What's new

Security beefed up in Islamabad as Lal Masjid cleric vows to restart 'Sharia Law' campaign

The same battle described in this editorial is being carried out in virtual miniature right here on PDF too:

Crafting a narrative - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

Crafting a narrative
EDITORIAL

IT did not take long for the extreme right to sense an opportunity to claw back some space. At an event held on Thursday at the Darul Uloom Haqqania, clerics excoriated Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif for describing this country as “liberal” and called upon the Supreme Court to take suo motu notice of his statement. According to the Haqqania madressah’s head Maulana Samiul Haq, the term “liberal Pakistan” was a violation of the nation’s ideology and he called upon religious leaders to put pressure on the government to implement an Islamic system in the country. Among the participants were several other ‘leading lights’ that occupy the ultraconservative niche on the ideological spectrum. These included Maulana Fazlur Rehman Khalil and Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, founders of the banned organisations Harkat-ul-Mujahideen and Lashkar-e-Taiba, respectively.

It would perhaps be academic to point out that the prime minister had made use of the word “liberal” at an investment conference in the context of the country’s economy, not to describe Pakistani society. Right-wing ideologues such as Maulana Samiul Haq — also known as the father of the Afghan Taliban — and others are chafing under what they perceive as curtailment of the clergy’s influence compared to the carte blanche they enjoyed before the military action against terrorist sanctuaries located in the north. In the months leading up to the operation, they had positioned themselves as no less than brokers of peace between the Pakistani Taliban and the government. The attack on Karachi airport put an end to that farcical exercise; and the massacre at APS Peshawar on Dec 16 brought home, in the most horrific way possible, the consequences of the decades-long policy of co-opting religious extremists as a tool of statecraft. The National Action Plan approved in the aftermath of that tragedy includes measures that the right wing is loath to concede to, such as the regulation of madressahs; and raids on some of these institutions have caused much resentment. The religious lobby is hitting back in the only way it can — by creating a false equivalence between liberality and moral depravity, between secularism and a repudiation of faith. It is the classic ploy to stoke the fears of a naturally conservative society.

However, while the right wing has fashioned its narrative to suit the circumstances, the government is falling short. There is confusion all around, not least because some of the state’s own actions demonstrate a reluctance to completely discard its old ways. Instead, ‘assets’ that toe the line continue to remain untouched, at liberty to undermine democracy and democratic values, and subvert the tentative counter-narrative that is beginning to emerge. We stand at an important crossroads, where prevarication is no answer. The government must take up the gauntlet and define once and for all, in clear, unambiguous terms, the future — and dare we hope, liberal — course for this nation.

Published in Dawn, November 14th, 2015

For the Ijma or Ijtehads will be needed for even the smallest details..(which will probably run for years or even decades) And in a country where we can't sit down n celebrate eid on the same day .. That would be impossible ..

Now Islam stresses importance in education n learning Aswell as modern interpretations according to the time.. So if some fukwits ask about 4 witnessed for rape .. That would be fukin retarded Coz we have things like DNA testing/forensic sciences..

What would you make of a thief advocating strict laws to stop robberies and theft?

What would you make of a rapist advocating strict laws for stopping rapes and respecting women?

What would you make of a murderer talking of strict laws to stop murders of innocent?

What would you make of a corrupt telling others that there should be laws to have a crackdown on corruption in society and institutions?

What would you make of a driver breaking each and every traffic rule but cursing authorities for not apprehending traffic rule violators?

And many other people like these..................

Hypocrites?

And suppose if what all these people advocate comes true, who will be the first ones to face the consequences and the law? People who don't understand and value something precious, they don't deserve it in first place. Same is the case of Pakistanis (including me this Molana and his supporters at the top of the list) and Sharia.

So the problem lies both in the execution of true Sharia in a modern nation state as well as the misuse of it by those who will in all probability become the true bearers of the flame so to speak.

Is there any Muslim country in the world that follows true un-modified Sharia and does so in a workable and successful manner?

We may look at chopping of hands and head and public flogging and stoning (and hanging from construction cranes) with a degree of revulsion, but if it works and order is maintained, and the law laid out prevents crime with the promise of severe and quick punishment, why not?

It is interesting to note that neither the Saudis or the Iranians have too many internal insurgencies or terrorism in their societies.

Tough love?

Cheers, Doc

So the problem lies both in the execution of true Sharia in a modern nation state as well as the misuse of it by those who will in all probability become the true bearers of the flame so to speak.

Is there any Muslim country in the world that follows true un-modified Sharia and does so in a workable and successful manner?

None are following sharia .. Neither KSA nor Iran..

We may look at chopping of hands and head and public flogging and stoning (and hanging from construction cranes) with a degree of revulsion, but if it works and order is maintained, and the law laid out prevents crime with the promise of severe and quick punishment, why not?
Chopping hands etc may work but even for that several factors have to be taken in question.. KSA for example doesn't even have a summary trial .. They present "evidence" n there goes your neck.., so nope not gonna work here.

It is interesting to note that neither the Saudis or the Iranians have too many internal insurgencies or terrorism in their societies.

Tough love?

Cheers, Doc
KSA is a homogenous country with 99% wahabi population and a tiny oppressed shia population... Kept h see boot!

Iran pretty much same thing except they also face insurgencies in Sistan Balochistan - Sunni Baluch facing oppression ..

Pak is a multiethnic nation with several sects -- so not gonna work.

Tough love?

Cheers, Doc

Doc let me make it simple for you, the day I start practicing what Quran teaches me I will be what you can say "Sharia compliant" Pakistan, Iran, Saudi or any other as countries have nothing to do with it nor they can they ever implement it on me. To each individual he is accountable for his actions and is answerable for his deeds. If I am just in my actions, if I am fair in my dealings, if I am not interested in extramarital affairs, and if you can trust me with your belongings, if I am truthful then should I be worried about hand chopping? Flogging or stoning? If I don't operate a PLS or interest based account and straightaway prefer a current account, pay my zakat and donations in time, should I be worried about the which type of economic system government operates? Par bahi Masla yeh hay kay randi kay kohthay pay bhi jana hay aur Sharia kay naray bhi marny hain.

P.S: I don't know how but stoning and flogging is impossible unless the individual himself or herself goes public about their acts, otherwise what I do inside my house in private how can it be anyone's business or how can they know about it?

Tough love?

Cheers, Doc

There is discontent in the KSA. It is just that the authorities are far more oppressive in their ways.

None are following sharia .. Neither KSA nor Iran..

Chopping hands etc may work but even for that several factors have to be taken in question.. KSA for example doesn't even have a summary trial .. They present "evidence" n there goes your neck.., so nope not gonna work here.

KSA is a homogenous country with 99% wahabi population and a tiny oppressed shia population... Kept h see boot!

Iran pretty much same thing except they also face insurgencies in Sistan Balochistan - Sunni Baluch facing oppression ..

Pak is a multiethnic nation with several sects -- so not gonna work.
Pakistan is the second biggest shia country with sunni majority where taboos in one part like fata are totally accepted in places like karachi

We just cant agree on single code of sharia without pissing one group off

Pakistan should just concentrate on implenting justice in her society. Just that on its own would go along way in becoming "Sharia compliant".

Tough love?

Cheers, Doc

I think we got it a bit wrong here. Saudis claim to have Shariah, but in reality it’s a monarchy using the cloak of religion and also suppresses and persecutes its shia citizens. Same goes for Iran, the Sunnis are persecuted there. Both use religion extensively to govern their respective countries. However the only thing positive, due to severe punishments is that crime rates, especially in Saudi Arabia, are low. On the other hand due to obscurantist policies of the govt, there is a high level of resentment among masses over there.

Pakistan is the second biggest shia country with sunni majority where taboos in one part like fata are totally accepted in places like karachi

We just cant agree on single code of sharia without pissing one group off

So the third point I offered in my original post.

There is no ONE Sharia.

And the Saudis and Iranians get over this problem by being pretty dominantly homogeneous sect wise.

@DESERT FIGHTER yes the Iranians have the same Baloch issues you guys do. But I honestly do not think it has ever reached the scale of the Pakistani side. Has it? I admit I have not been following it closely, but basing it on what we hear on the global news. I know there is cross border tensions between Pakistan and Iran with accusations and a bit of shelling etc. There too, more from Iranian generals than Pakistani ones?

There is no ONE Sharia.

And the Saudis and Iranians get over this problem by being pretty dominantly homogeneous sect wise.

@DESERT FIGHTER yes the Iranians have the same Baloch issues you guys do. But I honestly do not think it has ever reached the scale of the Pakistani side. Has it? I admit I have not been following it closely, but basing it on what we hear on the global news. I know there is cross border tensions between Pakistan and Iran with accusations and a bit of shelling etc. There too, more from Iranian generals than Pakistani ones?

Pak - Iran issue have become much ether than the past.. That's why we are talking about investments and deals for gas,electricity,refineries and Iran joining CPEC...

The border incidents are nothing new.. It's Pak that faces a low intensity conflict in Balochistan (with stupid cunts blowing up electricity pylons or pipelines -- and even target killing of Baloch,Punjabi,Sindhi and even Pashtuns).. All that has reduced drastically - specially after the military operations -- and now nationalist leaders surrendering n holding negotiations..

Iran faces a Baloch (seperatist insuegency) which has now turned secterian in nature Jandullah etx -- which sadly is involved in terrorism on Pak side aswell.. Hence Iranian accusations.. But soon all that will become a thing of the past... Atleast on our side .

There is no ONE Sharia.

On the Iranian side, the punishments are more severe. Those Baloch who challenge the state, are openly hung in public on cranes on main roads sometimes. This deters the youth from joining these movements. Moreover Baloch who have grievances with Iran are disenchanted due to sectarianism. In Pakistan, some elements in Balochistan are disenchanted due to ethnic grievances, moreover, Pakistan didn't take coercive measures against them, until recently, the way Iran did. Once we started using punitive measures to handle them, terror leaders like Brahamdagh Bugti are now insisting upon returning to the country to join mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom