival will be attended by Bollywood stars including Abhishek Bachchan, Naseeruddin Shah, who will discuss at length the state of South Asian films.
The Pakistani film section will be headlined by a screening of Shoaib Mansoor’s Bol which will be followed by a question and answer session with the film’s lead actor Humaima Malick. Additionally, there will also be a documentary on behind-the-scenes of the film Tamanna which will discuss both the film and the Pakistani film industry.
Additionally, Pakistani singers Atif Aslam and Rahat Fateh Ali Khan have been shortlisted in the category of ‘The Best Music Talent’ for their songs “Bol” and “Koi Dil Mein” (from the movie Tamanna) respectively. Joining them in the same category is AR Rehman, who has been shortlisted for the soundtrack of Michael Winterbottom’s film Trishna.
Tamanna’s music director Sahir Ali claims that the festival has been important in promoting South Asian films and it’s a great achievement for Pakistani cinema and music that they are allowed to compete on a global stage. “Following the Oscars, this is a huge breakthrough for Pakistani music and cinema,” adds Ali.
While talking about working on Tamanna’s music, Ali says “We decided to work with the team because they were doing something new and original.” The musician also revealed that he recently released a new track for the film’s soundtrack “Allah hoo”.

London Asian Film Festival: A big leap for Bol and Tamanna – The Express Tribune

Revival of Cinema: 'Screening of Bollywood movies a temporary measure'​

ISLAMABAD: With major Pakistani productions few and far in between, screening of Indian movies in Pakistan have become a temporary guardian angel for the local cinema industry, Chairman Central Board of Film Censors (CBFC) said on Thursday.
“The decision to show Indian movie is only a temporary one and is taken to keep the cinemas functioning across the country while satisfactory steps are taken for the revival of local film industry,” said Barrister Shahnawaz Noon while talking to APP.
Pakistan’s film industry commonly known as “Lollywood” has been on a constant downward slide for the last 12 years, which has not only reduced the entertainment opportunities for movie lovers in the country but also caused losses to those associated with the profession.
Blaming previous government for neglecting the film industry, Noon said that the present government took all stakeholders on board and announced funds for various projects to revive and make it a competitive industry.
Besides funds for artists, technicians and other persons associated with film production, the government has approved the project of National Film Academy and Film Laboratory, establishment of four cinema houses in the federal capital, scholarships for studying subjects regarding film-making and reduction in additional taxes, he added.
The CBFC Chairman further said that the board comprising of old members was dissolved and new members were appointed to bring young talent forward, which will introduce new ideas for the benefit of the film industry in Pakistan.
He was of the view that Indian movies were screened only on temporary basis and the establishment of a film laboratory and funds announced by Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani would help improve the standard of Lollywood films within six months.
Commenting on Pakistani artists working in Indian movies, he said “apart from filmmakers, it is also the responsibility of our artists to make every effort for the revival of their own industry instead of leaving it.”

Revival of Cinema: ‘Screening of Bollywood movies a temporary measure’ – The Express Tribune

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom