What's new

Why does Pakistan Army use G3

What about latest POF PK 8 i think is it usefule in siachin type area as G3 is'nt a good choice for this type of temprature any body can guide me.....
Regards

The g3 was described as "dated" on the documentary we are soldiers aired today, mainly because of its heavy weight, powerful recoil, size and range compared to more modern assault rifles. One anonymous soldier went as far as saying that it didnt perform well at all in cold conditions and that it was more suited for hot terrains. Well I have to agree with the point that the g3 wont be going anywhere soon. If it was to [unlikely] then, the heckler and koch 416 would be an excellent replacement. Spotted it on the american delta force soldiers in Iraq. Its fires 100 rounds/min more than the g3, smaller in length than the g3 by approx 22.8cm and it also weighs less by approx 1.4kg so its much easier to handle.

Regardless, the g3 has served well and will continue to serve well with pak fauj.

i'll be keeping my comments reserved on G3's performance at high altitude or in deserts etc etc. Though guesses are welcomed:pop:

Well apparently a Kargil veteran relates that his G-3 jammed every 5 to 6 shots, which is horrible! I had expected better from the G-3, but never having tested the weapon at sub-zero temperatures myself, I can only make an educated guess. The G-3 is only marginally more complex than an Type-56 which would suggest reliability, if not performance, in extreme conditions. But apparently the 'anonymous' Kargil veteran in the Dawn News 'We Are Soldiers' show has seen otherwise...

I would like to correct you that the standard 7.62x51mm round does not defeat a certified Level III insert.

The Ball Ammo does not penetrate level III insert but Armor piercing ammo does. Machine gunners are usually given AP ammo.

Besides armor used by south asian forces do not have side inserts and i doubt indians use Level IV inserts.

To others:
The main problem that we have ignored while discussing here is that shoot to injure doctrine is outdated.Nowadays modern forces employ body armor and 5.56 will just not cut it. We should stick look for rifles HK-417(not 416) and FN SCAR-H.The problem is that they will be expensive and i doubt that FN will give us TOT. The alternative can be 7.62x39 used by a rifle more accurate then AK-47.

Even the captain from Sindh regiment on DAWN documentary said that the primary reason for still using G-3 is our shoot to kill doctrine.

The Ball Ammo does not penetrate level III insert but Armor piercing ammo does. Machine gunners are usually given AP ammo.

7.62x51mm AP round is going to be NIJ Level IV.
We've been manufacturing body armor since 1997 and for the Pakistan Army Level III testing we use POF ammo and the good old G3.

Well apparently a Kargil veteran relates that his G-3 jammed every 5 to 6 shots, which is horrible! I had expected better from the G-3, but never having tested the weapon at sub-zero temperatures myself, I can only make an educated guess. The G-3 is only marginally more complex than an Type-56 which would suggest reliability, if not performance, in extreme conditions. But apparently the 'anonymous' Kargil veteran in the Dawn News 'We Are Soldiers' show has seen otherwise...

Well that vet may have had poor weapon discipline. It was used in sweden/norway for many years so the cold excuse is not valid. Alternatively it may have been a incorrect oil choice for the temps used.

7.62x51mm AP round is going to be NIJ Level IV.

Well, i knew that and this is why i said that 7.62X51 AP can penetrate level III.

Any chance of seeing side plates in the future for PA or Level IV inserts?

Thanks

saudi forces use G3, so desert should not cause problems

To the gentlemen discussing level 4 inserts. Have You considered the weight of these plates? It would make moving in the field a lot harder and hotter. You have to strike a balance between protection and mobility.

Last edited:
To the gentlemen discussing level 4 inserts. Have You considered the weight of these plates? It would make moving in the filed a lot harder and hotter. You have to strike a balance between protection and mobility.

Yes, this is a problem and this is why US will use these in Afghanistan:
Army stops shipment of lighter gear to field - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times

But i wanted to know that what are the chances of fielding Level IV as we have seen that the Improved outer tactical vest used provides level IV protection(Plate+ Soft armor) but it weighs 30 pounds.

I have kept the body armor discussion current and can answer any questions forum members have.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/weapons-club/14129-body-armour.html

Level IV for mass Army induction is not logical. We even have Level III and Level IV ceramic upgrades for helmets. I was not for the current vest design but you have to go with what is decided. Shoulder velcro fasteners will wear out eventually. Overall coverage needs to be increased slightly with quick release.

Current configuration with Level IV inserts can be done with a total weight of 18.5 lbs. Extended deltoid protection is needed more than Level IV inserts.

Current Level III HPPE inserts are the lightest in the market and Level IV will need ceramic inserts. Once again, would be more than happy to answer any questions in the body armor thread.

Last edited:
some of the best combat rifles in this video and the history of AK 47 why it's the best killing machine sofar..enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom