What's new

Tipu Sultan, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan's lives to be turned into world class productions: Fawad Chaudhry

Your major fallacy is in assuming Tipu would have aided the French in a true colonial adventure (had the British been defeated) against other indians, as the marathas did.
Nothing comes free of cost. The French would have had to take Tipu's help in their expansion because he would have had to owe them that. He already indicated his alliance by not attacking the French colonies in his vicinity. Again, I would recommend you to take Mir Jafar's example. He didn't anticipate getting deposed by the British but still was eventually deposed when the British found it difficult to control him. Tipu did take French help, Tipu didn't attack French colonies. How is he different from the Marathas or Nizam? Just because he lost and British eventually conquered India? Wouldn't the French have demanded extra revenue, extra land for their help just like the British did in Bengal?
Tipu took help from a nation who were the enemies of the British at the time. Tipu did not take help from the colonial masters of Hindustan. The marathas however did ally with Hindustan's colonial masters.
Again, you tend to ignore my previous point where I clearly mentioned that we are imposing our knowledge of the timeline of events on 18th century rulers. Neither the Marathas nor the Nizam would have anticipated British taking full control of India.
And in your blindness, you fail to see that the Marathas did defeat the British and didn't just hand everything on a platter. You'll retort by saying that they did it to save their kingdom, and that's not wrong, I'll say the same for Tipu. Again, I'll reiterate the idea of India of the rulers of that time would have been very different from what we have now. There was no 'nationalism' as such, just rulers vying to keep control over their territories.
Again, you already get this as you're one of the more intellectual posters around here. Nevertheless, you preach the usual mantra.
I can't do anything if you 'choose' to just ignore my viewpoint.

You are making movies of random south Indian king because he is a Muslim. You guys in general have a weak grasp at the history of the subcontinent in general and India in particular, that's why you're clutching at straws like this.
I'm sure they don't know of Rani Velu Nachiyar, Puli Thevar, Veerapandiya Kattabomman, Yashwantrao Holkar, etc. They wouldn't even have heard of these names😑

Nothing comes free of cost. The French would have had to take Tipu's help in their expansion because he would have had to owe them that. He already indicated his alliance by not attacking the French colonies in his vicinity. Again, I would recommend you to take Mir Jafar's example. He didn't anticipate getting deposed by the British but still was eventually deposed when the British found it difficult to control him. Tipu did take French help, Tipu didn't attack French colonies. How is he different from the Marathas or Nizam? Just because he lost and British eventually conquered India? Wouldn't the French have demanded extra revenue, extra land for their help just like the British did in Bengal?

Again, you tend to ignore my previous point where I clearly mentioned that we are imposing our knowledge of the timeline of events on 18th century rulers. Neither the Marathas nor the Nizam would have anticipated British taking full control of India.
And in your blindness, you fail to see that the Marathas did defeat the British and didn't just hand everything on a platter. You'll retort by saying that they did it to save their kingdom, and that's not wrong, I'll say the same for Tipu. Again, I'll reiterate the idea of India of the rulers of that time would have been very different from what we have now. There was no 'nationalism' as such, just rulers vying to keep control over their territories.

I can't do anything if you 'choose' to just ignore my viewpoint.
This is pure conjecture that has no basis for in actual events. The developing and even the developed world is replete with examples of European powers thwarting one another's imperial designs. I could easily say that Tipu was the master craftsman who used the French to his advantage against the British - why should anyone not believe this conjecture? You are assuming that he would inevitably become a vassal of the French had the British been expelled. Ultimately, it's difficult if not impossible to make this conjecture because this is hypothetical.

The facts are that the British were already grounded in Bengal and elsewhere, becoming the most powerful thug in a neighbourhood of thugs. They were at severe risk of overunning the whole subcontinent at the time. The French were virtually nowhere. Now the marathas had a simple choice - assist "native Indians" or assist an established coloniser. They chose poorly....for short term gains.

Oh come on.. Don't give me Tipu Sultan or Syed Ahmed Khan.. Give me Muhammed of Ghor, Alauddin Khilji, Mohammed bin Tughlaq, Razia Sultana, Malik Akbar etc etc.

But admittingly tho making a Muhammed of Ghor featured series or movie will have to cost a ridiculous amount of budget in the range of 500 million per season if turned series topping Lord of the ring series and the same with Alauddin Khilji, Malik Akbar, or the notorious Muhammed bin Tughlaq or Aurangzeb based productions would be extremely expensive just due to the amount of military campaigns and action that took place during their life time you need a large casting plus endless amount of extras.. The Film or Movie industry has got to throw a heavy budget down or just don't do it because you can't do these legends justice. A life of a true Ghazi defines the word cinematic

About-Mamluk-dynasty-or-Slave-dynasty.png

I would love to see a TV series adaptation on the life of Muhammad of Ghor:

main-qimg-fb23c3f9dc2f39e01f16ed57807b319e.jpeg

The marathas did bend over for the British though. Bent over Jackals.
The Marathas used the British for their convenience and when they didn't, tried to dispose them. British and Marathas fought 3 wars. Tipu tried to take expand his little caliphate across South India and was slapped back to reality. An illegitimate king with a deserving end.

The Marathas used British for their convenience and when they didn't, tried to dispose them. British and Marathas fought 3 wars. Monsieur Tipu, one war, poof dead as a dodo.
then why don't you celebrate 16 wins against Ghaznavi and get all worked up by just 1 of his win?

Tipu seems to have lacked reincarnation capabilities like the Marathas

The Marathas used the British for their convenience and when they didn't, tried to dispose them. British and Marathas fought 3 wars. Tipu tried to take expand his little caliphate across South India and was slapped back to reality. An illegitimate king with a deserving end.
Keep spitting on your history. We don't care.

We also have PTV drama on Tipu Sultan, aired in late 1990s.

Thank you gonna watch it...Sanjay Khan was a gem when it came to reviving Indian History.....be it Tipu Sultan or The Great Maratha...although the Great Maratha never really captured the viral popularity of The Sword of Tipu Sultan, but it gave us great actors like Irrfan Khan and others.....Bajirao Mastani did a better justice to the Marathas
I would love to see a TV series adaptation on the life of Muhammad of Ghor:

View attachment 737421

He killed your Ghaznavi royal house

This is pure conjecture that has no basis for in actual events. The developing and even the developed world is replete with examples of European powers thwarting one another's imperial designs. I could easily say that Tipu was the master craftsman who used the French to his advantage against the British - why should anyone not believe this conjecture? You are assuming that he would inevitably become a vassal of the French had the British been expelled. Ultimately, it's difficult if not impossible to make this conjecture because this is hypothetical.
You seem to be missing my point. I have clearly said that Tipu was a king who simply wanted to defend his kingdom from the Britishers and with that objective in mind, he sought the help of French colonisers who already had their French colonies in the neighboring territories of Tipu. Apart from that, Tipu specifically targeted non-Muslims in the Malabar regions during his earlier campaigns over there (have posted articles in the earlier posts of this thread). Do both of these actions resemble those of a person with nationalistic fervor with a bizarre idea of uniting India in the 18th century in some of a democratic government? Nope. If Tipu had fought on his own while simultaneously attacking French colonies, I would have conceded that this guy was a true nationalist of that time and I myself would have been hear praising him for that. Honestly, I don't blame Tipu for his actions, he acted just like the kings during that time, the only difference is that he got killed in the battle and thus got 'martyred' for the Indian historians and Indian freedom fighters in the 19th, 20th and 21st century to suit their political agenda. I will say the same for Rani Laxmibai on whom even a movie has been made. Yes, the resistance was there but even the Marathas resisted the British unlike the Nizam (whom you conspicuously omit from your posts while pinning all the blame on the Marathas). By the way, it's not like both the Marathas and Nizam had good relations with Tipu and they suddenly attacked Tipu lol.
Now, you admiring Tipu because rockets were invented in his kingdom, fighting the British, being brave is not what I'm contesting. You repeatedly seem to deflect my points and say something of your own.

Coming to the hypothesis part, my hypothesis sounds more probable based on the way the foreign colonizers acquired Indian territories.
The facts are that the British were already grounded in Bengal and elsewhere, becoming the most powerful thug in a neighbourhood of thugs. They were at severe risk of overunning the whole subcontinent at the time. The French were virtually nowhere. Now the marathas had a simple choice - assist "native Indians" or assist an established coloniser. They chose poorly....for short term gains.
It wasn't a simple choice where you are again imposing your 21st century understandings on 18th century rulers. If Marathas and Nizam already had good relations with Tipu (which they didn't have) and suddenly decided to attack Tipu, then I might have agreed with you.

I'm resting my case here and don't expect a further reply on this topic.

Says the folks who are gonna make movies on "our" history.
Eh? We can make movies on whatsoever we like. Besides, as per @KedarT "India" as a national concept did not exist. This was an era of rival city states, each competing against each other and numerous external threats. Tipu showed consistency against the British (the greatest threat to all local powers), while the marathas gleefully sold their services to the highest bidder. By the way @KedarT I agree wholly with your assertions that these entities were independent in their objectives and designs. I simply commented on one king being consistent in his approach.

Eh? We can make movies on whatsoever we like. Besides, as per @KedarT "India" as a national concept did not exist. This was an era of rival city states, each competing against each other and numerous external threats. Tipu showed consistency against the British (the greatest threat to all local powers), while the marathas gleefully sold their services to the highest bidder. By the way @KedarT I agree wholly with your assertions that these entities were independent in their objectives and designs. I simply commented on one king being consistent in his approach.
Who said you can't, I simply mocked the idea of you making a movie on us. Speaking of Tipu, his kingdom was never legitimate to begin with, because he was too scared of a revolt, he kept the real kings of Mysore as Titular holders. Tipu and Hyder collaborated with the French to attack Nizams, Tipu sent emissaries and gifts to Napolean who declined the sos due to European politics.

Tipu showed how not to rule a country and conduct diplomacy by making enemies all around you and hoping for someone thousands of miles and two oceans away to bail you out. In the end trying to please whatever and whoever there is, thinking his luck would change. My biases and enemity aside, Tipu was without friends and Tipu's actions actually accelerated the colonization with Kings joining hands with the British.

Who said you can't, I simply mocked the idea of you making a movie on us. Speaking of Tipu, his kingdom was never legitimate to begin with, because he was too scared of a revolt, he kept the real kings of Mysore as Titular holders. Tipu and Hyder collaborated with the French to attack Nizams, Tipu sent emissaries and gifts to Napolean who declined the sos due to European politics.

Tipu showed how not to rule a country and conduct diplomacy by making enemies all around you and hoping for someone thousands of miles and two oceans away to bail you out. In the end trying to please whatever and whoever there is, thinking his luck would change. My biases and enemity aside, Tipu was without friends and Tipu's actions actually accelerated the colonization with Kings joining hands with the British.
Listen buddy....Mans wanted the gold in your grandpapa's temple. That's all. Tipu gets paid. Paratha gets played.

Back
Top Bottom