What's new

What does Turkey think about joining the EU??

Reaction score
Hello, my Turkish members.

I have a question. I know that currently Turkey is part of the NATO, but what do you think about EU??

Does Turkey want to join the EU? If yes, what benefit would that bring to Turkey? If no, what is preventing Turkey from Joining the EU?

Thank you.

Hello, my Turkish members.

I have a question. I know that currently Turkey is part of the NATO, but what do you think about EU??

Does Turkey want to join the EU? If yes, what benefit would that bring to Turkey? If no, what is preventing Turkey from Joining the EU?

Thank you.

Turkish enthusiasm for joining the European Union has declined sharply just in the last six years, even as the government accelerates its quest to join the bloc, a new report shows.

Support for joining the EU dropped to 38 per cent in 2010, while in 2004 a soaring 73 per cent of the Turkish public said membership would be "a good thing", according to a poll by the Italian foundation Compagnia di San Paolo and the German Marshall Fund of the United States.

Overall at this point most Turks do not support EU membership. What is preventing us from joining are other European states. Like France and Germany who do not believe Turkish integration would be possible into the EU because of our Muslim majority and immigration along with cultural differences.

U.S., U.K., Italy and Spain have been firm supporters of our membership however the majority of Europeans still oppose Turkish membership for various reasons.

Overall at this point most Turks do not support EU membership. What is preventing us from joining are other European states. Like France and Germany who do not believe Turkish integration would be possible into the EU because of our Muslim majority and immigration along with cultural differences.

U.S., U.K., Italy and Spain have been firm supporters of our membership however the majority of Europeans still oppose Turkish membership for various reasons.

Thank you for your reply.

I think right now Turkey does not want to join the EU has to do with EU's poor finicial performance. Seven years ago, EU is doing quite well with Euro gaining value. Now euro dropped 30% of its value!

This means that Turkey's desire of joining EU is soley based on gaining benifits.

If you want my opinion.
EU can suck on my Turkish hairy balls.
you know why?
EU is nothing more then us puppets,politics is so bullshit just like nato and united nations.
these groups were created to counter soviets and thats it.
i hope my country WILL NEVER join eu.
im just counting the days when euro will fall.
i had such great life in netherlands when guldens was the currency..
euro came.. goverment cuts all over the place..
jobless people all over the place..
my friends became crackheads..
everything is so expensive..
so many rules..
there is no freedom in the netherlands.
when world leaders back in the day called the ottoman empire the sick man of europe.
i call netherlands the prison of eu.

If you want my opinion.
you know why?
EU is nothing more then us puppets,politics is so bullshit just like nato and united nations.
so many rules..
when world leaders back in the day called the ottoman empire the sick man of europe.

WOW, your reply is amazing.

However, I disagree with you.

First, EU is created by the French, because the French always view themsleves as the "LEADER" of Europe. France wants Europe to unit and then counter the USA. So your claim that EU is a USA pupppet is NOT TRUE.

Second, euro will not fall. It is losing value VERY fast. But it will not fall. If it does then European encomny will be RUINED!!

The current problem with European Union is that you got some countries doing OK like France, Germany. While other are doing crappy, like Spain with 20% jobless rate, Portugal, Greece, Iceland, and Ireland. So when time is good EU looks great, but when times is bad. EU looks even worse!!

Regarding Netherland. I never beed there. But here in the USA it is the same thing. Jobless people every. All western countries are suffering this problem right now.

BTW, it is not nice that your talked that way.

:)

If you want my opinion.
you know why?
so many rules..

Oh, my dear loving Bhudda.

I should have warn him faster.

Now he is banned again.

:frown::frown:

Oh, my dear loving Bhudda.

I should have warn him faster.

Now he is banned again.

:frown::frown:

Unfortunately it's a general trait, that people let their feelings get the better of them.

EU membership is just a motivating factor for Turkey, and we're aiming for it because it allows us to improve our country on several areas. And by doing so we're hoping to attract investment. If we can get our hands on technology and companies doing R&D it'll produce good results in Turkey,

At least that's what I think. However I am also aware of how messed up it is to privatize everything, because the very core of how the west makes business is to drain every ressource from the companies they take over and run a debtridden firm. I don't believe Turkey has the necessary countermeasures to prevent that business style. And we're not economically strong like China to shrug something like that off.

Look at Norway, the richest state in the world, all their oil money is managed by the government, who does the investing. Look at China...

Some may complain over human rights, freedom or democracy in Chinas case, but they're slowly turning China into an economic power that'll one day Swallow US if it continues. I hope that the current government in Turkey is making countermeasures to prevent the business style from the west. I don't want to see big companies taking over all SME and get monopoly. Nor do I want to see foreign banks taking over all the banks in Turkey, which is why I support that the state owns controlling stakes in all bigger entreprises, but allow private firms to run the business.

It's something that needs to be thought through of course...

E.g. Danish goverment owns up to 30%+ shares of DONG if not more and they have people supervising the states interest, which is nice.

TDC was bought by americans and they pulled it out from Denmark, the americans used a loophole to get this deal through, but the government of denmark is at fault too, they knew the loophole existed, but thought whoever buys TDC would run it responsibly... "jackasses"

Saithan, i follow you thoroughly, but i think that Turkey still operates with quite tight regulations by the state unlike the US and other ultra capitalistic countries. It is important that you keep the balance, because if everything becomes state controlled then you have the issue of a corrupted government who totally abuses national products.

We have seen this in Turkish firms, where after being privatized the companies operated much more efficiently. I am not saying that it is a pro-pro scenario, but there are certainly benefits about it.
Yet i totally agree that regulations are vital in national economy. A perfect example is Island, where very weak regulations of the Banks resulted in total bankrupcy of the whole country, and therefore they needed a "country bail-out".

And you have to keep in mind with the Chinese example that, China's economy flourished when the economic liberalization began in 1978. The party leaders of the National Party Congress's 11th Central Committee in 1978 decided to undertake a program of gradual but fundamental reform of the economic system. They concluded that centrally planned economy had failed to produce efficient economic growth and had caused China to fall far behind not only the industrialized nations of the West but also the new industrial powers of Asia, herein Japan, South Korea, Singapore etc. So basically by increasing the market mechanism the system reduced government planning and direct control. And By 1987 the program had achieved remarkable results in increasing supplies of food and other consumer goods and had created a new climate of dynamism and opportunity in the economy. At the same time, however, the reforms also had created new problems and tensions, leading to intense questioning and political struggles over the program's future. So basically the Government reinstated its direct control of some aspects of the market.

As seen above, China is an excellent example of how pure state control can badly effect the country (pre 1978), but on the other hand, a pure public sector without the influence of state regulations also fail (as in the case of Island). Hence, as i mentioned before, it is important to operate a good market strategy that can be beneficient.

as my next door guy from Turkey , he says until Turkey is behaving like pet of US , Turkish leaders will go for EU membership and the day these leaders will bee free from US no one in turkey really wish to become a pert of EU ...people is turkey are not willing to merge in a bloc where their culture will be suppressed and they fear other problems too like excessive property buying by EU nationals in Turkey and literally one day Turkey will be sold to EU nationals.

as my next door guy from Turkey , he says until Turkey is behaving like pet of US , Turkish leaders will go for EU membership and the day these leaders will bee free from US no one in turkey really wish to become a pert of EU ...people is turkey are not willing to merge in a bloc where their culture will be suppressed and they fear other problems too like excessive property buying by EU nationals in Turkey and literally one day Turkey will be sold to EU nationals.

I understand your argument, and I have to agree to a certain point. A lot of EU people and probably others are buying houses and such in turkey especially in areas like Alanya etc. however I don't know what kind of control the government has in place with such things. There should be restrictions on turning areas into "ghetto".

One reason why foreigners can buy properties in turkey is connected with an agreement with other countries where Turks live, so turkish people can buy properties in other countries as well. I don't quite understand why that is necessary seeing as how I consider Turkey being a much better place to own property that e.g. Denmark.

^^ people from EU will buy homes in Turkey as vacations or retirements ..that means 4 times maximum in a year they will arrive in Turkey and Turkish people buy home flats for temporary living or to settle down ... so there is a difference .

I personally see Turkish guys do not like it other then Turkey...

Excuse the language but puck the EU!

The EU has nothing to offer Turkey except for being a good market for Turkish goods and services.

Turkey should seek a political association in its East.

Turkey has plenty of free trade agreement and concessions relating to economic activity with the European Union. If I were Turkey's PM, I would look at this from a self interest point of view of course. Take advantage of European investment but stay away from actual political integration into the European Union.

Yes, that is what we're hoping for as well. Giving up and abandoning decades of effort is plain stupid, so I don't think Turkey will ever do that. We don't want the EU to say, "well we wanted Turkey to join us, but they declined out offer."

It's plain as daylight that they don't want Turkey in the EU, but it's better for Turkey if it's the EU who makes that decision for political reasons of course.

Back
Top Bottom