What's new

Saudi to turn to India, Sri Lanka for housemaids

No no indians please. I don't want my food to be mixed with the indian special sauce.

Disgusting:sick::bad:

Disgusting..lol..All maids should receive some training on health & hygiene etc (whether in KSA or elsewhere in the world) before they are employed in any household (as majority of them come from poor families with no education or health awareness and so they possess many bad habits). It should be explicitly mentioned in their contract that any breach of health & hygiene standard would be met with punitive measures (a big fine to fire).

Last edited by a moderator:
Saudi delegation visited few times regarding BD housemaids.
Those were the conditions that were put forward to the delegation by BD authorities.

1) Weekly holiday.
2) Mobile phone access - Right to keep mobile phone.
3) Consular access to the maid 24/7.
4) Job contract.
5) Minimum pay.

Seems like Saudi employers were not interested to meet the condition. But they want maid.

Thanks

Gud job by Bangla authorities! a lot to learn for Lankan authorities..........but i hardly think they will

It was a question , not a suggestion.

You didn't get my point . The point is that they should not have to look abroad for such menial jobs. If India had enough jobs and enough well paying jobs , we would not have to send people to do such menial jobs abroad. For this reason , this is nothing to be proud of.

We take pride in how we supply doctors , engineers and entrepreneurs to the world , but not maids.

There is no low job or high job. Everyone is entitled to honour. It doesnt matter what job he/she does.
If a maid is good at his job, and does it honorably . No problem. it is not corruption or theft, an honest job.
what is demeaning is the way the society treat these people! And this falls largely on the Saudi society or any one which doesnt treat maids like human beings

I think government should negotiate with Saudi regarding the welfare of the maids.. There are plenty of news about torture and mistreatment came out.. I am not saying all Saudis are bad, but there are lot of complaints.. We should make sure that our maids shouldnt be treated as slaves.

Of course I have talked to many maids who used to work in Saudi. I remember one told me that Arabs are good people and middle east is a good place, but Saudi Arab is a different thing and it is a place she will never go!

Well, then I don't understand your criticism? None of them are forced to immigrate. They could probably work inside India but they know that the conditions are worse in terms of nearly everything. So why bother?

Most Arab countries are developed and rich in terms of resources etc. The GCC is one of the richest regions in the world if not the richest (Qatar, UAE and Kuwait especially). Look at the per capita income. Certainly in our region. Many welfare states too. But indeed there are some more poor Arab countries who struggle.

Also it is clear that we are talking about KSA, a g-20 member etc and the GCC.

LOL, yeah. I meant flock. Not flog as in floggings.

Gibbs:

Don't cry Sri Lankan. Baby murderers deserve death and much more too.

She didnt murder, the baby's mother didnt do the job properly!

:laughcry::omghaha:

All that coming from a SRI LANKAN of all people. Biggest joke I have heard in years. Return from your fantasy world and know your place.

What a joke, LOL. Haha.:laughcry:

You will probably get banned for that post so enjoy the seizures you will be getting outside of this forum.

maids in Lankan home dont come with nails inside their body and they dont get murdered for something they didnt do!
And yes mine is place better than that!

Well it could be a possibility BUT one thing bugs me:

Why have Indonesia, Ethiopia and Philippines turned their backs and not sending these people?

What are the reasons?

While I would not want to elucidate them, we all know.

Even Pakistanis and Bangladeshis know.

It is a matter of concern and I think entire South Asia + the countries with whom there was disputes like Philippines, Indonesia and Ethiopia, must sit down and discuss what are the reasons for the problems there and come to a mutual set of agreements.

I have read numerous, numerous reports about mistreatment of worker class people including domestic help in Saudi.

While all Saudis are not bad, the cases are notorious online.

Well it could be a possibility BUT one thing bugs me:

Why have Indonesia, Ethiopia and Philippines turned their backs and not sending these people?

What are the reasons?

While I would not want to elucidate them, we all know.

Even Pakistanis and Bangladeshis know.

It is a matter of concern and I think entire South Asia + the countries with whom there was disputes like Philippines, Indonesia and Ethiopia, must sit down and discuss what are the reasons for the problems there and come to a mutual set of agreements.

I have read numerous, numerous reports about mistreatment of worker class people including domestic help in Saudi.

While all Saudis are not bad, the cases are notorious online.

They are bad no doubt.

The point is go create openings for your own people provide social security net to your people if NOT then don't crib these people have to support their families even at cost of their own rights.

Riyasat aka State is responsible for protecting its subjects not a dictator country. Simple as that

Saudi delegation visited few times regarding BD housemaids.
Those were the conditions that were put forward to the delegation by BD authorities.

1) Weekly holiday.
2) Mobile phone access - Right to keep mobile phone.
3) Consular access to the maid 24/7.
4) Job contract.
5) Minimum pay.

Seems like Saudi employers were not interested to meet the condition. But they want maid.

Thanks

Apparently they don't want maids, they want slaves. Well, that is the general Arab culture anyway, to hire slaves who have no rights.

Dude, in all honesty, the young Rizana Nafeek did not deserve to live after she smothered the 4 month old baby!!! Unless that is untrue.

That is the problem.

There can be no ways to prove it. The maids cannot leave the houses unless accompanied by a legal male (According to Saudi laws) which means they are caged. So what happens in a house, stays in the house unless the MALE owner of the house or the male employer says something. It all depends on that one man's word.

Injustice is there in all countries but targeting domestic help is one of the crudest forms of it all and also very sadistic.

Al Baik :laugh:

Those guys know how to make their chicken! :lol:

Whoever here on PDF living there can confirm that.

I grew up in Jeddah, Jeddah was the best experience of my life from schools to sookhs (shopping with friends & family) to secret night parties to tango's with Egyptians girls, Saudi was heaven all way through & no its not the backward society that the media loves to propagate, the night life of jeddah can beat even those of torontonian's & al Baik broast chicken along with those fries, garlic sauce & bun is in a league of its own

http://midleeasternvoyage.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_0838-e1352972807222.jpg

Indians housemaids have every rights to work in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states very stable and comfortable than home country, I think, they should pack immediately for this opportunity and more cash available.

despite the recent bad press by the western media, the working conditions for housemaids are much better in KSA than in Pakistan and India, so yes this the reason why people keep coming.

Apparently they don't want maids, they want slaves. Well, that is the general Arab culture anyway, to hire slaves who have no rights.

they want to hold on to their culture then we should stop sending our people to help them to keep that up shuldnt we?

we also have slaves but we have different names for them
bonded labour at brick mills where the entire generation is in debt and even the unborn are slaves to the bink owners.
whats more, my Baloch Sardars "own" the people of the tribe and make them work in dangerous caves that are deemed very risky by the government but they are threatened to work there for free and mortalities are high due to poisonous gases if the cave doesnt even collapse .

so in short there are different cultures in the first and third world that still have slaves but have a watered down name for them
Arabs have just not caught up with the politically correct naming for them so for that they are to be blamed

maybe if they call these workers interns then all will be good eh?

they want to hold on to their culture then we should stop sending our people to help them to keep that up shuldnt we?

bonded labour at brick mills where the entire generation is in debt and even the unborn are slaves to the bink owners.
whats more, my Baloch Sardars "own" the people of the tribe and make them work in dangerous caves that are deemed very risky by the government but they are threatened to work there for free and mortalities are high due to poisonous gases if the cave doesnt even collapse .

so in short there are different cultures in the first and third world that still have slaves but have a watered down name for them
Arabs have just not caught up with the politically correct naming for them so for that they are to be blamed

Agreed. We may be even worse but we do not have access to the same Islam culture, traditions and unlimited wealth.

I dont think anybody will claim we treat our poor better. But end of the day, we can do something, or push govt to do something when the poor are in our country.
In a foreign country, even our govt is helpless, the same people/their relatives will blame govt for not helping their citizen.

Which is why we should work with KSA to have certain basic standards met, so that at least the consulate is capable of doing something for them.

Back
Top Bottom