What's new

What are the similarities/differences of Bengali peoples in Bangladesh vs India

Trying so hard to get some thanks from Indian "mates"! :D Almost fell of my chair seeing the effort you put into highlighting parts of your own quote! :lol:

@bongbang Biharis / non-Bengali Muslims have always been of dubious loyalty!

He is originally from Kolkata.

Had a busy day, and an intriguing evening. Wow 10 pages already. @Maira La thanks for tagging.. seems like I have lot to cover here. I hope, by now lot of people have covered the similarities and differences by now. So I'll put myself in QNA mode.. Ask me anything!

On a different note, you guys should try watching this TV series, "I dream of Jeannie". Old one, 60s probably, one of my favorites. I think I'm going to watch a few episodes now.

Indian Bengalis are very religious, just look at the number of pujo celebration we have, however we have been taught not to wear our religion up our sleeves and there are multiple paths leading to the same source.

:crazy:

Eto dhong kore bolen keno? Puja hobe , Pujo na.

The joy of living in NYC, i can always go to Jackson Heights and buy fish to my hearts content!! In fact I get far better quality Ilish here than i used to get in kolkata.
Most of fish in my house comes out of Korean/Asian stores and then my wife has her own pick of chinese/vietnamese/cambodian fish that shew grew up eating. My problem is I never really bought fish back home in India, so I can't identify a katla maach to save my life. and then there are all the other asian names and common names to put together. The only fish I can identify and buy are the butter fish/ Indian Pomfret / and the pompano that passes as the pomfret.

safe bets for me remain Cod/tillapia/yft/salmon. I should be a little more adventurous.

Most of fish in my house comes out of Korean/Asian stores and then my wife has her own pick of chinese/vietnamese/cambodian fish that shew grew up eating. My problem is I never really bought fish back home in India, so I can't identify a katla maach to save my life. and then there are all the other asian names and common names to put together. The only fish I can identify and buy are the butter fish/ Indian Pomfret / and the pompano that passes as the pomfret.

safe bets for me remain Cod/tillapia/yft/salmon. I should be a little more adventurous.

try "Red snapper" from the Chinese mart's from the fresh fish stand inside ,ask them to clean it , cleaning charges are usually a $1 or 2 , you will love it oke adha bheje tomato , zeera are aloo er jholer tarkari banao really tasty or simply adha bheje dopyaza bana te paro both are good

Eto dhang kare balen keno? Pujo habe, puja na.

Here in BD Hindus don't say Durga PujO. They say Durga PujA.

Apnara beshi dhong kore kotha bolen. Style maren beshi. 8-)

Well, OBVIOUSLY Bangladeshi cooking is better. It has more mustard oil, more green chillies, and NO sugar not even in chholar dal, AFAIK.

You need to come down to Calcutta and taste both styles; both are available here, only Bangladeshi is available in Dhaka.
I'd love to visit Calcutta one day, but I think I'll pass on the food. :sick:

Not months, weeks may be! Still they are pretty good, I think better quality fishes are reserved for expert market.
That is correct, at least for the store I worked for. They only seek the top quality fish for order and try to only keep it in for about a month at most in the freezer. You live in NYC to? Curious question, as an Indian Bengali do you choose to live around other Indian Bengalis in your area or just the Indian populace in general?

I'd love to visit Calcutta one day, but I think I'll pass on the food. :sick:

That is correct, at least for the store I worked for. They only seek the top quality fish for order and try to only keep it in for about a month at most in the freezer. You live in NYC to? Curious question, as an Indian Bengali do you choose to live around other Indian Bengalis in your area or just the Indian populace in general?

Indian Bengalis are not concentrated to any place like gujratis or bangladeshis. I stay in newport, jersey city since its near to where I work. Its mostly indian, chinese, white neighborhood.

In every thread like this, there turns up a jingoistic fool.

I am glad you have stood up, been recognised, and that we can now go back to discussion.

I think you couldnt grasp the meaning of my post. Lets clear myself.

While West Bengal's symbol of transportation is: Hand pulled Rickshaws, Ambassador Taxis, Trum
There Bangladesh's symbol is: Cycle Rickshaw
So there are some differences between the two people relating this lifestyle.

While West Bengal was created on the basis of religion, Bangladesh was created on the basis of nationalism.
So Durga is the symbol of joy and unity of West Bengal. Bangladeshis also do their respective religious tasks but their national pride and symbol is Shaheed Minar, Sriti Shoudho, Pohela Boishakh.

The op also strike me by calling us Bengalis non martial race which was imposed on us by the British.
So I showed the pics that we reclaimed our martial status back. While the West Bengalis couldnt. Now some West Bengalis can say stuffs like they are better integrated in other units of IA but my point is the Bengal force which was scrapped by the British, independent India never revoked that decision. Yes Bangladeshis are proud on this that they operate their own independent ethnic Army and Indian Bengali mindset is different that whole IA is theirs.

difference with bangladeshi and west bengali is that i wear a dhoti...and this @bongbang wears a lungi....:enjoy:

I had only wear Lungi once or twice. Its a thing of working class, older generation and Villege comfort. While Dhoti is used in festivals like puja and Hindu weddings. Bangladeshis wear panjabi pajama in namaj and Muslim weddings.

bangladeshies i have met are clear & proud about there relgeon and indian bongolies are confused about it

You are confused, it seems. They are very conscious of their religious identity.
Bangladeshi readers read all the writers, dont judge by one's religious identity. They judge its readable or not.
While west Bnegal readers dont like to read Muslim Bengali stuffs. When they see Muslim terms like Amma, Fupu, Namaj strange reaction strikes them.. Its confirmed by one of their writer Samaresh Mojumder, that compared to Bangladeshi readers West Bengali readers are much more fundamentalist.

“আমাদের বই যখন বাংলাদেশের পাঠকরা হাতে পান, তখন তারা বিচার করেন না- এটা কোন ধর্মের লেখক। তারা বিচার করেন এটা পাঠযোগ্য কিনা, কাহিনী তার ভালো লাগছে কি না, কিংবা পড়তে তার আরাম লাগছে কি না। কিন্তু বাংলাদেশের লেখকদের বই আমাদের পশ্চিমবঙ্গের হিন্দু পাঠকরা আম্মা, ফুপা, নামাজ এইশব্দগুলো যখন দেখতে পায়- তখন তাদের মধ্যে একটা অদ্ভুত প্রতিক্রিয়া তৈরি হয়। এবং এই প্রতিক্রিয়ার কারণেই বাংলাদেশের অনেক লেখকের বই এখানকার পাঠকদের কাছে পৌঁছে না। আমি পরিষ্কার করে বলছি, বাংলাদেশের পাঠকদের তুলনায় পশ্চিমবঙ্গের হিন্দু পাঠকরা অনেক বেশি মৌলবাদী।" সমরেশ মজুমদার

1.Yep, that explains the current difference graphically.
2. There are differences in shade / marginally in all communities/nations/races/linguistic groups. So are here among us in BD, WB, Eastern Bihar and NE. But geography, common history and historical experience, complimentary economies, logistics and infrastructures of communication and trade have made us one people for millenniums. Once the Brahimic/ Big Biz hold over Delhi weakens we will emerge free as one.

Which hurt me more is Murshidabad and Malda isnt within our boundary. WTF. Whole Bengal should come under our flag based on Bengali secularism agenda. But by Muslim Bengali agenda Malda and Murshidabad are our legitimate area by long sttlements and structures.

19sena.jpg
to a person who knows nothing about India, this looks like poster of gay underground party, even got cupid's arrow. :p:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom