What's new

Who declared Bangla freedom? Mujib or Ziaur

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Who declared Bangla freedom? Mujib or Ziaur

Who declared Bangla freedom? Mujib or Ziaur - The Times of India

Anuradha Sharma, TNN | Dec 11, 2011, 05.54AM IST
Article

Bangladesh was born 40 years ago, but there's a lingering debate that continues to this day with no convincing answer. Who was it exactly that declared the country free? Sheikh Mujibur Rahman or Ziaur Rahman?

The answer still divides Bangladeshis, largely on political lines. The Awami League, and also the official line, holds that Mujibur declared independence first before he was arrested on March 26, 1971. This day is celebrated as Bangladesh's Independence Day. The Opposition, Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), insists it was Ziaur, former president and BNP founder, who proclaimed independence first on March 27.

On the night of March 25, the Pakistan army launched an offensive in Dhaka and arrested Mujibur in the wee hours of the next day, but not before he had reportedly signed on an "official freedom declaration" on March 26.

On March 27 and 28, it was Ziaur's voice that people heard on the radio, announcing: "This is Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendro. I, Major Ziaur Rahman, at the direction of Bangobondhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, hereby declare that the independent People's Republic of Bangladesh has been established. At his direction, I have taken command as the temporary head of the republic. In the name of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, I call upon all Bengalis to rise against the attack by the West Pakistani army. We shall fight to the last to free our motherland."

BNP leader Moudud Ahmed, former prime minister and vice-president of Bangladesh, says, "I was at a tea garden in Sylhet when I heard Major Zia's voice. Everybody heard him. Nobody heard Sheikh Mujib."

To that, Awami League leader Abdul Matin Khasru retorts: "The controversy is just their (BNP) creation. This issue has already been settled in the Supreme Court. Sheikh Mujib was a national leader and had made the official declaration on March 26. Ziaur was just a major in the army, not a leader (of a position to make such declarations). He never made such claims either. It is only after his death (in 1981) that the BNP raked up the issue."

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who is Mujib's daughter, and opposition leader Khaleda Zia, who is Ziaur Rahman's widow, have kept the debate alive.

What is undeniable, though, is that the radio announcement was a clarion call to the shell-shocked nation to stand up against West Pakistan's might, their resistance culminating in the birth of Bangladesh on December 16, 1971.

It was not the declaration but the Operation Search light marks the declaration of Independence of Bangladesh. I think its Yahiya who decalred the independence of Bangladesh in the early hour of March 26.

Later on different people from different part of Bangladesh including Mujib, Zia, M A Hannan and also some other who pronounced independence on behalf of Mujib. Specific declaration had no real value as the war already started. Declaration or no Declaration we celebrate 26th March as the Independence day.

To me the answer is Ziaur rahman on behalf of Shaikh Mujibor Rahman. Unless a public declaration has been made to me it is not a declaration. It is true that Ziaur Rahman did not have the authority to declare independence but when he have done it on behalf of Shaikh mujib on his recommendation then Ziaur rahman should be called the person who declared independence on behalf of Shaikh mujib. We can also see that on his declaration...

"This is Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendro. I, Major Ziaur Rahman, at the direction of Bangobondhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, hereby declare that the independent People's Republic of Bangladesh has been established. At his direction, I have taken command as the temporary head of the republic. In the name of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, I call upon all Bengalis to rise against the attack by the West Pakistani army. We shall fight to the last to free our motherland."

Kya fark padta hai who declare azadi

Realty is Bangladesh is a country with beautiful people and there old culture.

Just think of contributing in the devlopment of south asia.

One thing I would like to ask my Bangladeshi freinds is sandesh misti is famous in Bangladesh as like in Kolkata ?

Specifically declared Gen. Zia . Mujib has no chance to declare , he surrender to Pakistani Army .

To me the answer is Ziaur rahman on behalf of Shaikh Mujibor Rahman. Unless a public declaration has been made to me it is not a declaration. It is true that Ziaur Rahman did not have the authority to declare independence but when he have done it on behalf of Shaikh mujib on his recommendation then Ziaur rahman should be called the person who declared independence on behalf of Shaikh mujib. We can also see that on his declaration...

I said nobody declared anything not before 27th of March. So even anybody who shoot a single first bulllet after the operation search is the real declarer. We could name a thousands in the night of March 25th, Rajarbag police line, Azimpur PhilKhana EPR and every other Military barracs all over the country, and unnamed civilians who put barricade all over Dhaka in the night of 25th March and unnamed people who resisted PK military all over the country are the real declarer of War. Nobody waited for any late declaration from anybody.

I dont want to give credit to anybody and make a single God like figure who actually never participated in war and laid their life. Never even wounded or never even participated in any encounter.

Just get over with this declaration bullcrap.

The war of independence was fought by the general people, so i would agree with Iajdani that no specific person should be credited with the declaration of independence. Independence was declared by every bengali who revolted against the troops.

Bangladeshi people declared freedom, without them Mujib or Zia would not be household names

He is the one. The greatest Bangladeshi leader since the separation. The one and only Zia-ur-Rehman.

images

i thought it was INDIA who declare it :) hehehehe

Bangladeshi people declared freedom, without them Mujib or Zia would not be household names

My grandfather was the first to raise Bangladeshi flag in his region in Noakhali!

[Wishful Thinking] If I'm voted to power, I promise I'll occasionally halt all developmental activities in Noakhali to refocus all resources on building monuments in his name. All local public infrastructure shall bear his name, and any bridge/road/hospital not named in his honor shall either be demolished or renamed. [/Wishful Thinking]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom