What's new

PAF replaced its ageing FT-5 with K-8P Karakorum

We had almost 30 FT5 [reitired Yesterday] and 9 FT6[ May be they r in service]
50+ K8 flying !!!!

PAF grounds ageing trainer aircraft

ISLAMABAD, Jan 5: After serving the Pakistan Air Force for over 36 years, the fleet of the two-seat fighter trainer aircraft, FT-5, stood retired on Thursday and replaced by advanced jet trainer K-8P.

“The re-equipment ceremony held at the No 1 fighter conversion unit, PAF Base Mianwali, marked the end of the long and illustrious services rendered by Chinese FT-5 fighter trainer aircraft. The FCU is now being re-equipped with the state-of-the-art K-8P fighter trainer aircraft,” an announcement by the PAF said.

Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, who was the chief guest at the ceremony, said: “The advanced and focused training at No-1 FCU on K-8P aircraft would assist the PAF to remain an air force second to none. This aircraft will play an important role in the training of our pilots for the future and will have a significant impact on the Ops Readiness of the PAF.”

The unit imparts fighter flying training to the newly-graduated pilots of PAF.

damn, in this case India needs more money to buy more 'advanced' trainers to counter this.

good move by PAF, hope the production line is in the contract too

I think FT-5 was being used as fighter conversion...now if its being retired and replaced by K8 means that probably new fighter conversion aircraft might be inducted which can be L-15 we heard abt in the past...

Note= this is my personal point of view

I think FT-5 was being used as fighter conversion...now if its being retired and replaced by K8 means that probably new fighter conversion aircraft might be inducted which can be L-15 we heard abt in the past...

Note= this is my personal point of view

JJ-9 i think will be inducted - 4 were supposed to be 'leased' to PK for testing and evaluation but i've heard nothing more about this news item. also referred as FTC-2000.

JL-9/JJ-9 Plateau Eagle

Developed by GAIC since 2001, JL-9/JJ-9/FTC-2000 (Fighter Trainer China-2000) advanced lead-in fighter trainer the aircraft appears to have evolved from the earlier JJ-7/FT-7 design from the same company. However several new features were added including a solid nose housing a modern PD fire-control radar, FC-1 style side air intakes, double delta wings (no leading edge flaps), integrated avionics (HUD + MFDs, RWR, ECM, 1553B databus, INS/GPS, air data computer) and a fixed IFR probe for IFR simulation. New stepped tandem cockpits and a one-piece windshield give both instructor and student better forward/downward views when compared with JJ-7/FT-7. However the same WP-13F(C) (max trust 4,400kg, 6,450kg with afterburner) is retained in order to cut cost. Its control system is mechanical rather than FBW, again in order to save cost. This suggests JL-9 could only offer a limited improvement in performance (such as all-weather capability and a better low altitude/low speed performance) compared to its predecessor. Once it enters the service with PLAAF/PLAN, it will replace JJ-7 for the training of J-7/8 pilots. However it could turn out to be obsolete for the training of J-10/11 pilots. The FTC-2000 designation suggests it is also aimed at the international market for countries who already operate FT-7s. JL-9 might face some competition from Hongdu's L-15 (see below) which is technologically more advanced thus more expensive. Its main advantage lies with the relatively faster pace of the project and a low price tag. It is possible that JL-9 may be modified into an EW aircraft or a light-attack aircraft in the future. The first prototype of JL-9 (JL90001/421) first flew on December 13, 2003, with the second prototype undergoing static test. The 03 prototype (422) first flew on April 3, 2004. Both prototypes were evaluated at CFTE between 2004 and 2005. The first fight o

An entire generation of Young Guns trained on this rugged aircraft. The PAF even wired it up to carry a couple of Sidewinders for point defence role.

scan0010-1.jpg

K-8 is an intermediate Trainer meaning that it is an aircraft combining the roles of T-37 & T-33, just before the rookie pilot goes on to the FT-5; the step before being assigned to the front line squadrons.

FT-5 on the other hand performed a role similar to that of T-38; that is, a lead-in trainer to the front line aircraft. FT-5 may be a 40 year old frame and technology but its performance is better than F86 Sabres and as MIG 17 the aircraft performed well against US F-106 & F-4s in Vietnam.

This leads me to believe that this is only a stop gap measure until a suitable advanced Trainer can be obtained.

K-8 is an intermediate Trainer meaning that it is an aircraft combining the roles of T-37 & T-33, just before the rookie pilot goes on to the FT-5; the step before being assigned to the front line squadrons.

FT-5 on the other hand performed a role similar to that of T-38; that is, a lead-in trainer to the front line aircraft. FT-5 may be a 40 year old frame and technology but its performance is better than F86 Sabres and as MIG 17 the aircraft performed well against US F-106 & F-4s in Vietnam.

This leads me to believe that this is only a stop gap measure until a suitable advanced Trainer can be obtained.

that is where the JJ-9/FTC-2000 comes in as the LIFT.

about the JF-17 twin seater..will it replace the FT-7/FT-6 and act as the advance jet trainer for the airforce?

Back
Top Bottom