What's new

Pakistan Navy will get 4 more F-22Ps

It is expected that another batch of four follow-on frigates will be ordered in due course. Indications from Pakistan navy officials suggest that these are likely to use the same hullform as the F22P but with improvements to machinery systems as well as combat systems such as vertically launched missiles

:tup: :yahoo:

I believe the article being referred to is the second piece on the following page:

Upgrading the F-22P

Usman Ansari

this article is very well written. iam sure the navy is aware of the requirements for the next 4 f22p 's. iam sure PN can design an built heavier frigates with better fire power and hanger for 2 choppers.....

Why we are buying so less, we should try to buy in number than can get some good price, we also need some submarines and other patrol crafts

What will hapenn with the 6 Type 21 frigate of the Pakistan Navy ?

Pakistan could upgrade its older Type-21 Amazone Frigates with new chinese equipment or sell it to Bangladesh (if they need it..).

I read in this forum Pakistan will develop a modified version of F-22P frigate with extra capabilities . But in the news it says only few more same class of frigate . i think Pakistan navy should look how India navy is expending and modernizing. its high PN takes some drastic measure to get some ultra modern warship from friendly country . I think instead of getting same type F-22 Pakistan takes some more modernize F-22 and take necessary step to get F-54A frigate preferably with TOT .

Pakistan could upgrade its older Type-21 Amazone Frigates with new chinese equipment or sell it to Bangladesh (if they need it..).

Is costly to operate ships,thats why relatively incapable ships are best retired rather than upgraded.Pakistan needs most are some solid air defence surface ships,coz right now the air defences of the current fleet are inadequate o combat modern cruise missile saturation attacks.

Bangladesh is getting some ex-PLAN Jianwei I and eventually some F22B (i.e. variation on the F22P). They won't be interested in Type 21s, which are getting quite long in the tooth.

I read in this forum Pakistan will develop a modified version of F-22P frigate with extra capabilities . But in the news it says only few more same class of frigate . i think Pakistan navy should look how India navy is expending and modernizing. its high PN takes some drastic measure to get some ultra modern warship from friendly country . I think instead of getting same type F-22 Pakistan takes some more modernize F-22 and take necessary step to get F-54A frigate preferably with TOT .
You are always better of building ships at home rather than buying them abroad. More F22P yes, but domestically built. Which opens up also the possibility (if not the likelihood) of local modification. I'm sure South Korea or Turkey would (also) be ready and able to supply modern ship(s). But will such a deal allow for building at home?

If PN can't get MK41/quadpacked ESSM for a F22P mod, there is the possibility of Sylver with quadpacket VT1 (similar to HQ7) or future quapacket CAMM. Then there are Umkhonto and variants from South Africa. And Chinese options.

Is costly to operate ships,thats why relatively incapable ships are best retired rather than upgraded.Pakistan needs most are some solid air defence surface ships,coz right now the air defences of the current fleet are inadequate o combat modern cruise missile saturation attacks.

i.e. need for VLU/VL SAM. Preferably fire and forget (IRH or RFH)

Bangladesh is getting some ex-PLAN Jianwei I and eventually some F22B (i.e. variation on the F22P). They won't be interested in Type 21s, which are getting quite long in the tooth. (IRH or RFH)

Hey Penguin may I ask another noobish question : Can the Type-21s be stripped to become coastal defences of a sort to protect some of our outlier (if strategically important) Islands ? I'm sure that it wouldn't be able to stall off an impressive offensive for long but couldn't their Exocet, Sea Cats, the Vickers, the Oerlikons and the Anti-Submarine torpedo launchers if backed up some more C-802 from ground-based launchers and a better radar and sonar be a possible thing to do ? I think the word used for battleships who acted as mobile sea batteries were 'blockships' !

Hey Penguin may I ask another noobish question : Can the Type-21s be stripped to become coastal defences of a sort to protect some of our outlier (if strategically important) Islands ? I'm sure that it wouldn't be able to stall off an impressive offensive for long but couldn't their Exocet, Sea Cats, the Vickers, the Oerlikons and the Anti-Submarine torpedo launchers if backed up some more C-802 from ground-based launchers and a better radar and sonar be a possible thing to do ? I think the word used for battleships who acted as mobile sea batteries were 'blockships' !

you know what the problem is?
These ships are wayy too old. they have completed their life and are becoming extremely expensive to maintain.
thats one of the main reason PN is getting more F-22p, so they can replace these old ships.

China has already agreed to export its Type 054A/B frigate, but i think the Pakistani government wants to fully digest the technology of F-22P so then they later step on the Type 054A/B. :coffee:

Remember that Rome was not built in a day, it is a very long path to build up a strong navy, same for both China and Pakistan.

It's a dilemma here.

Type 054A is definitely better than than F22P but Karachi shipyard has just obtained the experience of building F22P. It would be financially and engineering challenging to build a 054A in Karachi shipyard.

It's a dilemma here.

Type 054A is definitely better than than F22P but Karachi shipyard has just obtained the experience of building F22P. It would be financially and engineering challenging to build a 054A in Karachi shipyard.

PN needs to refine the support of F22s first before manufacturing or maintaining additional platforms. Pakistan Navy currently has French Submarines, US ships, British Type-21s Frigates, Chinese vessels, Thai Missile Boats, Turkish vessels etc. There are already 6-8 different platforms to maintain and a well thought out maintenance approach is needed. More F22s will be a better option before taking on the Type 54 right away.

I hope full that the PN would have worked with the Chinese in modifying the current design and introducing latest sensors, electronics, weapons, stealth and better stealth propulsion systems like on German Frigates. I hope that they will have 7 of such types instead of 4 till 2020 along with the current 4 we have and scrap the U.S and British ones in Gidani.

Back
Top Bottom