What's new

Being a Pakistani abroad.

Jihad

Reaction score
Being a Pakistani abroad
BY MEHMUDAH REHMAN ON AUGUST 20TH, 2011

—Photo Illustration by Faraz Aamer Khan/Dawn.com
290x230-beingabroadistani.jpg

‘Where are you from?’ is generally the first question people here in the Emirates will ask you. That is because with people from over a 100 nationalities settled in the UAE, this is quite literally, the melting pot of cultures – (melting pot of course would also refer to soaring mercury levels!)

When you meet people through work, or friends or merely at the park or at a mosque and if you do strike a friendship, this question, like I said features quite early in the conversation. The other day, I met a girl at the mosque and when I asked where she was from, she said, “I was born and bred in the UAE and have been here all my life.” I could easily make out that she wasn’t a local Emarati, so I wondered aloud if she was in fact a local. To this the girl replied abashedly and almost grinding her teeth, “Well, my parents hail from Pakistan, but I’ve never really lived there,” she added defensively. So the girl was a Pakistani herself, because as is common knowledge, Arab countries do not grant their nationality upon you even you’ve lived in their country for generations, or if indeed you are born on their lands.

In a place like the United States or Canada, where one does eventually receive citizenship, many Pakistanis with foreign passports refer to themselves as ‘Americans’ or ‘Canadians’. A Pakistani woman I know who settled in Sydney a few years ago insists that she hails from Down Under. I personally don’t understand this. Just because someone owns something other than that green passport, does it change their roots?

I have often come across Western educated Pakistanis who after being born and brought up in the Pakistan have left it and have settled in the US or UK. They now read Urdu with a perplexed expression on their faces, almost as though it were ‘cool’ to stutter whilst reading Urdu, because you ‘forgot’ it.

It seems mystifying at first, the fact that sometimes Pakistanis abroad do anything to conceal their nationality. It should be noted that I am not making a generalisation here as there are some Pakistanis abroad (myself amongst them) who are perfectly happy and proud of being Pakistani, and couldn’t care less about what anyone would think. They read Urdu with zeal and are glad to say that they belong to Pakistan.

However, I have also encountered quite a few who seem to think being connected to the land is one of their greatest misfortunes. As we look further into this behaviour, we realise that they do have valid reasons. First after 9/11 and more recently the OBL Drama in A-bot-a-baad, Pakistanis especially in the West are looked down upon. The word ‘terrorist’ hovers around and a balanced person with a fairly harmless agenda in life is looked upon with scepticism. A Pakistani friend who moved to the United States from Dubai now tells anyone who asks that she is from the UAE, even domestic help she plans to hire on an hourly basis, because personal experience has taught her that saying ‘Pakistani’ will invite needless suspicion from just about anyone.

In the UAE, I can personally vouch for the fact that anyone who is not a local (Emarati) or a gora, is subject to some kind of prejudice, and Pakistanis too are scrutinized in a circumspect manner.

With the current situation in Pakistan, where nearly every day one wakes up to the horrifying news that there was a bomb blast in such and such place, and with our infamous track-record, not to mention our political leaders, the wariness people sometimes feel around Pakistanis is somewhat justified. But the fact that an entire nationality is shown disrespect, for the misdeeds of a few bad eggs, is very unfortunate. These are tough times to be a Pakistani. You are stopped at the airport and questioned ruthlessly, you are looked down upon in other countries and the word terrorist seems to be on everyone’s mind.

One wistfully thinks of how wonderful it would be if being Pakistani was once more considered a privilege rather than an unlucky aberration. This land was acquired with lots of hard work and struggles by honourable men and women. Cynicism, I realize is a staple in our people but the fact is that we need to believe, in ourselves and in our country. We as the youth need to know that Pakistan, with its indomitable spirit may yet rise again, and that it is us who can make a real difference.

Mehmudah Rehman is a Dubai-based freelance writer who blogs at Ummanaal’s Musings.

The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Very true, this writer is spot on!

Despite the difficult times we are in, we mustn't lose hope.
Always be proud of our roots and identity, even when living abroad.

Nothing comes close to your own home.

Mehmudah Rehman has written down an excellent piece. :tup:

Your roots give you your identity..never forget them.

"Janm bhumi swarg se kayi haseen hai"

Esee liyay hu kehat hain, 'humaray altaf bhai Pakistani hain pooray kay pooray, british passport in ki roots change nahi kar sakat hai' :P

Esee liyay hu kehat hain, 'humaray altaf bhai Pakistani hain pooray kay pooray, british passport in ki roots change nahi kar sakat hai' :P

usko apni roots ka waise pata koe nahi hai... :laugh:

Pakistanis here make a size able chunk of the Muscat population. Truck industry and heavy machinery is run by Pakistanis. I did receive the same kind of an eye before as well, early on. But now, people think of Pakistani well, most of them anyway. There is more respect here for them than say Europe. But still, there is a different kind of treatment given to a Pakistani than an other person.The driving license is a big issue if you ar of Asian descent, but if a gora needs it, he will most probably get it ASAP.

Pakistanis here make a size able chunk of the Muscat population. Truck industry and heavy machinery is run by Pakistanis. I did receive the same kind of an eye before as well, early on. But now, people think of Pakistani well, most of them anyway. There is more respect here for them than say Europe. But still, there is a different kind of treatment given to a Pakistani than an other person.The driving license is a big issue if you ar of Asian descent, but if a gora needs it, he will most probably get it ASAP.

Bhai gora always gets 'supreme' treatment all over the world. If our MNA goes to US he even has to take his shoes off for security purposes.

I dont know why these arab countries give nationalities to others, even if you spend whole life there.

No offence to any one but need to !!Agree!! with this part.

No offence but how are you so sure?

I have travelled in and out of UAE 8 times during the last one and a half year, six times alone and twice with my family from Dubai and Abu Dhabi, never once have i been stopped for even an extra question. We Pakistani's tend to have the "Chor ke darhi main tinka" feeling which makes us conscious about ourselves and maybe that is what the security personnel notice and stop us for. If you are comfortable with who you are and self-confident no body will stop you unless its routine checking. I always say "Pakistani" before the question goes beyond "Are you!!" because an average person cannot differentiate between Indians and Pakistanis and don’t like to be associated with India even by mistake (No offense to any one).

no offense meant to any pakistani member here but i know that they are looked upon as terrorist . but what are you guys trying to do to change this wrongful perception? one of the fundamental rules is self realization that you have a problem . but it looks like to me any one who says that is considered a Pakistani basher or a indian sympathizer and he probably takes money from RAW MOSSAD OR THE CIA .

now i could be wrong but its my perception . do correct me if i am wrong . also i posted this not meaning to offend any one.

No offence but how are you so sure?

I have travelled in and out of UAE 8 times during the last one and a half year, six times alone and twice with my family from Dubai and Abu Dhabi, never once have i been stopped for even an extra question. We Pakistani's tend to have the "Chor ke darhi main tinka" feeling which makes us conscious about ourselves and maybe that is what the security personnel notice and stop us for. If you are comfortable with who you are and self-confident no body will stop you unless its routine checking. I always say "Pakistani" before the question goes beyond "Are you!!" because an average person cannot differentiate between Indians and Pakistanis and don’t like to be associated with India even by mistake (No offense to any one).

actually i know what you mean . i was stopped in Denver . its only once they saw my passport was Indian did they let me go ahead . i guess it did not help i had a small french beard .

Bhai gora always gets 'supreme' treatment all over the world. If our MNA goes to US he even has to take his shoes off for security purposes.

I dont know why these arab countries give nationalities to others, even if you spend whole life there.

Oman, has very strict protocol regarding nationality. First up, you have to be living in the country for 25 years at a stretch, and speak Arabic fluently in the arab accent. These people are very concerned that Omani culture will fade away if nationality is given to more people.

I see what you are saying F86 Sabre. I have not been stopped at check points all my life, but that is not the main point. The society sees you with what kind of an attitude is what matters IMO.

actually i know what you mean . i was stopped in Denver . its only once they saw my passport was Indian did they let me go ahead . i guess it did not help i had a small french beard .

You carry around your passport all the time? Very strange....

Most Pakistanis I have met and know are perfectly proud of their heritage.

Back
Top Bottom