What's new

Is India surpassing China in Asia's space race?

indians who says china is ahead are fools. chinese space got help from russia. they gave them manned mission blue print for few billion dollars. while ISRO is hard working space agency. indias reach is upto mars by the hard work of ISRO. did china went till mars? they only ahead in manned mission due to alcoholic russians who sold them blue print.

most people here are being realistic, in most areas of space china is indeed ahead, even the mars mission which is great of course, but that mission, in and of itself, does not have anything in it that china could not do, the payload was not super high tech, the rocket was not some heavy lift that china does not have, there isnt going to be a landing. the thing is, the chinese space program is very methodological, it does not yet call for small missions to mars, the failed mission that piggybacked on a russian rocket was because it was cheap and available, an opportunity that didnt pan out. currently china is working on the moon and space stations, once those goals are reach it will look towards planetary mission, this shows even on its logo whereby the three rings represent the three stages of exploration, first being LEO which has been mastered, the second ring is in bold because thats where china is, lunar missions, and the third ring which it has yet to do is interplanetary missions.

Satellites launched based on the bus.
Spacecraft: Platforms

China's most advanced bus - DFH4.
DFH-4 BUS --- Communications Satellite --- In-Orbit Delivery --- CGWIC
ISRO's most advanced bus - I3k
http://www.antrix.gov.in/I-3K.pdf
12 ku, 24 C and 12 Extended C band transponders.

Check the latest imaging satellite launched by China and compare it with India's best. There was a thread not long ago. They are ahead.

I can't see Indian satellites to be better than Chinese ones.

Thanks dude.

How many transponders DFH-4 carries? So according to you if satellite bus is the way of comparison than sorry. Every country has equivalent. ISRO's satellites can easily carry more advanced payloads.

Whats China's comparison on GSAT-6, GSAT-7 and GAGAN? Whats China's highest resolution of optical and radar satellites? What is China's take on S-DMB satellite?

As I said China is ahead of India in many cases but in some cases India is ahead.

Last edited:
Anything significant happens with the country, the people and medias start the comparing with others, rather than thinking of how to improve the sector further.

Third world mindset.

I'd say China is ahead for now. Whether it stays like that for decades to comes is up to them.
Private companies might surpass all in the end

elon-spacex-mars-featured-1024x430.jpg

Not always the strong nor always the weak.

If Indian can learn and work hard with modesty and determination.You can achieve that.

There are more and more problems with China at present,so President Xi JinPing and Premier Li KeQiang have to take a new round reformation in economic,politics and military,such as establishing several free trade area,taking a 4.0 industrial project,carrying out the reform of "Rule of Law",fighting against corruption and improving the armies' battle effectiveness.

If India can take more cooperation with China,we can help each other to achieve more success as developing countries.
But there are tons of suspicions and misunderstanding.
Abe try his best to take conference with President Xi although China and Japan have many conflicts.Modiji refused to take part in APEC.This is worth thinking about.:what:
Can any Indian friends tell me the reasons?

Not always the strong nor always the weak.

If Indian can learn and work hard with modesty and determination.You can achieve that.

There are more and more problems with China at present,so President Xi JinPing and Premier Li KeQiang have to take a new round reformation in economic,politics and military,such as establishing several free trade area,taking a 4.0 industrial project,carrying out the reform of "Rule of Law",fighting against corruption and improving the armies' battle effectiveness.

If India can take more cooperation with China,we can help each other to achieve more success as developing countries.
But there are tons of suspicions and misunderstanding.
Abe try his best to take conference with President Xi although China and Japan have many conflicts.Modiji refused to take part in APEC.This is worth thinking about.:what:

The national issues in China are on going processes. They also happen in every other country in one way or another. China's space targets are independent of these. We will not stop carrying out our missions next just because of the national issues :pop:

India is not a Pacific rim country so they should not be involved in the first place
What is there for Indians to contribute? 8-)

How many transponders DFH-4 carries? So according to you if satellite bus is the way of comparison than sorry. Every country has equivalent. ISRO's satellites can easily carry more advanced payloads.
DFH-4 carry same number of transponders with greater frequency range, more payload, and more power. Go through the links I posted above.

Whats China's comparison on GSAT-6, GSAT-7 and GAGAN? Whats China's highest resolution of optical and radar satellites? What is China's take on S-DMB satellite?
China's latest imaging satellite had less than 80 cm resolution with 3 different spectrum including visible. No comparable Indian satellite. Gagan is GPS dependent. China has its own working regional satellite navigation system for years now, and they are already expanding it to global level. I won't comment on DMB, they have the tech as I posted before but having working satellites depends on policy. They have T-DMB service over limited area that is listed in wiki. I think same is true for India. Tech wise, Chinese satellites can use upto ka, while GSAT 16 is limited upto ku. A comparable sat to GSAT-16:
ChinaSat 11 was launched on May 2, 2013 onboard a Chinese LM-3B launch vehicle. It provides commercial communications services with 45 C-band and Ku-band transponders. ChinaSat 11 is designed to serve the demands of satellite communication, broadcasting, data distribution and digital broadband multimedia services in Asia-pacific regions.

As I said China is ahead of India in many cases but in some cases India is ahead.
Apart from one Mars mission, which China showed not much interest in, show me.

India has requested membership in APEC, and received initial support from the United States, Japan[8] and Australia. Officials have decided not to allow India to join for various reasons.[9][10] However, the decision was made not to admit more members until 2010. Moreover, India does not border the Pacific Ocean, which all current members do.[11] However, India was invited to be an observer for the first time in November 2011.[12]

Last edited:
DFH-4 carry same number of transponders with greater frequency range, more payload, and more power. Go through the links I posted above.

If the transponders are same than rests are its inefficiency ISRO also worked on large no of multi frequency sats,, see GSAT-7.

China's latest imaging satellite had less than 80 cm resolution with 3 different spectrum including visible. No comparable Indian satellite.
India achieved 80 cm long time back check it, example CARTOSAT-2 launched in Jan 2007. Multi spectral imaging also launched long time back.

Gagan is GPS dependent. China has its own working regional satellite navigation system for years now, and they are already expanding it to global level.

I know GAGAN is dependent on GPS but it provides very high accuracy. Thats why I didnt talk about IRNSS. China has nothing to compare with GAGAN.

I won't comment on DMB, they have the tech as I posted before but having working satellites depends on policy. They have T-DMB service over limited area that is listed in wiki. I think same is true for India. Tech wise, Chinese satellites can use upto ka, while GSAT 16 is limited upto ku. A comparable sat to GSAT-16:

India also had Ka band with GSAT-4 but the launch vehicle failed. Anyway, China doesn't have something like this..

pictu_20.jpg

Apart from one Mars mission, which China showed not much interest in, show me.
AGREE.

If the transponders are same than rests are its inefficiency ISRO also worked on large no of multi frequency sats,, see GSAT-7.
China has been making number of multi freq sats, commercially. DFH-4 alone launched 5 foreign satellites and 4 more under construct. Older buses have more sats.

India achieved 80 cm long time back check it, example CARTOSAT-2 launched in Jan 2007. Multi spectral imaging also launched long time back.
I was talking about comparing the best of two. The latest Chinese one has resolution as well as large swath. Larger than any Indian sat. A less than 80 cm resolution compared to 1m of Indian, with multi spectrum - CARTOSAT-2 is single spectrum.

I know GAGAN is dependent on GPS but it provides very high accuracy. Thats why I didnt talk about IRNSS. China has nothing to compare with GAGAN.
Beidou offers 10cm of accuracy. I am not sure how to compare the two. I guess they have reasons to not be dependent on GPS/GLONASS and have a system of their own, while India can afford to have both.

India also had Ka band with GSAT-4 but the launch vehicle failed. Anyway, China doesn't have something like this..

pictu_20.jpg
At the cost of limited lifetime and transponder number. I2k wasn't powerful enough. And I don't know the sat in pic.

Then what are we arguing about :lol:
China has been investing in R&D at a much greater rate and period. Their output can't simply be matched by Indians for a long time to come. All we can do is be happy about completing some mission that they didn't even try and claim one up!

Well to be honest, its true that China still has a significant lead over India in space. However, giving India's size/economy, they are the indeed doing quite well. I think we should stop these silly comparisons. Each country follows its own path/policies and objectives for the coming decades. Moreover, space should be for the whole mankind, not just for specific nations . we still lots to explore in space, one country alone can't do it no matter how big that country is.

Back
Top Bottom