What's new

Pakistan And India-Water Disputes-News And Updates

ABSOLUTELY NOT. I hope Modi isn't dumb enough to **** this thing. It is one of the most problematic areas where we have a solution that has stood. Hopefully he is not foolish to screw with this.
I don't get it, why should this be completely out of consideration?
We don't have any water sharing agreement with China. Not having a water sharing agreement does not mean cutting off waters. It only allows India to build projects that allow proper utilization.
Regarding the solution that has stood, how many times has Pakistan taken accused of violating it and taken us to international forums. Its only our blind thinking that it has stood. Go look up old threads where they have accused us of stealing their water as if its their grandfathers property.
Why is touching this so sacrilegious? Your signature says "Nothing is sacred". How would killing of Indians be alright, but abrogating IWT not alright?

Since Jammu and Kashmir is occupied by India..the India state must share its part with JK...this has nothing to do with Pakistan...more like..India deprives occupied Kashmir from its share of water...and this would constitute a war crime as India is now guilty of looting natural resources of an occupied country.
Same way you guys have looted an "occupied country" Balochistan. You guys have robbed the country of it's natural resources.

nothing can be done about Indus waters. we can generate electricity which we are doing.

I am glad you acknowledged that.

The Brahmaputra, Ganga get most of water from catchment areas within India.
Most of tibet is a desert for good reason

Nope, they get a sizeable amount from Tibet as well, and with each year ticking by that becomes more crucial than ever.

india does not get much water from tibet. can china build dams ?? yes. can they use the dammed water ? no
india is in same position on Indus river. 300,000 people live in Ladakh and Kargil in Indus river walley. with the winters they have there is not much use for the water

Read the above, the Chinese can build dams by the dozens. You still didn't understand that you and other posters talked of blocking the Indus, that's what I am referring to.

what percent of the brahmaputra water comes from tibet ??
[/QUOTE]

The inflow is about 71.4 billion, of which 85% is the Chinese contribution.

You are assuming that as a response to our rescinding of IWT China would block every trans border river. The reality is that we don't have any formal water sharing agreement with China, so scrapping of IWT would actually make things even. Keep in mind that it does not mean we would stop water to Pakistan. It just means that we won't have a formal agreement which would give us leverage during wartime.

Assumptions are usually the mother of all .......But you know the Chinese will look for any excuse to damage India, and what better with India playing the water game. You see leverage over water, in a region where you have source rivers from other countries isn't a particularly wise thing to do. But I honestly don't believe it will come down to this.

I am glad you acknowledged that.

Nope, they get a sizeable amount from Tibet as well, and with each year ticking by that becomes more crucial than ever.

Read the above, the Chinese can build dams by the dozens. You still didn't understand that you and other posters talked of blocking the Indus, that's what I am referring to.

The inflow is about 71.4 billion, of which 85% is the Chinese contribution.

Assumptions are usually the mother of all .......But you know the Chinese will look for any excuse to damage India, and what better with India playing the water game. You see leverage over water, in a region where you have source rivers from other countries isn't a particularly wise thing to do. But I honestly don't believe it will come down to this.

Only 20%-30% of brahmaputra water flows are from tibet. Only the Indian state of Assam is dependent on the brahmaputra. the country to be impacted is Bangladesh.

China is not going to take sides in Indus water disputes. they have plenty of disputes of their own

Chinese can screw us anytime as there is no treaty there...the point is not about if they can screw us or not...the point is what they are going to get by screwing us...India Pakistan relationship is like that it wont hurt either party if we just stop dealing with each other...is the same true for China and India?? So in short what is that China going to gain by stopping water?? and the day they can without hurting their own interests they would...then it wont matter if we still oblige to Indus water treaty or not...no??

Chinese can screw us anytime as there is no treaty there...the point is not about if they can screw us or not...the point is what they are going to get by screwing us...India Pakistan relationship is like that it wont hurt either party if we just stop dealing with each other...is the same true for China and India?? So in short what is that China going to gain by stopping water?? and the day they can without hurting their own interests they would...then it wont matter if we still oblige to Indus water treaty or not...no??

Again you're not quite getting he point, or maybe I'm not explaining it well. At the moment the Chinese won't bother, why go through the hassle, and they will be viewed negatively. If India embarks on the water escapades, then you will give them them miles of rope with which to work with. They have no reason to be nice, neutral, and be quite horrible in fact. By the way, China gains a great deal by stopping Indian water, it deals with domestic water issues, and comes tot he aid of an ally who is being given an unfair hand.

Only 20%-30% of brahmaputra water flows are from tibet. Only the Indian state of Assam is dependent on the brahmaputra. the country to be impacted is Bangladesh.

China is not going to take sides in Indus water disputes. they have plenty of disputes of their own

No it doesn't, and that's from Indian sources, and I've told you three times already, it isn't just the Brahmaputra.
China will take sides, you're naive to think they won't. They have no other disputes in terms of water sharing, they sit on the roof of the world remember.

China is already constructing dams to generate Hydel power across the Brahmaputra in Tibet .That in effect throttles the flow & contains the rich alluvial soil so essential for agriculture within Tibet , thus effecting India & particularly Bangladesh .Trouble will start if they start diverting its waters to meet its grand plan of rendering the arid / semi arid lands worthy of agriculture in Central & South Western China & to meet the needs of potable water in eastern & southern China where the bulk of Chinese people are located .It seems a distinct possibility .

If I'm not mistaken out of the waters which flow across AP & Assam at the time of entering Bangladesh , in terms of percentage , some 35-40% of the waters have their origin in the Tibetan plateau. The Brahmaputra gains from the SW monsoon & it's tributaries as it flows in India & BD before draining in the Bay of Bengal .

They won't touch the Indus for if they do , they give India a ready excuse to abrogate the IWT as the water available to share with the lower riprarian state would have been on the basis of the flow rate at the time of entering India & exit as calculated in 1960.

Again you're not quite getting he point, or maybe I'm not explaining it well. At the moment the Chinese won't bother, why go through the hassle, and they will be viewed negatively. If India embarks on the water escapades, then you will give them them miles of rope with which to work with. They have no reason to be nice, neutral, and be quite horrible in fact. By the way, China gains a great deal by stopping Indian water, it deals with domestic water issues, and comes tot he aid of an ally who is being given an unfair hand.

No it doesn't, and that's from Indian sources, and I've told you three times already, it isn't just the Brahmaputra.
China will take sides, you're naive to think they won't. They have no other disputes in terms of water sharing, they sit on the roof of the world remember.

look at rainfall for major cities of Tibet. compare them with rainfall for major cities of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.

look at map of india. brahmaputra flows through assam & arunachal pradesh. it does not impact india.
the indus is most important river for pakistan. india cannot do much about the indus. the jhelum and chenab can be harnessed for people of J&K. it should set up for a nice fight between pakistan and j&k.

look at rainfall for major cities of Tibet. compare them with rainfall for major cities of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.

look at map of india. brahmaputra flows through assam & arunachal pradesh. it does not impact india.
the indus is most important river for pakistan. india cannot do much about the indus. the jhelum and chenab can be harnessed for people of J&K. it should set up for a nice fight between pakistan and j&k.

Yes and I gave the exact figure, you paid no attention to it. The Brahmaputra will effect India, and the other two rivers that flow into India will see their capacity cut as well, hurting the Ganga.
Go ahead, I've told you before, lobby your government, why do you keep posting here? Your grand plan obviously has no flaw.

Yes and I gave the exact figure, you paid no attention to it. The Brahmaputra will effect India, and the other two rivers that flow into India will see their capacity cut as well, hurting the Ganga.
Go ahead, I've told you before, lobby your government, why do you keep posting here? Your grand plan obviously has no flaw.

stop BSing

Tibet is on the leeward side of the Himalayas. India is on the windward side. Most of the rain falls on the wind ward side

China's annual trade surplus with India is around $40+ billions that's almost equals to the whole CPEC project. I doubt China would like to jeopardize it's business interest by being "too involved" into the water war. No doubt they will take a serious notice of this move of India but don't expect China to come out in full blown support of Pakistan.

I might be wrong but I am afraid this "supposed" help from China over IWT might end up just like the 7th fleet of US.

stop BSing

Tibet is on the leeward side of the Himalayas. India is on the windward side. Most of the rain falls on the wind ward side

Talk to me like that again and I'll kick you off the forum do you understand that my tough little friend?

5000mm of rain falls in Tibet, if the issue was so irrelevant, why is your government concerned 24/7 about it?

Actually don't engage me in conversation again.

China's annual trade surplus with India is around $40+ billions that's almost equals to the whole CPEC project. I doubt China would like to jeopardize it's business interest by being "too involved" into the water war. No doubt they will take a serious notice of this move of India but don't expect China to come out in full blown support of Pakistan.

I might be wrong but I am afraid this "supposed" help from China over IWT might end up just like the 7th fleet of US.

Supporting the water issue won't be a problem for China, and that's regardless of trade. You only need to take note of China's movements in the South China Sea, with countries it has a great deal of trade.
It won't be like the 7th fleet saga at all...

Talk to me like that again and I'll kick you off the forum do you understand that my tough little friend?

5000mm of rain falls in Tibet, if the issue was so irrelevant, why is your government concerned 24/7 about it?

Actually don't engage me in conversation again.

Supporting the water issue won't be a problem for China, and that's regardless of trade. You only need to take note of China's movements in the South China Sea, with countries it has a great deal of trade.
It won't be like the 7th fleet saga at all...
South China Sea issue involves China directly, they are not backing an ally. I am not saying China won't come to the rescue of Pakistan, it will but to what extend is the real question.

South China Sea issue involves China directly, they are not backing an ally. I am not saying China won't come to the rescue of Pakistan, it will but to what extend is the real question.

Chal we're writing about things that may not even happen i.e. water wars. How's life in general?

Good.
Never liked Modi but I will praise him if he cancels this treaty.

The question is can he cancel the treaty.

What will India do with the water? At some point in time they shall have to release the water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom