JF-17X- A Pakistani Stealth Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundaus

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
JF-17X- A Pakistani Stealth Fighter

In what is seen as a counter to India’s effort to jointly develop the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) with Russia’s Sukhoi Aircraft Corp, Pakistan’s Kamra-based Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and China’s Chengdu Aerospace Corp (CAC) last October inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to jointly develop an advanced, stealthy, single-seat and single-engined derivative of the JF-17 Thunder fourth-generation light multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) that is already being co-developed by PAC and CAC. Consequently, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) is expected to induct only 100 JF-17s into service between this year and 2014, and subsequently switch over to the acquisition of another 150 JF-17-derived fifth-generation stealthy MRCAs between 2015 and 2025. Present plans call for the latter MRCA to be powered by SNECMA Moteurs’ M88-3 twin-shaft bypass turbofan, incorporate a digital glass cockpit and open-architecture avionics suite, and use SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems’ Vixen 500E X-band multi-mode active phased-array radar, or AESA, an integrated electronic warfare/defensive aids suite being developed by China’s CETC, along with a helmet-mounted sighting-cum-cueing system for which systems from THALES, BAE Systems and Denel Aerospace are being evaluated. The M88 turbofan for this aircraft will have variable camber inlet guide vanes, while its high-pressure compressor will have a sixth stage, and its exhaust nozzle will be of the ejector type. The turbofan will deliver 50kN (11,250lb) of dry thrust and 75kN (17,000lb) with afterburning. The primary offensive armament to be carried by this aircraft will be two underwing-mounted Hatf-8 (also called ‘Raad’ or ‘thunder’ in Arabic) air-launched cruise missile, which has a range of 350km. For air combat engagements, the stealthy MRCA will be armed with three types of air-to-air missiles: 60km-range PL-12 beyond visual range missile; 15km-range PL-13 within visual range missile; and PL-14 ramjet-powered 100km-range missile. The latter two have been developed by China in cooperation with South Africa’s Denel Aerospace.

Defence Aviation

Its a Good news. Pakistan should go ahead

Is this the J-XX that China has been working on for a few years or is this apart from that project?

As far as I know (and I admit, I know very little), the J-XX is being built from scratch to compete with the F-35 (seeing that China's main rival is the US). The JF-17 was made to be a low-cost, mid-tech, easy to maintain fighter and therefore, souping it upto fifth-gen levels to compete with F-35s doesn't make much sense to me (for a front-line role, that is). Therefore, is it safe to assume that the famous (or infamous) J-XX is not just a JF-17 on steroids and under an invisibility cloak?

Its a good news for Pakistan. Pakistan have to face many challenges in the coming years and a strong defence is required to meet all the future requirements keeping in view the india's defence developments.

F-17X- A Pakistani Stealth Fighter

In what is seen as a counter to India’s effort to jointly develop the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) with Russia’s Sukhoi Aircraft Corp, Pakistan’s Kamra-based Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and China’s Chengdu Aerospace Corp (CAC) last October inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to jointly develop an advanced, stealthy, single-seat and single-engined derivative of the JF-17 Thunder fourth-generation light multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) that is already being co-developed by PAC and CAC. Consequently, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) is expected to induct only 100 JF-17s into service between this year and 2014, and subsequently switch over to the acquisition of another 150 JF-17-derived fifth-generation stealthy MRCAs between 2015 and 2025. Present plans call for the latter MRCA to be powered by SNECMA Moteurs’ M88-3 twin-shaft bypass turbofan, incorporate a digital glass cockpit and open-architecture avionics suite, and use SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems’ Vixen 500E X-band multi-mode active phased-array radar, or AESA, an integrated electronic warfare/defensive aids suite being developed by China’s CETC, along with a helmet-mounted sighting-cum-cueing system for which systems from THALES, BAE Systems and Denel Aerospace are being evaluated. The M88 turbofan for this aircraft will have variable camber inlet guide vanes, while its high-pressure compressor will have a sixth stage, and its exhaust nozzle will be of the ejector type. The turbofan will deliver 50kN (11,250lb) of dry thrust and 75kN (17,000lb) with afterburning. The primary offensive armament to be carried by this aircraft will be two underwing-mounted Hatf-8 (also called ‘Raad’ or ‘thunder’ in Arabic) air-launched cruise missile, which has a range of 350km. For air combat engagements, the stealthy MRCA will be armed with three types of air-to-air missiles: 60km-range PL-12 beyond visual range missile; 15km-range PL-13 within visual range missile; and PL-14 ramjet-powered 100km-range missile. The latter two have been developed by China in cooperation with South Africa’s Denel Aerospace.

Hopefully no one gets offended but it is not possible to make the Jf-17 a Fifth Generation fighter. This would require a 100% re-design of the aircraft. The Two major things that set the Raptor apart from every other aircraft is that fact that it can super cruise and Internal weapons bay Unless the JF-17 were to have both of these you cannot consider it a fifth generation no matter how good the avionics and weapons are.
The only fifth generation being developed by china is the JXX and no one knows anything about it.

I love to have more debate on it

Minor airframe modifications to reduce the aircraft's radar cross-section by adding stealthy features

Santa you may be right. But I think that Pakistanis and Chinese are very good in break for modification. May be above quote from Wikipedia is from experts.

I don’t say its F-22 competitor. I know F-22 is far above technology. JF-17 cant compete that. But stealthy features may be added. kind of semi stealthy.

Last edited:
Hopefully no one gets offended but it is not possible to make the Jf-17 a Fifth Generation fighter. This would require a 100% re-design of the aircraft. The Two major things that set the Raptor apart from every other aircraft is that fact that it can super cruise and Internal weapons bay Unless the JF-17 were to have both of these you cannot consider it a fifth generation no matter how good the avionics and weapons are.
The only fifth generation being developed by china is the JXX and no one knows anything about it.

i agree with you on that, In fact PAF will try to make this a decent 4.5 generation MRCA at best.

PC & Santa you are right

Nothing is impossible. Inshallah PAF will have its own 5th generation fighter air craft.

JF-17 wasn't made to counter planes like the PAK-FA or the F-22...!
get a hold of your imagination willye?
a fifth gen fighter would have to be designed from scratch..the frame would(and should) have a majority carbon composite structure to give it stealth...as all engineers would know that only metal is detected by a radar and dielectrics are not...
the JF-17 is a good counter to LCA..you should look to work on a different plane which is a true...fifth gn fighter.

friends people here talk about building a 5th gen airplane just as if its a matter of few days.
howmany countries in the world can build a 5th gen aircraft ?just look at the us with their money and knowledge how much time it took to get the raptor to the sky,even the russian superior design its still working hard to get a 5th gen plane flying.

people talk about stealthy features what kind of stealth does the new chinese aircraft gong to get ,the pakfa,lmfi both will have plasma stealth,the raptor and jsf have radar absorbing technology what kind of staelth feature does china posses?

i the next 10 years there are going to be very few 5th gen planes.both the us and russia started work in the early 90 s and we will see only these aircrafts in the next 10-15 years, if china starts working from today i will still take 20 years mininum to get the plane flying.

thanx

Is this the J-XX that China has been working on for a few years or is this apart from that project?

As far as I know (and I admit, I know very little), the J-XX is being built from scratch to compete with the F-35 (seeing that China's main rival is the US). The JF-17 was made to be a low-cost, mid-tech, easy to maintain fighter and therefore, souping it upto fifth-gen levels to compete with F-35s doesn't make much sense to me (for a front-line role, that is). Therefore, is it safe to assume that the famous (or infamous) J-XX is not just a JF-17 on steroids and under an invisibility cloak?

Ignore it bro, that picture is just an F-35 edited to look like JF-17. That "news" is trash, nothing more. JF-17 will never become a 5th gen fighter, but no need for PAF fans to worry - China and Pak. have it covered ;) You should hear something about it by 2012 according to inside sources.

MZUBAIR bhai, you should be careful about quoting stuff from Wikipedia. You know that Planned Upgrades section you quoted? I know the person that wrote it - he is not an expert! If you like, you can go to wikipedia and change it to say whatever you like - anyone can, so it is not considered a reliable source.

Last edited:
Ignore it bro, that picture is just an F-35 edited to look like JF-17. That "news" is trash, nothing more. JF-17 will never become a 5th gen fighter, but no need for PAF fans to worry - China and Pak. have it covered ;) You should hear something about it by 2012 according to inside sources.

Do not ignore it at all, as it has been confirmed by many PDF think tanks that this concept is pretty much the truth however 5th generation thing is just too far fetched idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom