What's new

Who on earth said PAF will get only single engine fighters?

Riaz Hussain

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
It's time to bury this Urban legend once and for all!

I have been running over old news reports and interviews, but i couldn't find a single source which said 'this & this' air chief said PAF only prefers single engine fighters for 'this & this' reason. I couldn't even find any similar words to find a context of the statement. PAF has already operated twin engine fighters before(J-6). I see no reason why PAF could not operate the J-11b if we agree to Chinese soft loans, which they will gladly give. It makes absolutely no sense going for J-10b which is similar in capabilities to JF-17 and F-16, and add one more type of fighter in the same class!! China is smart and not inducting JF-17 for precisely this reason because it is almost similar to J-10, only slightly less capable.. but some of our country men defy this Chinese logic and think adding J-10b is more preferable than J-11b. This single engine thing is really costing PAF getting small fighters will limited capabilities.

In any case, lets bury this single engine nonsense once and for all, since there are no record of any PAF chief saying that, and even if did the context has changed considerably with new threats staring at PAF's face.

I have been running over old news reports and interviews, but i couldn't find a single source which said 'this & this' air chief said PAF only prefers single engine fighters for 'this & this' reason. I couldn't even find any similar words to find a context of the statement. PAF has already operated twin engine fighters before(J-6). I see no reason why PAF could not operate the J-11b if we agree to Chinese soft loans, which they will gladly give. It makes absolutely no sense going for J-10b which is similar in capabilities to JF-17 and F-16, and add one more type of fighter in the same class!! China is smart and not inducting JF-17 for precisely this reason because it is almost similar to J-10, only slightly less capable.. but some of our country men defy this Chinese logic and think adding J-10b is more preferable than J-11b. This single engine thing is really costing PAF getting small fighters will limited capabilities.

In any case, lets bury this single engine nonsense once and for all, since there are no record of any PAF chief saying that, and even if did the context has changed considerably with new threats staring at PAF's face.

It is not matter of doctrine , it is matter of money . Double engined plane's operating cost is more than single engined plane .
If in near future PAF got suffiicient fund then they procure double engine plane definitely.

single engine = easy to operate lesss $$$
double engine=more$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Adding more $ symbols doesnt make a point valid. How much cost difference is there between single and double engine anyway? probably around 1.5 times. That's pretty affordable! When poor African countries can afford Su-30s, Pakistan with a half a trillion GDP very well can afford to maintain it.

Okay, @Riaz Hussain has burried this urban legend. Ab sab milke mitti dalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
"
I see no reason why PAF could not operate the J-11b if we agree to Chinese soft loans, which they will gladly give.
"

This is being too confident. You guys assume that Chinas will extend loans (soft, hard or erected) to you like candies. This becomes basis of whole dream. Suggest test this hypotehsis before building air castle.

Then give proof when has the Chinese refused us soft loans for our defense purchases.

Twin engine and in PAF colours right here.

6772.jpg

O bhai khazana pehlay he khali hai :P...defence budget hardly enables us to buy/produce the jets easy to maintain,what will dual engine jets bring special to our capability? increased endurance and range? deep strike capability? now we have a small area to defend unlike most of the countries operating dual engine jets,and at the last PAF is doing it's best to increase the endurance of it's jets in air by installing mid air refeuling capability in most of the aircrafts including jf 17 thunder...

SO..... yep not operating dual engine jets is not like a rule we must obey but the fact is that we dont need them considering the output/cost ratio!

This maybe not an good thread for most of members here. But I think this is one of the good threads to debate. Pakistan Air force even if is not inducting 2 jet engines today. But has been getting full training to reserved pilots and some veteran's by simulators and Saudi and Chinese twin jet engines fighters like f 15 and j 11(SU 27). Because PAF is fully sure that in case of conflict will buy / lease fighter jets from specially china and SA. There is no issue of Bucks. since Malaysia, Indonesia and African's are buying sukhoi's without any issue. indeed in small numbers but they do buy them.

From the beginning I have stated many times that we don't need j10's anymore due to jf17 and f16 with equivalent avionics and role. apart from payload they are the same.

It is been claimed by many members here that jf17 is just to replace mirages and f7 aging fleets. it does not in any sense means that they are just new jets with nothing new. its like saying F35 replacing f16 which means f35 radar is 30 to 40% more good. but in reality f35 radar and avionics are 200% better. Replace word needs to be taken very seriously.

JF 17 is very potent aircraft.

My friends Buying twin seat fighter does not bring a huge expense gap b/w single and twin fighter jets there is a quarter only diffference. Which PAF can handle if by 36-40 of them instead of j10.

furthermore I am pretty sure that PAF will lease f15 from SA and j11,j16 or other from china in case of war that is obvious.

PAF don't need twine engine....

Maintenance cost is too high....its batter to replace old aging [2nd, 3rd generation] aircrafts with 4th generation single engine aircrafts first.

We dont have enough $$$ in our pockets......its ridiculous to think for 2 engine 4th+ generation aircraft.

Then give proof when has the Chinese refused us soft loans for our defense purchases.

My dear Riaz, you sure are young.

Everything has a price and one has to pay the price. As a civilian you are used to slogans to boost confidence, but beind curtain, negotiatiaons happens, hard, very hard negotiation. Hard Cash means you have to quench the hard erections of the person paying you the hard cash. They will have their fcuk. This is the rule.

I am not sure but i think it was Armstrong :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom