What's new

Motivations behind selecting the name 'India' in 1947

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats not true, infact, hindu scriptures refer to the regions of Pakistan particularly the Panjab regions (including both Pakistani and Sikh Panjab) to be off limit to devout practising hindus.

Whoa, the cities of Lahore and Kasur are said to have been founded by the sons of King Ram of Ayodhya, and the cities of Takshashila (Taxila) and Pushkalavati (Charsadda) are said to have been founded by the sons of his brother Bharat.

Gandhara is frequently mentioned in the Mahabharata, and there are many archeological relics related to deity Shiva that have been found in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
I did not read the full topic but I have question

What was the original Ancient Punjab. As I seen on Wiki it from Hassan Abdal( or nearest city towards Peeshawar) to Delhi and Haryana, etc. all are one Punjab.

Did anyone have the details information regarding this?

Sorry, I did not read the entire thread, but can anyone please tell what is the fight about?

Is it the claim to word "India"? If that is what it is then I will atleast not mind if Pakistan wants to take up the name India. We can always find some other name or may be switch to "Bharat" which is not as popular as "India"but is the official name in addition to "India". (correct me if I am wrong here)

Actually, I like the idea of Pakistan changing its name to 'India' or a derivative like "West India"?

Last edited:
Let me put this question to Pakistanis here:

What if Pakistan was named India? How will things be different? Thanks

Here is my best guess..
The word "India" came from Indeginous which means native or local. The colonial british often reffered to local people as indians for eg: red indian. The largest population of indigenous people was encounterd in Bhatrat or so called "hindustan". Hence the name fell in popular favour as India.

That is my best guess but I am no historian.

anything east of the Indus has always been, historically India.

whatever happened this century doesnt mean a thing

east of indus= india

some indians didnt like each other so they made a separate india, and took some non indian lands while they were at it

pashtuns and balochis are not indians/desis. panjabis and muhajirs and sindhis are

east of indus= india

some indians didnt like each other so they made a separate india, and took some non indian lands while they were at it

pashtuns and balochis are not indians/desis. panjabis and muhajirs and sindhis are

Shershah>>> I think I will have agree with you. How come you have choosen Sher Shah as your avtar...he is a legend in India / Bihar..one of the greates warrior.

All the names India, Hind, Hindustan,Indo,Indies,Shendu come from the Indus river.

The name Indus is an English word for Ινδός which means like "Indian".Indus evolved to India, Indian, Indo, Indies, etc.

Hind is everyone east of the Indus. Hindu is the mispronunciation of the Sanskrit word Sindhu by the Persians.Shendu comes from the Sanskrit word Sindhu also. Sindhu was the original Sanskrit name. Hindu never meant the Vedic religions. The British took this word "Hindu" and gathered ALL the Vedic religions and grouped as "Hinduism".

And the reality is all of "India's history" from all over India is a shared history.

Last edited:
After going through all the post, I could figure out that Pakistani intellegentia is still trying to defend the decision of Pakistani formation.....Pakistanis have been taught these years successfully that " the little" teenei weenei is actually the father and its not the other way around. Tortured souls.... Bangladesh is so better off.......

Shershah>>> I think I will have agree with you. How come you have choosen Sher Shah as your avtar...he is a legend in India / Bihar..one of the greates warrior.

Because friend, I am a Pakhtun and Sher Shah was arguably, the greatest Pashtun ever

After going through all the post, I could figure out that Pakistani intellegentia is still trying to defend the decision of Pakistani formation.....Pakistanis have been taught these years successfully that " the little" teenei weenei is actually the father and its not the other way around. Tortured souls.... Bangladesh is so better off.......

I could smell agony...the Indian version.

east of indus= india

Agree!
Pashtuns and Balochi are of Iranian origin genetically.

Also in epic India,tribes of Afghanistan(known as Aswaka back then) is shown as was a foreign kingdom.

ontopic
list of names of India.
Indoi - Greek

Hind- name in Arabic/Persian/Urdu

Hoddu - Hebrew

Aryavarta - name in Sanskrit.

Bharat - traditional/local name.

Tenjiku(meaning the heavenly center of the world) - Japanese.

Shendu - Chinese

finally

India - British / Latin / english.

From all the above names if you had to choose an official name that represents a country which in modern times is a pluralistic, multilingual, multiethnic ,multi-racial , secular and democratic.

India
is the only one which qualifies if you don't want it be biased in anyway.

Last edited:
The reason, can be debated till the end of civilisation.

But we all believe our own versions,

And i like this one the best.

If you don't like it then send all your opinions to IDontGiveADam@DontReply.com

What about Zoroastrianism and Judaism, which constitute 0.01% and 0.005% of India's total population respectively? Also, there are about 0.18% Bahais' in India as well. I guess you ran out of letters to fit those three in.

Let me put this question to Pakistanis here:

What if Pakistan was named India? How will things be different? Thanks

India wouldn't be able to claim Pakistani history such as the number zero, a lot of the mathematics, and a lot of Pakistani civilizations.

India wouldn't be able to claim Pakistani history such as the number zero, a lot of the mathematics, and a lot of Pakistani civilizations.

Not just pakistani history..'' ANCIENT '' pakistani history...lol..
btw..the fact of the matter is nobody has exclusive claim on ancient history or invention...it's a shared common history..both have equal rights on it. I am sure the persons who invented zero etc..would go crazy if they ever come to know about this type of desperate arguements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom