What's new

Devanagari (Hindi) Script

Good initiative . I learned देवनागरी as well as common Hindi as part of my work in the 90's.

Not exactly. Dharma means "righteousness".

Sorry MilesTogo, I differ wih you and goes with EjazR explanation. "Dharma" has same meaning (Not 100% but upto maximum extent) as "Deen". Akbar started a new religion for every named it "Deen-e-ilahi".

Sorry MilesTogo, I differ wih you and goes with EjazR explanation. "Dharma" has same meaning (Not 100% but upto maximum extent) as "Deen". Akbar started a new religion for every named it "Deen-e-ilahi".

Under Vedic philosophy , Dharma means more of characteristics of an object. A metal also have it's dharma and so do other elements of nature.

Under Vedic philosophy , Dharma means more of characteristics of an object. A metal also have it's dharma and so do other elements of nature.

Dharma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dharma (help·info) (Sanskrit: dhárma, Pāḷi dhamma) is a multivalent term of great importance in Indian philosophy and religions. In a Hindu context, it means one's righteous duty,[1] and a Hindu's dharma is affected by a person's age, class, occupation, and gender.[2] In modern Indian languages it can be equivalent simply to religion, depending on context. The word dharma translates as that which upholds or supports, and is generally translated into English as law.
According to the various Indian religions, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, beings that live in accordance with Dharma proceed more quickly toward dharma yukam, moksha or nirvana (personal liberation).
The antonym of dharma is adharma meaning unnatural or immoral.
In traditional Hindu society, dharma has historically denoted a variety of ideas, such as Vedic ritual, ethical conduct, caste rules, and civil and criminal law. Its most common meaning however pertains to two principal ideals: that social life should be structured through well-defined and well-regulated classes (varna), and that an individual's life within a class should be organized into defined stages (ashrama, see dharmasastra).[3]

Dharma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dharma (help·info) (Sanskrit: dhárma, Pāḷi dhamma) is a multivalent term of great importance in Indian philosophy and religions. In a Hindu context, it means one's righteous duty,[1] and a Hindu's dharma is affected by a person's age, class, occupation, and gender.[2] In modern Indian languages it can be equivalent simply to religion, depending on context. The word dharma translates as that which upholds or supports, and is generally translated into English as law.
According to the various Indian religions, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, beings that live in accordance with Dharma proceed more quickly toward dharma yukam, moksha or nirvana (personal liberation). The antonym of dharma is adharma meaning unnatural or immoral.

This is not quite OK ... rather than Dharma being affected by class occupation etc, it would be more accurate to say that Dharma is affected by evolutionary status (personal spiritual evolution toward Enlightenment, Nirvana).

For example, Albert Einstein had praised vegetarianism, but vegetarianism is not equally important for people at different stages.

In traditional Hindu society, dharma has historically denoted a variety of ideas, such as Vedic ritual, ethical conduct, caste rules, and civil and criminal law. Its most common meaning however pertains to two principal ideals: that social life should be structured through well-defined and well-regulated classes (varna), and that an individual's life within a class should be organized into defined stages (ashrama, see dharmasastra).[3]

Caste is not a part of Sanatan Dharma. Varna is - but it has to be correctly understood as evolutionary status. It is not determined by birth or occupation.

Last edited:
What is the lateral( exact) meaning of Dharma in Sanskrit ? Hinduism did not exist in the Vedic time. It was Sanatan Dharm which was being practiced in that time period.

"Hindu" is not an Indic word. It was introduced in around 300 BC by the Greeks. Sanatan Dharma is the correct word to use for Indic (Bharateeya, भारतीय) philosophies, even today.

"Hindu" is not an Indic word. It was introduced in around 300 BC by the Greeks. Sanatan Dharma is the correct word to use for Indic (Bharateeya, भारतीय) philosophies, even today.

Sanatan Dharma was also very tolerant towards secularism as many people were secular in the Vedic time.

Sanatan Dharma was also very tolerant towards secularism as many people were secular in the Vedic time.

Yes, I would agree with that statement. In India, spirituality has been regarded as a science. So Sanatan Dharma, the science of spiritual evolution, is just as secular as Mathematics. (Here "secular" is being used in the sense of being independent of superficial rituals and cultural practices.)

Santana Dharma is the same as Hinduism. Hindu is just a word given to Indians.

According to Hinduism, ALL religions are true. I cannot see it getting any more secular than this.

There is no word for the exact definition or meaning in English. It's something along the lines of "One's righteous duty".

Everyone in this world can be classified as a Hindu, even Atheists who dont believe in god (Kriya Yogi/someone who believes only in their own hard work)

In a sense, Hinduism is a way of life rather than an organized religion like the Abrahamic faiths or even Buddhism or Jainism. Dharma is correct/righteous path you choose as you face decisions and Karma is what you get based on the decisions you took - if you followed your dharma - you get good karma...you get the picture.

Being myself a linguistics enthusiast , I personally enjoy reading Vedic literatures to understand the evolution of the North Indic languages. To my observation, there are only three modern day Indic languages have kept their Sanskrit heritage alive . These are Assamese, Bengali and Marathi. The other Indic languages like Punjabi and Gujarati have largely lost their Sanskrit touch due to heavy Persian-Arabic infusion. Same applies to casual Hindi while more pro-Sanskrit Hindi is hard to find in casual conversations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom