What's new

Can all pakistanis Speak Punjabi?

Yup I'm a Punjabi, And can speak, understand Punjabi. Well Punjabi has changed Over the time, Due to many parents speaking Urdu with their children. And if a Child Learns Punjabi then he can not speak with the correct dialect, He speaks Punjabi with Urdu Dialect. Hardcore Punjab with correct dialect is speak in Southern Punjab areas like Chakwal, Jhelum or Inner Lahore Areas like Bhatti Gate areas.

That's why The Urdu speaking people of Karachi and Lahore has different dialects when they speak Urdu.

Omar above me is completly right, A Karachiite can not distinguish a person is punjabi or not. Because they don't mix dialect of Punjabi while speaking Urdu. Dialect of speaking Punjabi and Urdu is not mixed

No punjabi but nearly 90% can communicate through Urdu ;) thats why its our National language :smitten:

I am ethnically a Punjabi Pakistani (like almost half of Pakistan's population) and I dont see any reason to learn this useless language.

Urdu, Arabic, and English are important languages to learn. Urdu to communicate with fellow Pakistanis. Arabic to learn the Holy Quran. English because its a universal language and most univeristies and colleges in Pakistan teach in English. Punjabi has no use in today's society.

No language is useless, & I'm a pretty fluent Punjabi speaker despite being an "Urdu speaker". I'm proud of the fact that I can speak Punjabi. I even taught myself Gujarati living with Gujjus here in America. Although of course I'd love to learn Arabic, Spanish & French.

Omar above me is completly right, A Karachiite can not distinguish a person is punjabi or not. Because they don't mix dialect of Punjabi while speaking Urdu. Dialect of speaking Punjabi and Urdu is not mixed

I cant find his comments, but as a Khiite I am beginning to even point out where from the Punjab a person if from from their accent in Urdu, and obviously when they say a line in their Punjabi dialect.

I am ethnically a Punjabi Pakistani (like almost half of Pakistan's population) and I dont see any reason to learn this useless language.

Urdu, Arabic, and English are important languages to learn. Urdu to communicate with fellow Pakistanis. Arabic to learn the Holy Quran. English because its a universal language and most univeristies and colleges in Pakistan teach in English. Punjabi has no use in today's society.

Hardly inspiring man, calling a language useless. If for nothing but, a language is important because it gives you that unique sense of culture and history, the literature etc.

Ever heard somebody call Pushto a useless language, even though by your criteria it is even less useful than Punjabi.

Punjabi music rocks! Almost all the famous Pakistani musicians have songs in Punjabi. For the record, the most viewed Pakistani songs on you-tube are also in Punjabi
Amplifier-Imran Khan, exceeding 17 million views

Mein Tenuu-Rahat, over 9 millon views

Last edited by a moderator:
But it is a useless language in today's society. In most cities in Punjab, people speak Urdu.

The only place Punjabi is useful is if you go to rural areas in Punjab, and even there most people can comprehend some urdu.

I don't know how you define word" useless". I feel strange that you are Punjabi and you find Punjabi as useless language. Punjabi is my mother tongue and i don't feel shame speaking punjabi. I prefer to speak Punjabi with those who cannot understand Urdu. I love all sufiana kalam in Punjabi languages and there are great Punjabi poets and songs. I also love to learn all local languages of Pakistan. I understand Siraeki , hindko, pothwari, some words of pashtu and sindhi and dude no ethnic language is useless :)

Punjabi music rocks! Almost all the famous Pakistani musicians have songs in Punjabi. For the record, the most viewed Pakistani songs on you-tube are also in Punjabi
Amplifier-Imran Khan, exceeding 17 million views

Mein Tenuu-Rahat, over 9 millon views

Pssst...the 9 million views are due to the hot chicken...not Punjabi

I don't know how you define word" useless". I feel strange that you are Punjabi and you find Punjabi as useless language. Punjabi is my mother tongue and i don't feel shame speaking punjabi. I prefer to speak Punjabi with those who cannot understand Urdu. I love all sufiana kalam in Punjabi languages and there are great Punjabi poets and songs. I also love to learn all local languages of Pakistan. I understand Siraeki , hindko, pothwari, some words of pashtu and sindhi and dude no ethnic language is useless :)

Raja izh Potohari? ;)

Though the pothari dialect of Punjabi is very difficult to understand sometimes even for those people who speak other dialects of Punjabi.

I agree with you . Although its easy for pothwari peoples to understand other dialects of punjabi but Pothwari is considered punjabi

I agree with you . Although its easy for pothwari peoples to understand other dialects of punjabi but Pothwari is considered punjabi

While it is easier for Potwari people to understand Punjabi speakers, the converse is not true. Potwari/Pahari/Hindko are similar to Punjabi in many ways (sound similarish), but they are still different from Punjabi, just as Saraiki is different from Punjabi. The true Punjabi is spoken from the areas between Faisalabad & Lahore/Sialkot in Pakistan, the other areas of Punjab have either Saraiki, Potwari or some other dialect, which is a bit similar but also pretty different from true Punjabi.

I think most Pakistanis understand Urdu

Punjabi is widely spoken all over Pakistan but thats like 50-70% of the public who could understand Punjabi. Urdu is spoken by almost everybody in Punjab and Sindh and also other parts of the country (although only 7% people in Pakistan recognize Urdu as their first language)

I think Urdu is more commonly spoken by the educated people in Pakistan.
Otherwise Punjabi will remain a regional language in Pakistan, just like Sindhi, Balochi, and Pashto.

While it is easier for Potwari people to understand Punjabi speakers, the converse is not true. Potwari/Pahari/Hindko are similar to Punjabi in many ways, but it is still different from Punjabi, just as Saraiki is different from Punjabi.

yes i agree that some words of Pothwari is difficult to understand but Pothwar is region in punjab and spoken in surrounding areas of rawalpindi, azad kashmir..here is typical pothwari song :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom