What's new

Why there are no powerful Punjabi Muslims from History?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am observing this thread for any racial flaming and this may end up closed.
However there is an odd irony.
The region did infact play passageway to all invasions from Alexander to Babur..
Yet, it was the region that suffered the most during partition and has the greatest "enmity" factor between the two sides of the border.

Yaaar my own assessment is that, the Punjabis, didn't have a common collective consciousness needed to imbue a sense of Nationhood in them till much later. They were living their lives, singing their songs & toiling their fields like every Nation but they didn't have a sense of who they are, where they come from & the fierce sense of independence that realization breeds - a little like how the Pukhtoons have had it since as far back as we know ! They've always been very....very conscious of their Pukhtoon Identity, sometimes to the point of borderline racism, but thats what bred that fierce....fierce sense of Independence & Nationhood that the Punjabis were lacking.

Has little to do with Punjabi sentiments.. It targets a race and I despise racism. WE all make fun of Sardarjis and Pathans and Iyers and so on with jokes. But where bigotry steps in its time to quell it.

And you seem to be suggesting that there are no Punjabi Muslims in India?

No I am not suggesting any thing here, I know moderation is tough job, similar kind of professionalism is much appreciated in other threads related to India bashing as well.

Muslims were not divided back than that's why they ruled India......... Muslims pride calling themselves Muslims than Punjabi,Pukhtoon.............. ethnic division doesn't matter in Islam.

Many Punjabi Muslims were there in Mughal army.

No I am not suggesting any thing here, I know moderation is tough job, similar kind of professionalism is much appreciated in other threads related to India bashing as well.

With the number of posts and reports. It is very difficult to moderate each and everything keeping every body's opinion in mind.
The entire admin team works hard but it's extremely difficult(or rather impossible) to satisfy each and every member, nationality, political-view, religious view and so on whilst ensuring the forum's official "Positive Pakistan image" policy.

Being a Punjabi, I can tell you that speaking of the contemorary Punjabi consciousness: there is no idea of nationhood. Punjabis see themselves more of a part of a greater or more localised group then an independent group itself: e.g. being rajput (here in PK), being Pakistani, being Muslim and so on. They do not have the sense of a 'self' nation and thus not a fiercer record when it comes to being analysed as an ethic group. The Sikhs developed that and integrated their Punjabi identity with faith and thus, showed much more resilience in the power dynamics. For the rest of Punjabis that STILL hasn't come about. I point to case that Punjabis are the worst suppressed group of Pakistan: despite being half of Pakistan they still cannot speak their language nor promote it freely as an official one. The latest generation of Punjabis faces a double subjugation: one by English and another by Urdu and thus much of Punjab is no longer Punjab as it does not have a sense of Punjabi identity or belonging. This extends to History as well.

It's funny how Muslim invaders from Afghanistan and Uzbekistan found little or no resistance from places like Punjab ( both Pakistani and Indian parts ) as well as Haryana during their invasions.

Both these regions are jatt/jaat and gujjar dominated . These people are known to be strong and fighters. Even today that is the case.In fact the invaders found much more resistance from Rajputs of Rajasthan.

Anyway, Raja Puru (Porus) , the rulers of Sikh empire and Bhagat Singh have saved the Punjabi pride somewhat if you look at history.

I think it is to do with terrain of the region.

For example North-East India a forest covered region , has remained insulated from foreign invasions until British entry.

Rajputs for long were indomitable because of the hostile desert terrain.

You guys all forget who Zia Ul Haq was?

:rofl:

My tribe always been *** kickers.

Has little to do with Punjabi sentiments.. It targets a race and I despise racism. WE all make fun of Sardarjis and Pathans and Iyers and so on with jokes. But where bigotry steps in its time to quell it.

And you seem to be suggesting that there are no Punjabi Muslims in India?

I think it has little to do with racism but with curiosity. Pakistani Punjabis consider themselves the Martial race. One is just trying to find the historical validity of that claim.

every place/race has their beauty, weaknesses & strengths in some fields its more & in some its less , Punjab has a rich history in romance, architecture, saints, agricultures its after all the land of heer-ranjha, & sohni-mahiwal ,like that when it comes to fighting, ruling, conquering the Pashtuns, Turks , Raj puts, Mongols, Arabs are good , just like that when it comes to sophistications, intellectualism, manners,culture the Persians are good, then when it comes to discipline, hard work the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, are good , like that when it comes to planning, time table, managements the west is good & when it comes to looks & fashion the French, & Italians takes the cake, so on & so forth , so as I said earlier every place/race has their own beauty, weaknesses & strengths

I think it has little to do with racism but with curiosity. Pakistani Punjabis consider themselves the Martial race. One is just trying to find the historical validity of that claim.

It's not about being Martial, it is about being 'powerful' as the post's title says. This is derailing the issue; you'd find a lot of Punjabi warriors from Pakistan, soldiers, not big shots that have done many brave feats.

My tribe was in Mughal army.

However, in the ancient, Mughal and Sikh periods, Arains had held prominent positions, such as governors and army generals. Many gotras, or sub-clans, of the Arains bear names that indicate soldiering as an occupation. For example: Ghalar, Gahgeer and Goheer (ferocious horse of armoured corps), Gatku (fencer), Kavali (soldier patrolling while others rest), Basroo (observation post), Bahman (brave, uncontrollable or insurmountable), Bhaila (alms-keeper who walks with the commander when he is giving away alms after a victory), Daulay (those who got land in return for military services), Khatora (spy), Ramay (archers), Rattay (bloody, red, ferocious fighters), Ramday (red -eyed soldiers), Labanay (an army column equipped with batons), Jatalay (victors), Qutub Shahi: (soldiers or their offspring who accompanied Qutubuddin Aibak), Sappal (marksmen), Bahalwan (driver of a chariot), Mudh (logisticians supplying logistics and reinforcement to the army), Teerandaz (archers), Katarband (users of katar, a weapon used by ancient armies) and Bhutto (dwellers of high places).

http://www.apnaorg.com/articles/news-33/

Somebody here want some attention :raise:

On topic, The reason for lack of unity among Punjabi's is influx of various genes from all over S.Asia, The river basin is the main reason for that, Until Sikhism started.

yeh, someone from mogli army......

You won't find it funny if you look at it from geographical and majority's profession perspective. Punjab is a flat land with dominant majority associated with farming. Neither the regions geography provides any support to warring activity nore the general profession, and by nature Punjabis are not inclined towards creating controversies and conflicts, they are hard working people with good sense of humor and enjoy life.

It's funny how Muslim invaders from Afghanistan and Uzbekistan found little or no resistance from places like Punjab ( both Pakistani and Indian parts ) as well as Haryana during their invasions.

Both these regions are jatt/jaat and gujjar dominated . These people are known to be strong and fighters. Even today that is the case.In fact the invaders found much more resistance from Rajputs of Rajasthan.

Anyway, Raja Puru (Porus) , the rulers of Sikh empire and Bhagat Singh have saved the Punjabi pride somewhat if you look at history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom