What's new

US offers help for next generation aircraft carrier

I'm slightly perplexed as to why some people can't accept this news.

The IN has said they want at least a 3 carrier navy.

There is nothing particuarly out of the blue about this news- the IN has for some time stated they are looking at a 65,000+ ton CATOBAR congfured ACC design as a follow on to the IAC-1.

They've said they'd want fixed wing AWACS (and have thus been briefed on the E-2D twice AFAIK and the USG has even cleared the sale of the E-2D to India).

Bare in mind the timeline for induction is not tommorow or even 5 years time but ~2022-4.

I think a much more interesting question to ask is where will the IN stop? 3 ACCs enough for them? IIRC a IN CNS said that ideally the IN would like 5-6 ACCs in the mid to long term. And if so will the IAC-2 design became the standard for any follow-on ACCs or will the IN draw up yet ANOTHER design possibly larger? Possibly nuclear powered? Possibly both?

Perhaps you missed what I am trying to say ....
I simply say the news is too good to be true ....

Assuming that indian economy will be back on track in next few years and that India will be able to spend little more for arther advanced US platforms this really won't be a big issue ( eventhough the US platforms are likely to cost twice as much it would cost generally ) ....the important crux is not to get involved too deep with US !

just as we maintained respectable distance with Russian despite our historic friendly ties ...we need to be more careful about US because US is no Russia .

US knows how to extract price they invested in first place ....

Don't we see what is happening in our neighborhood ?

At this juncture when china is gradually getting aggressive ..it will be tempting to get aligned with US ....
but I believe such alignment with US will be detrimental to India in long run ...

US has historic record of running over its ally and dumping them when work is done ....

We as a nation of billion people should chart our own destiny and should not put reins of our fate in another country's hands !

You see it becomes most difficult to maintain balance when ride becomes topsy-turvy !!!

I hope India will be able to maintain that balance !!!

You see my objection in not getting AC from US .....my objection is to put our fate in their hands ....!!!

@Hyperion Think they'll let me have a ride with the football in my hands? That's all I want man, think of the damage we could do. Where should the first one fall? Would love to troll the folks at USSTRATCOM.:chilli:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nerpa/Charkra and the Vikramidtya are indeed cheaper to operate unless one wants to operate a Nimitz class CVN with just 20 fixed wing platforms- which would be a severe under-utilization of a very expensive platform.
Capabilities wont come at 20 rupees or 30 rupees . And Nuclear Sub and Ac is not so cheap as u projecting it to be .. Pathetic when u said its Cheaper ... Soon India will induct 2nd Nuclear Sub fro Russia and India will will also induct 49 New War SHips .. Do u think is so Cheap ? So come On Dont give money as reason to have Our Blue water Capability . Hope u understood my point . Sure we must have atleast 4-5 Battle Groups With Atleast 30+ Subs and atleast 10 Nuclear Sub just to defence our vast Sea lane brother.

NIMITZ CLASS AC is in different league of Capability all together . Just 1 or 2 Nimitz Fire Power can Pin Down Pak Aircrafts .. Which may have nearly 150+ Fighter Jets . WHAT IS WRONG HAVING A NIMITZ CLASS if we wr offered ?

Interesting proposal, India may seek to get EMALS tech and other tech it needs; would be very interesting to see Indian reaction to this proposal.

You summed it up perfectly. Furthermore, all these initiatives are more part and parcel of US testing the viability of 'Asia-Pivot', to specifically poke China, rather than, all of a sudden developing lovey-dovey feelings for India. Interesting times ahead, I'll reserve rest of analysis for later.

At the moment what Indian should do? Milk as much tech as possible from them, as the USA is eventually going to recognize that China can not be contained, not any longer.

Aiding & Abetting the Enemy - Pataaa nahin Mir Jafar Khan kahaaan seiii @Hyperion ki roooooh meiin ghusss giyaaa haiii ! :unsure:

Lagtaaa haiii Uncle ke saaath mil kar issss Khan ko apniii Lee Enfield ka nishanaa bananaaa hiii paraiii gaaa as Uncle & I share a plate of Halwa & drink some Kehwa with it ! :D

Capabilities wont come at 20 rupees or 30 rupees . And Nuclear Sub and Ac is not so cheap as u projecting it to be .. Pathetic when u said its Cheaper ... Soon India will induct 2nd Nuclear Sub fro Russia and India will will also induct 49 New War SHips .. Do u think is so Cheap ? So come On Dont give money as reason to have Our Blue water Capability . Hope u understood my point . Sure we must have atleast 4-5 Battle Groups With Atleast 30+ Subs and atleast 10 Nuclear Sub just to defence our vast Sea lane brother.

NIMITZ CLASS AC is in different league of Capability all together . Just 1 or 2 Nimitz Fire Power can Pin Down Pak Aircrafts .. Which may have nearly 150+ Fighter Jets . WHAT IS WRONG HAVING A NIMITZ CLASS if we wr offered ?

1 or 2 Nimitz can pin down Pakistan? @Hyperion care to tell him of that day when certain Pakistani aicrafts made a flypast over a certain CVN in a certain exercise meant to breach BARCAPs.

Nothing can "pin" down the PAF's aircrafts, operational capabilities brought in by a CVN are a different matter.

The Nimitz is a different beast, for a different purpose. There is no parity between the operational cost of a Nimitz and an Akula submarine or even two. Unless running the MRO on a small ariforce is your idea of cheap.

respected member one who does not learn frm past is fool
Learning from Past is different thing from waht u said ... If you US wr enemy in the past it doesnt mean They cant be ur friends in the future . As threat preception changes too . Why US want to support Pakistan ? When India can be its profitable Ally ? Why India dont want to patner with US when it gives us much more needed protection and Weapon system ? Sure we must be Cautioned .. Not only with US but also with RUSSIANs too . Past is not Code of Conduct at times of WAR ! ! ! ... For Russia China may be more profitable ally than India incase of War with US and the West . So dreaming about the past is also foolish ! TOO

Manhoos -- did you even read between the lines? :D

Good. Now you did. Now a lakh-lanat to yourself. :P

Aiding & Abetting the Enemy - Pataaa nahin Mir Jafar Khan kahaaan seiii @Hyperion ki roooooh meiin ghusss giyaaa haiii ! :unsure:

Lagtaaa haiii Uncle ke saaath mil kar issss Khan ko apniii Lee Enfield ka nishanaa bananaaa hiii paraiii gaaa as Uncle & I share a plate of Halwa & drink some Kehwa with it ! :D

You summed it up perfectly. Furthermore, all these initiatives are more part and parcel of US testing the viability of 'Asia-Pivot', to specifically poke China, rather than, all of a sudden developing lovey-dovey feelings for India. Interesting times ahead, I'll reserve rest of analysis for later.

At the moment what India should do? Milk as much tech as possible from them, as the USA is eventually going to recognize that China can not be contained, not any longer.

That's the general idea- that's why both @Abingdonboy as well as @Indo-guy are correct in their stands- because both the POVs come together to form the policies at hand.

Define the scope and meaning of "tech" in the "milk as much tech" bit before misconceptions arise.:sick:

Manhoos -- did you even read between the lines? :D

Good. Now you did. Now a lakh-lanat to yourself. :P

We'll make a baniya out of you yet.:D
@Armstrong will forever remain a Disco Maulvi though.

Ahem ahem..... that's one heck of a wish list you got on you bro! :D

Question: With all of them khiyali-gizmos, what are you actually trying to protect? :pop:

Ahem ahem..... that's one heck of a wish list you got on you bro! :D

Question: With all of them khiyali-gizmos, what are you actually trying to protect? :pop:

Khamosh! Go chase young boys since there ain't any hotties on the forum.:angry: Oye did Hundufairy get into trouble for the finger?:cheesy:

respected member one who does not learn frm past is fool

The one's who never let go of history are even bigger fools.

USA is not our enemy, today. It needs us to balance China which unfortunately is a country with which we are not on best of our terms.

Unless you suggest that we should cede territory and respect to China, being an ally of USA, howsoever superficial is in our interest.

And shove that notion of non-alignment from the very hole that it came forth. Even strongest of the countries could not survive alone, let alone a second rate power like India.

Silence. I keeel you. Never talk about my hindugirl ever again. Nah....... nothing shall ever happen to our fairy....... :cheesy:

Khamosh! Go chase young boys since there ain't any hotties on the forum.:angry: Oye did Hundufairy get into trouble for the finger?:cheesy:

@Hyperion @arp2041 This is like old times man, when we used to crash in threads.:devil: The good old days, even Butty was here for a while. Did Mamba show up? The TWIG is hungry?:devil:

Back
Top Bottom