What's new

Can all pakistanis Speak Punjabi?

yes i agree that some words of Pothwari is difficult to understand but Pothwar is region in punjab and spoken in surrounding areas of rawalpindi, azad kashmir

I believe Potwari is spoken in Rawalpindi, Pahari/Mirpuri (which is pretty similar to Potwari) is spoken in Azad Kashmir, Hindko is spoken in Abbottabad & the Hazara regions of Pakistan. All three are similar to Punjabi in many ways, but also different in plenty of ways. Some might consider these three (Potwari, Pahari, Hindko) as a dialect of Punjabi, I wouldn't call it as such. There are even a few differences between themselves. Potwari is not exactly the same as Pahari, but both are very very similar.

Am Punjabi .. i do speak and understand ..:yahoo:... i myself started speaking Punjabi a few years back,, its a lovely Language ... friendly language .... ofcourse its not a mama papa burger language .. pure desi :):pakistan:

I believe Potwari is spoken in Rawalpindi, Pahari (which is pretty similar to Potwari) is spoken in Azad Kashmir, Hindko is spoken in Abbottabad & the Hazara regions of Pakistan. All three are similar to Punjabi in many ways, but also different in plenty of ways. Some might consider these three (Potwari, Pahari, Hindko) as a dialect of Punjabi, I wouldn't call it as such. There are even a few differences between themselves. Potwari is not exactly the same as Pahari, but both are very very similar.

To be honest i dont find much difference between hindku/mirpuri and pothwari. I have hindko and kashmiri friends and when we talk to each others in these languages i don't find any difference.

Potwari (پوٹھوهاری (Shahmukhi), also known as Potohari پوٹھواری), is a Lahnda language spoken in the Pothohar Plateau around Rawalpindi, Kahuta, Gujar Khan, Jehlum, up to Gujrat in the south and Chakwal in the West, Hazara in the north and in Mirpur Azad Kashmir in the east and also by Sikhs from Pothohar region now living in India. It is related to the Punjabi and is considered a transitional dialect between Lahnda and Pahari. It is often referred to as Pahari-Potwari. Semi Dialects include Dhundi-Kairali, Chibhali, Mirpuri, Jhelumi, Pindiwali and Punchhi (Poonchi). Speakers of Pahari-Pothwari can understand spoken Punjabi, however the opposite is difficult in terms of comprehension. Pahari is translated as 'mountain' in the Potwari language and its use is prevalent in Azad Jammu and Kashmir. There are slight variations in the vocabulary with regards to the Potwari speaks of the west on the Potohar plateau and the speakers on the east in the Pakistani-administered Azad Jammu and Kashmir

Potwari language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am fluent in Punjabi although spent my life in Karachi.

I am ethnically a Punjabi Pakistani (like almost half of Pakistan's population) and I dont see any reason to learn this useless language.

Urdu, Arabic, and English are important languages to learn. Urdu to communicate with fellow Pakistanis. Arabic to learn the Holy Quran. English because its a universal language and most univeristies and colleges in Pakistan teach in English. Punjabi has no use in today's society.

Kissay di baisti karan lai, aiston changi keri zabaan ay?

Hardcore Punjab with correct dialect is speak in Southern Punjab areas like Chakwal, Jhelum or Inner Lahore Areas like Bhatti Gate areas.

South Punjab areas like Multan, Muzaffargarh, Bahawalpur speak Siraiki, which is basically almost not Punjabi at all. Its origins may be a mix of Punjabi/Sindhi but pretty much a new language.

Chakwal and Jhelum are not in South Punjab.

South Punjab areas like Multan, Muzaffargarh, Bahawalpur speak Siraiki, which is basically almost not Punjabi at all. Its origins may be a mix of Punjabi/Sindhi but pretty much a new language.

Chakwal and Jhelum are not in South Punjab.

Siraiki is very much similar to punjabi!!!

I can speak punjabi and understand siraiki as well.

It is also true that majority of punjabis can speak urdu!!!

And for your information almost half of the pakistanis speak punjabi Pakistan - Linguistic and Ethnic Groups

assalam alaikum

Brother i m punjabi and it is very hard for me to understand siraiki. i wish if i can understand it

TARIQ

Solve your problem like i solved!!! make siraiki friends and try to communicate with them!!!

Acha Siraiki, Siraiki main bhi farak hai. I think the one from Multan is still a bit more understandable, but also only in bits and pieces. Muzaffargarh and Bahawalpur ki toh poori sarke ooper se guzar jaati hai. To compound the problem, when they speak with us, they would prefer to speak in Punjabi (they can speak proper Punjabi). Karsu, Chuksu, Du, karne se Siraiki thori bolni ajati hai. I can understand only in bits. Personally I've concluded and the Siraiki speaking Punjabis say the same, its a different language.

Siraiki mein bhi different accents hain? wasay ye mujhe nahi pata tha!!!

And my siraiki friend is from multan!!!

Kissay di baisti karan lai, aiston changi keri zabaan ay?

in some book of Tarar he reported that he was in England at some Pakistani shop, while he was at the shop he saw another Pakistani entering the shop, seeing him the shop keeper started abusing full fledge in Punjabi...and the other pakistani with same vigorous manner replied, for quite a few time they exchanged maa behan conversation and then huged... excusing Tarar for this, the shop keeper said Tarar sahib tusi tay janday ho, athay moun vinga chiba ker angrezi bolni pendi aye, punjabi bolan nu taras janday aan, te asi dost anj aik dujay nu galan kad ke moun sidha karnay aan.

punjabi chay gaal kado te....... aho !!

I can speak Punjabi fluently and I can understand it as well !!!

But how many Pakistanis (you Punjabis) can read Punjabi "fluently" :azn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom