What's new

Being a Pakistani abroad.

no offense meant to any pakistani member here but i know that they are looked upon as terrorist . but what are you guys trying to do to change this wrongful perception?

If someone who paint all Pakistani with same brush and consider Pakistani as terrorist then he is the one who need to change his perception and he is the one who need to come out of ignorance, prejudice and bigotry and there is nothing much you can do to help him if he is not willing to get rid of his ignorance :)

The other day, I met a girl at the mosque and when I asked where she was from, she said, “I was born and bred in the UAE and have been here all my life.” I could easily make out that she wasn’t a local Emarati, so I wondered aloud if she was in fact a local. To this the girl replied abashedly and almost grinding her teeth, “Well, my parents hail from Pakistan, but I’ve never really lived there,” she added defensively. So the girl was a Pakistani herself, because as is common knowledge, Arab countries do not grant their nationality upon you even you’ve lived in their country for generations, or if indeed you are born on their lands.
Dude you cannot teach patriotism to peoples. You cannot dictate them that how they should feel towards their religion or country of origin/birth as this feeling is something which comes from deep heart and vary from person to person. If someone is born and grow up outside Pakistan and don't feel that sense of attachment with Pakistan which you are feeling then there is nothing you can do except giving him lecture and posting such articles on forums to get rid of your anger and frustration. I leave such peoples so that they can realize it from their personal experiences :)

I always proudly proclaim to people as to where I am from, it helps drive away stereotypes and I make sure that I clear any misconceptions that people may have.

Once my University lecturer gave a long lecture just on Pakistan after I had met him earlier in the week where we discussed the work I was doing.

What really gets to me though is when you have to explain to some foreign girl the problems of Pakistan in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It just kills the entire mood.

But you have to carry on, there was once a time Pakistan was seen as mysterious and cultured, wish I living in that time.

Oh well.

It seems mystifying at first, the fact that sometimes Pakistanis abroad do anything to conceal their nationality

Maybe the fact is that some embrace their 'new' nationality.

Does it make sense, if you portray someone as Pakistani, while

- she/he was born in other country than Pakistan
- she/he speaks the local language(s) better than Urdu (or maybe not at all?)
- she/he does goes for example to an Emirate school, while never seen the inside of a Pakistani school
- pays taxes as a British (example) citizen, goes to work in Britain, has British benefits, make use of British health services, while non of the Pakistani counterparts
- he or she votes in Britain
- he or has a British pass-port and no Pakistani pass-port

Does it makes sense to call someone like this a Pakistani national? So what relations has she with the state or government of Pakistan, besides the fact the the only thing connecting her to Pakistan is, is her parents being Pakistani nationals!

Maybe the fact is that some embrace their 'new' nationality.

Does it make sense, if you portray someone as Pakistani, while

- she/he was born in other country than Pakistan
- she/he speaks the local language(s) better than Urdu (or maybe not at all?)
- she/he does goes for example to an Emirate school, while never seen the inside of a Pakistani school
- pays taxes as a British (example) citizen, goes to work in Britain, has British benefits, make use of British health services, while non of the Pakistani counterparts
- he or she votes in Britain
- he or has a British pass-port and no Pakistani pass-port

Does it makes sense to call someone like this a Pakistani national? So what relations has she with the state or government of Pakistan, besides the fact the the only thing connecting her to Pakistan is, is her parents being Pakistani nationals!

This is an ideal condition. However, its not common to see an Israeli or say, an Indian attempt to hide their nationality/motherland/ethnicity. Perhaps this is what drove them to create such an article...?

This is an ideal condition. However, its not common to see an Israeli or say, an Indian attempt to hide their nationality/motherland/ethnicity. Perhaps this is what drove them to create such an article...?

I know of indians who have gone totally native especially in Canada and the UK - it is difficult to generalize - in the UK and the Emirates when Pakistan play cricket, even the British born Pakistanis tend to support Pakistan rather than England. Amir Khan is a case in point a British boxer who is very active and proud of his roots.

Gentlemen,

You people talk as if pakistanis are the only people having issues abroad--there are myriads of nationalities here in u s----and they all have the similiar issues as the pakistani abroad do---. To single out pakistani is not fair and proper---.

Living in the u s I have learnt---you never question as to what the person wants to identify his or her's self with---be it the new found identity or the old roots---people make their choices of what they want to be---. We all need to respect that----.

As for me----here is a stanza

Yahan tangi 'a' qafas hai
wahan fiqar 'a' ashiana
nan yahan mera thikana
nan wahan mera thikana

Truthfully---pakistan and I have walked away form each others ideology and persona----even though pakistan is still my identity and motherland----being away from it for so long----and hardly any interaction with pakistanis for close to thirty years---what can be expected.

A lots of pakistanis have identity crisis about those pakistanis who want to enjoy their new found identities---I reccommend----please let them be who they want to be---don't make fun or insult---enjoy their diversity----. They are you assets in other countries----they are your bank draft---a cashier's check that you cash when you need it the most-----. Maybe a little more respect is needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom