What's new

US HR Watch urges Indian govt to probe killings along Bangladesh border

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Over 900 killed by Indian BSF in last decade

New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) has expressed its concern over the killing of people along Bangladesh-India border and urged both countries to take immediate steps for its resolution, reports UNB.

HRW in its report published on Thursday said it found numerous cases of indiscriminate use of force, arbitrary detention, torture, and killings by the security force, without adequate investigation or punishment.

The report, titled 'Trigger Happy: Excessive Use of Force by Indian Troops at the Bangladesh Border', said: "Since both Indians and Bangladeshis have fallen prey to this excessive use of force, both governments need to open a joint independent investigation to turn the situation around."

"The border force seems to be out of control, with orders to shoot any suspect," said Meenakshi Ganguly, South Asia Director at Human Rights Watch. "The border operations ignore the most basic rule of law, the presumption of innocence."

The report said India and Bangladesh should take immediate steps to end the killing of hundreds of their citizens at the West Bengal-Bangladesh border by India's Border Security Force (BSF). The Indian government should prosecute BSF soldiers responsible for serious human rights abuses, HRW said.

The 81-page report describes the situation on the border region, where both Bangladesh and India have deployed border guards to prevent infiltration, trafficking, and smuggling.

The report said many people routinely move back and forth across this frontier to visit relatives, buy supplies, and look for jobs as well as for both petty and serious crime.

The border forces are charged with intercepting illegal activities, especially narcotics smuggling, human trafficking for sex work, and transporting fake currency and explosives. They are also charged with restraining militants who are plotting violent attacks.

In many of the cases investigated by HRW, the victims were cattle rustlers, farmers or labourers hoping to supplement their meagre livelihood as couriers in the lucrative but illegal cattle trade that is rampant at the West Bengal border.

Alauddin Biswas, a border resident, described the killing of his nephew who was suspected of cattle rustling by border guards in March 2010.He said: "I went to see the body. It was lying 5 or 6 kilometers away from our house. There were police and politicians. We all saw that the BSF had shot him while he was lying on his back. They had shot him in the forehead and the bullet had pierced through and was lying a few inches inside the ground. If he was running away, he would have been shot in the back. They just killed him…"

Over 900 Bangladeshi nationals have been killed by the BSF over the last decade, many of them when they crossed into Indian territory for cattle-rustling or other smuggling activities.

"However, in several cases we also found that Bangladeshi nationals were injured or killed due to indiscriminate firing from across the border. For instance, 13-year-old Abdur Rakib was shot as he was grazing his buffaloes near the border when a soldier opened fire. Another boy, Mohammad Omar Faruq, age 15, was injured," the HRW report said.

"Residents complain that intimidation, verbal abuse, and beatings are common, with border guards, particularly the BSF, treating everyone as suspects," Ganguly said.

Friday, December 10, 2010
Front Page
BSF routinely kills on border
US-based rights body spurs Dhaka to protect its nationals

Diplomatic Correspondent

BSF routinely kills on border

Indian border security force (BSF) routinely gun down civilians crossing the border with Bangladesh despite negligible evidence of any crime, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said in a report released yesterday.

Over 900 Bangladeshi nationals have been killed by the BSF over the last decade, many of them when they crossed into Indian territory for cattle rustling or other smuggling activities.

However, in several cases “we also found that Bangladeshi nationals were injured or killed due to indiscriminate firing from across the border”, the report said.

HRW found no evidence in any death it documented that the person was engaged in any activity that would justify such an extreme response.

The rights body said the Bangladesh government should vigorously protect the right to life of its citizens, even those who may be involved in illegal trade, and should call upon the Indian government to exercise restraint.

The Indian government should prosecute BSF soldiers responsible for serious human rights abuses, the rights group said.

The 81-page report, “Trigger Happy: Excessive Use of Force by Indian Troops at the Bangladesh Border,” documents the situation on the border region, where both Bangladesh and India have deployed border guards to prevent infiltration, trafficking, and smuggling.

It said the BSF--responsible for guarding against extremists, drug and weapons smugglers and human traffickers--is instead using its muscle to detain, torture and kill with impunity, according to HRW, the New York-based rights group.

HRW found numerous cases of indiscriminate use of force, arbitrary detention, torture, and killings by the security force, without adequate investigation or punishment.

The report is based on over 100 interviews with victims, witnesses, human rights defenders, journalists, law-enforcement officials, and BSF and Bangladesh Rifles' (BDR) members, said a press release of the HRW.

The report said border officials are required to exercise restraint and “act in proportion to the seriousness of the offence.” It suggested India and Bangladesh should take immediate steps to end the killing of hundreds of their citizens at the West Bengal-Bangladesh border by BSF.

“The border force seems to be out of control, with orders to shoot any suspect,” said Meenakshi Ganguly, South Asia Director at HRW. "The border operations ignore the most basic rule of law, the presumption of innocence."

HRW said since both Indians and Bangladeshis have fallen prey to this excessive use of force, both governments need to open a joint independent investigation to turn the situation around.

“Human Rights Watch has repeatedly called upon the Indian government to prosecute those responsible for human rights violations instead of letting its security forces get away with murder,” Ganguly said. “The BSF insists that there are internal investigations, but why then is it so unwilling to reveal whether anyone has been punished for these killings.”

I want to hear indian side of this story. Let me guess, propoganda fuelled by bnp and ISI? And I won't be surprised if you defend them either.

I want to hear indian side of this story. Let me guess, propoganda fuelled by bnp and ISI? And I won't be surprised if you defend them either.

900 in a decade - that's roughly 1 in 4 days which I wouldn't call 'indiscriminate killing' by any standard.

And you should criticize your past government for that for allowing illegal immigration & on many occasions terrorists too. A flag was raised when it was discovered that Asam had like 40% Muslim population - most of them not belonging to India originally. Most of them still are illegal BD immigrants. Khaleda Zia's affection towards ULFA & other Pakistan based terrorist organizations is well known.

As a result, BSF had been given a shoot-at-sight order which is still in effect. They only shoot when you are well within their boundaries for whatever reasons. BD citizens should only use legal means to cross the border. US HR Watch very conveniently ignored all the aspects of the game. These guys are nowhere to be seen when a terrorist actually infiltrates & kills hundreds.

900 in a decade - that's roughly 1 in 4 days which I wouldn't call 'indiscriminate killing' by any standard.

And you should criticize your past government for that for allowing illegal immigration & on many occasions terrorists too. A flag was raised when it was discovered that Asam had like 40% Muslim population - most of them not belonging to India originally. Most of them still are illegal BD immigrants. Khaleda Zia's affection towards ULFA & other Pakistan based terrorist organizations is well known.

As a result, BSF had been given a shoot-at-sight order which is still in effect. They only shoot when you are well within their boundaries for whatever reasons. BD citizens should only use legal means to cross the border. US HR Watch very conveniently ignored all the aspects of the game. These guys are nowhere to be seen when a terrorist actually infiltrates & kills hundreds.

So killing 1 in 4 days is fine? you think muslim terrorists has killed more than 900 in a decade in india?

So killing 1 in 4 days is fine? you think muslim terrorists has killed more than 900 in a decade in india?

What is Muslim terrorists doing here? How many people BDR killed in last two years?

US HR Watch didn't just urges to Indian govt to probe killings along Bangladesh border but BD govt as well!

I never said killing even one is fine. The question is not how many - but why.

As I explained above, I would like you to introspect why BSF has shoot at sight orders on the borders. We have our share of problems arising from infiltration/immigration from BD. The BSF guard on duty has orders he has to follow, because he is the one who will be held accountable if someone actually infiltrates & does something destructive.

Has anyone from BD side thought why the citizens choose illegal means to cross the border? Because if you read the report carefully, HRW agrees that BD citizens were using illegal means to cross over. Just they think shooting at them is too harsh which obviously is a flawed assumption to make considering all the aspects.

No Indians are not as fool like you. We know which one is truth and which one coming out of BNP mouthpiece and AL mouthpiece. And why did you mentioned ISI? Just to make some fun?

There is nothing on that report that hasn't been discussed in this forum.

Conclusions of those fruitful discussions are, Bangladesh is a Banana Republic and India needs more toilets.

There is nothing on that report that hasn't been discussed in this forum.

Conclusions of those fruitful discussions are, Bangladesh is a Banana Republic and India needs more toilets.

Do you have one in your home? :lol: It seems not! :no:

Its funny that you are from BD and talking about India. Don't you think that is shameful for you?

Last edited:

indians trying to justify BSF killings is nothing new. I wonder how far these shameless so called indian nationalists would go in justifying rape, murder etc. :hitwall: :hitwall:

Btw, how is having a large percentage of muslim population something "bad"? Why don't you stop labeling all your muslims Pakistanis and Bangladeshis!

Its funny that you are from BD and talking about India. Don't you think that is shameful for you?

I grew up in Dhaka, toilets were never an issue fro me. I moved to the USA in 1991. Ever since than, toiltes never backed up on me. In many instances I had people/relatives visitng me. Its maybe I am the lucky one,or thats how things work in the US.

cmon now, we have all seen slumdog millionaire. We all know pretty much how life works there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom