What's new

Who will be Pakistan Army's Next chief?

:) agreed with you. Another analyst says that Nadeem Taj though had a good career but he is not made for the post as he can be a good for clerical work (means in the office) but dont know much about strategy
He is considered too close to Gen Musharraf so i doubt PPP will give him that position.

you're more of an all-rounder though. Especially in AF related matters.

I wasnt sure who was more senior though, you gentlemen can work it out on your own terms :D

give me VIP access to PAF base Peshawar and i'll be most content :)

:pakistan:

Dont worry, you can be our CGS ;)

Ok, now seriously, we have shortlisted the names now so the picture is quite clear as who would be the next COAS. Also dont forget the extension factor, so yes what are your guesses? Reasons would also be appreciated, i have already given my guess.

I think Gen Kayani is going to get an extension. If not, then Gen Khalid Shamim Wayee is the next COAS. He has been picked up as the CGS for that very reason. Plus his repute is very much professional.

☪☪☪☪;908697 said:
He is considered too close to Gen Musharraf so i doubt PPP will give him that position.

Agree he is too close to Mush..
Not agree in some extent to the later part....

I think Gen Kayani is going to get an extension. If not, then Gen Khalid Shamim Wayee is the next COAS. He has been picked up as the CGS for that very reason. Plus his repute is very much professional.

Gen..Kayani will not get it....
Gen..Khalid also have a good chance too..

:) agreed with you. Another analyst says that Nadeem Taj though had a good career but he is not made for the post as he can be a good for clerical work (means in the office) but dont know much about strategy

Jana,

This is something that goes on in all armies. People have opinions about who is a great strategist, a great tactician or a great field officer or a great staff officer but in the end its a matter of who is in the right place at the right time.

In contrast to the state of our Army in the 60s and 70s, the Army high command overall is much more experienced (on average about 35 years worth of experience by the time they get close to the post of a 4 star) and better trained than ever before. Anyone of the officers who are in the running will be good officers. I just hope the best officer is picked and recommended by the incumbent chief and the political leadership pays heed to this advice.

I have read all the threads below if u see the latest list of pak army seniority at wikipedia senior most lt gen would be lt.gen sikander afzal whos on extension as far as i confirmed with some senior officers they say there is no hard and fast rule over generals with ext not considered for Coas or cjsc . Plz guys chk on ur own and post back thanks

Jana,

This is something that goes on in all armies. People have opinions about who is a great strategist, a great tactician or a great field officer or a great staff officer but in the end its a matter of who is in the right place at the right time.

In contrast to the state of our Army in the 60s and 70s, the Army high command overall is much more experienced (on average about 35 years worth of experience by the time they get close to the post of a 4 star) and better trained than ever before. Anyone of the officers who are in the running will be good officers. I just hope the best officer is picked and recommended by the incumbent chief and the political leadership pays heed to this advice.

yes indeed but with the removal of gen. mcchrystal by the US in mid-stream, would this precedent change the 'mind-set' of the GoP with regards to giving the present CoAS an extension or retiring him in 'mid-stream' - just food for thought!!!

Lieutenant General Sikander Afzal
fcnew1.jpg

Lt.-Gen. Sikander Afzal is the most senior officer at this moment who can succeed the current COAS. He was born on 03 March 1952 in Lahore, Pakistan. Until his current appointment as Force Commander of UNMIL, he was Corps Commander of an elite Corp at Multan. Prior to his present appointment, he served in UNISOM II (UN Mission in Somalia) as the Quick Reaction Force (QRF) Commander.

Lt.-Gen. Afzal joined the Pakistan Army in 1972. He is a graduate of Punjab and Baluchistan universities with a Bachelor of Arts and Science (Honours) degree. He later earned Master of Science Degree in Defence and Strategic Studies from Quad-i-Azam University. He is also a graduate of Pakistan Army Command and Staff College and Pakistan National Defence College.Lt.-Gen. Afzal has had a distinguished military career in the Pakistan Army. He served in numerous commands, instructional and important assignments at home and abroad. He has commanded an Armoured Brigade and an Infantry Brigade, two Infantry Divisions and served as the Director-General for Strategic Analysis in the country's Inter-Services Intelligence. Since 2006 had been serving as Corps Commander of a Corps at Multan with responsibility for more than 30,000 military personnel prior to his UNMIL post.

Last edited:
Lt Gen Khalid Shameem Wynne meeting The Runaway General
Khalid_Wynne.JPG

this has some relevance to the topic:

HOW :

General kiyani will be the new COAS .
We cannot trust General Kiyani, because contrary to the popular beleive, he is too much pro american.
We , pakistanis, do not need blind pro americans.
Moderator, please be rational. see the videos till end and you will surely find complete history of alst 10 years.

the four parts of "why general kiyani cannot be trusted" is actually time line study of military tactics in pakistan since 2001 to 2009. Its information saturated. Kindly do not delete the link. It contains information which is hard to digest, but it never came on TV.

thanks.

ps: i am a pro islamist, and then a pro pakistani and then a pro pak army.

Back
Top Bottom